First Elk hunt & Bull

Don Rackley

Took this guy on Oct 3, Unit 201 in CO. He was 500 yards across a ravine, one shot from Rem 7mm mag, Nosler 160 AB at 2,900ft/sec.

Packing him out the next day was a real chore!

Attachments

• Elk pic.jpg
    Elk pic.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
That's awesome and congrats. The hunt and experience ends in 3 seconds. It's the hunt that matters and who you spend it with most. Enjoy your hard earned harvest and memories that were made.

Took this guy on Oct 3, Unit 201 in CO. He was 500 yards across a ravine, one shot from Rem 7mm mag, Nosler 160 AB at 2,900ft/sec.

Packing him out the next day was a real chore!

Very nice. Congratulations

I am here on SW CO with a friend helping me find a bull. First rifle season started here today, 14 Oct. There you were, got your very nice bull 11 days earlier with a 7RM. Is that a special season?

Very nice. Congratulations

I am here on SW CO with a friend helping me find a bull. First rifle season started here today, 14 Oct. There you were, got your very nice bull 11 days earlier with a 7RM. Is that a special season?

That NW Colorado tag is a hard one, did you have over 20 points in to draw? Excellent Bull!
Congratulations. And depending on your mind set, the fun can be over with the squeeze of the trigger. Very nice bull and great shooting.

Wow, thank you guys for questions and lots of interest.
Early Rifle season, Landowner tag, I know a guy......... Lots of $, no points, I'm not getting any younger.......
The memories are terrific, the trigger squeeze and shot was the beginning of the dénouement, a good friend of mine and I got even closer on this trip, I predict we will be lifelong friends.

Very fine bull! Yep, at 76 it's better for me to pay than wait for points. The Colorado system isn't very good for older hunters.

Recent Posts