full length or neck sizing on a short fat case?

ZAK13

Recently I decided on a new rifle chambered in 6.8W. Now looking at all the reloading dies available, I see most brands are offering a full-size die set, there are a few that offer a neck sizing die. Which is better for a short fat cartridge like the 6.8W? I reload quite a few different calibers already, new cases are full length sized, after they are fire formed, the cases are then neck sized only. But now having my first short and fat cases to deal with, I'm not sure if I can or should reload as I have with other the calibers I have.

Recently I decided on a new rifle chambered in 6.8W. Now looking at all the reloading dies available, I see most brands are offering a full-size die set, there are a few that offer a neck sizing die. Which is better for a short fat cartridge like the 6.8W? I reload quite a few different calibers already, new cases are full length sized, after they are fire formed, the cases are then neck sized only. But now having my first short and fat cases to deal with, I'm not sure if I can or should reload as I have with other the calibers I have.

There is nothing 'short' about it, and assuming a good magnum action, tenon, and sufficient strength breach, it all comes down to your chamber clearances. With a sloppy chamber, you'll have to body size soon and onward every time from there.
With a fitted chamber (to new brass), you might get away with bushing NS and shoulder bumping only. It's a custom die for this.
I would never FL size necks, regardless of all else, and would plan for a body die use or body-bushing die.

For specific guns where the brass has been shot only in that gun, I neck size/shoulder bump.
For semi autos, I FL, and for some specific ones like my 6.8 SPC or AR10, I'll use a small base die.

I use a neck die that has been honed to my spec on ALL new brass after it has been touched up on the case mouth to make it round before going in the die. I do not like or use what diameter factory brass is.
After this neck sizing at about 80% (average) of the neck sized, final size is done in a mandrel at the same 80%.
I then DO NOT use that neck only die again, all my brass is PARTIAL FL sized, whether in a body only die, or in a modified FL die.

Cheers.

For specific guns where the brass has been shot only in that gun, I neck size/shoulder bump.
For semi autos, I FL, and for some specific ones like my 6.8 SPC or AR10, I'll use a small base die.

This.

Why are you all saying FL resize? Did you not read the OP? He (she?) asks what to do after first firing. Not before the first loading.

I mean, there is debate about just neck sizing, versus bumping the brass a couple thou and pressing the body back a touch.

FL resizing every time was conscribed to the garbage heap a long while ago I thought, unless you had a autoloader....

This.

Why are you all saying FL resize? Did you not read the OP? He (she?) asks what to do after first firing. Not before the first loading.

I mean, there is debate about just neck sizing, versus bumping the brass a couple thou and pressing the body back a touch.

FL resizing every time was conscribed to the garbage heap a long while ago I thought, unless you had a autoloader....
The op only asked what die set to buy.

The op only asked what die set to buy.
This is true.
But his last sentence, the way I read it, leaves him open to other ideas.

But now having my first short and fat cases to deal with, I'm not sure if I can or should reload as I have with other the calibers I have.

This would be a good opportunity to learn how to shoulder bump with a FL die, IMO.
Otherwise, it does not matter which method you use. Short fat cases do not affect method.