First Elk hunt, first bull and hooked!

Cornholeo

My buddy and I both pulled tags for a hunt in southern Wyoming this year, my first hunt and his second. We were both able to take a bull, him the first day, me the last. After Hurricane Matthew moved past us we hit the road and drove to Saratoga.

I thought I had somewhat prepared for the physical part of it hitting the elliptical daily for an hour; not even close. From the flatland of NE Florida to the mountains of southern Wyoming, the altitude was brutal. We arrived a few days early to acclimate but it did not seem to help, sleep being the biggest problem.

Gear wise, merino wool was definitely my friend from base layer to jacket. The only place it was a little cool was in strong winds in the open. The wool repelled snow fairly well and was way better at letting perspiration out than my gortex. The Eberlestock X2 pack I picked up in the LRH store served me well.

I used a Rem700 in 6.5CM built by Nine Run Gun in SE Ga. 140gr AB at 2650FPS was my chosen load. Shooting that rifle suppressed was so **** quiet the other bulls around mine didn't even stop bugling when I shot. 2 shots downhill at 225yds. He went into the timber and we let him lie to bleed out.
3q8XJval.jpg

The sunset minutes after taking the bull.
8JVm7Kfl.jpg

My budddy's bull taken at 40 yds with his Rem700 pistol in 284Win shooting 160gr ABs.
Czz77Gtl.jpg

That is without a doubt some of the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on. We are already planning another trip out.

Great job! Thanks for sharing your story. Cool that your buddy got his with his pistol.

Hi cornholeo,

Those are beautiful bulls. Congratulations.

Hunting bull elk during rut is addictive.

The first thing that comes to new hunters' minds after they kill their first bull is the size of them.

The most fun I have ever had hunting. Here are a few pics as promised:
9dXwyKBl.jpg

One of the mountains we hunted, Mt. Kenaday I believe it is.
Hp06pOgl.jpg

Weather blowing across the valleys is always impressive to me, I guess because yoi don't see that in Fl.
bljiwcwl.jpg

Like hunting in a postcard.
mxgvQtAl.jpg

Welcome and congrats on a beauty! Elk hunting is very similar to a Spiritual Experience...it can be "He--" or Heaven", ha depending upon the terrain/weather/etc....glad you and you hunting pardner had a taste of 'Heaven"! At my age and ability now, I much, very much so, prefer Late Season Cow elk shot out of hayfields, ha!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.