First bull elk, finally!

This was not my first elk hunt, but the elk were undefeated against me up until this one. I was fortunate enough to chase these critters this time in a beautiful spot near White Sulphur Springs, MT with Anchor P Outfitters for the rifle opener. I put in a ton of practice behind my rifle to be ready for the hunt and ready for any shot within reasonable range. On day 4 this 6x6 gave me an opportunity at 157yds and my 6.5 GAP 4S was more than enough! After a double lung hit just behind the shoulder with a 140gr Accubond, he took two steps uphill and tipped over. I could not be happier with the results, and a full freezer is always a perfect payoff. After reading just about every line on this forum regarding the 6.5mm calibers for elk, I swapped my 300WM for the GAP 4S and was looking forward to putting it to the test. This shot certainly didn't push any limits, but after opening up that animal I will be absolutely confident going forward in that combo performing at 3-4X the distance. I'll be back on the DIY chase next year, but I learned a ton from the guides there and hopefully I can improve my record!
View attachment 110440 View attachment 110441 View attachment 110442 View attachment 110443 View attachment 110444 View attachment 110445 View attachment 110446 View attachment 110447
Beautiful animal and great shot. Nice first bull

Congrats! No worries about all that long range shooting an only having to make a chip shot. We never know how the season will turn out and chance favors the prepared. Sooner or later, you will see a season where being able to throw down and shoot makes the difference between tagging and going home empty.

This was not my first elk hunt, but the elk were undefeated against me up until this one. I was fortunate enough to chase these critters this time in a beautiful spot near White Sulphur Springs, MT with Anchor P Outfitters for the rifle opener. I put in a ton of practice behind my rifle to be ready for the hunt and ready for any shot within reasonable range. On day 4 this 6x6 gave me an opportunity at 157yds and my 6.5 GAP 4S was more than enough! After a double lung hit just behind the shoulder with a 140gr Accubond, he took two steps uphill and tipped over. I could not be happier with the results, and a full freezer is always a perfect payoff. After reading just about every line on this forum regarding the 6.5mm calibers for elk, I swapped my 300WM for the GAP 4S and was looking forward to putting it to the test. This shot certainly didn't push any limits, but after opening up that animal I will be absolutely confident going forward in that combo performing at 3-4X the distance. I'll be back on the DIY chase next year, but I learned a ton from the guides there and hopefully I can improve my record!
View attachment 110440 View attachment 110441 View attachment 110442 View attachment 110443 View attachment 110444 View attachment 110445 View attachment 110446 View attachment 110447

Congratulations on the first bull

You're one bull elk ahead of me, and a dandy to boot! Good for you and thanks for sharing your hunt with pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts