Feral Hog Info

As a landowner I'll tell you- if you let people hunt once for free they bug the crap out of you after that. I let a couple of my customers hunt a place free of charge--and that became uncomfortable because before long they used it like it was their own--bringing kids--cousins, etc...it was partly my fault as I didn't set good boundaries...so the easiest boundary we have now--is some property we lease--and some my family hunts...and if anyone else comes out is by invitation only.

Part of me hates it--I see people lease places and the opportunity to hunt becomes increasingly expensive. It was a huge part of my upbringing and something I got to do with relative convenience.. Kind of funny in the early to mid 80s I always wanted a freestyle BMX bike ride around and eat at restaurants ,and all I got to do was drive around in jeep and hunt--so I guess we all want what we don't have.

Where has making it illegal to hunt or charge to hunt any invasive species worked for controlling the invasive species?
Oregon.
Oregon -had- a feral hog problem. They made profiting to hunt them illegal, since they damage property all the landowners let the state remove them. If you cant profit from them, you dont want them around and will do whatever it takes to eradicate them.

How would this eradicate pigs?

If you think Hogs are an expensive problem, wait until you let people in that want to hunt for free.
If you cant profit from charging people to hunt them landowners will do whatever it takes to eradicate them as quickly as possible since they are so damaging. In Oregon, landowners are required to report them to fish and game who comes in and removes them.
You can legally hunt them, just not profit from it as a landowner. Any pigs that flee to public lands get killed by deer hunters.

As a USDA Conservationist, I worked with several of the large ranches in Northwest Texas. One of the ranchers was suspected to have imported some of the European Wild Boar on his place for sport. I did not see many until the mid to late '80s when the population boomed in the counties where I worked. Yes, I enjoyed hunting them and came to the realization that if the feral hogs were not completely eliminated, we would have to learn how to manage them. Trapping has been the most successful method that I have witnessed. My observation has been that if the entire sounder (family) is not captured and eliminated, the problem will return.

It's not just about money, it's about controlling free access.

Think of it like this, would you want any bozo out there shooting in, around or near your cattle or your neighbor's cattle?

If you have never had a hog problem, count your blessings, but don't blame the farmer or rancher for charging/leasing the land to try to somewhat control who comes and goes. The liability alone in an accident would exceed any revenue.

You may not like it or understand it, but if you have hunted public access, then you see where the potential problem is, now make it a 1000 fold worse because 90% of pig hunting is done in the dark.
I am having difficulty understanding your reasoning for charging a fee to hunt on your land? Does charging a fee to hunt on one's land minimize the "bozo" hunters who one is allowing to hunt on their property? Charging a fee to cover expenses, yes I can agree with that, but not to weed out bozo hunters. Any outfitter or experienced guide "will" tell you that there is no amount of money that will minimize or weed out the "BOZOS"!! For me this concept is difficult to understand, and this is not about "understand" this is about logic as well as experience hunting with various outfitters with groups of hunters. Money has nothing to do with weeding out "bozo" hunters!!! If nothing else, charging a fee only increases one's liability, not decreases it. If a land owner is concerned about liability issues from a person they are allowing to hunt on their property, have them sign a liability waiver. Most any state honor liability waivers, most outfitters will have their hunters sign a liability waiver before they will take a hunter out. As Bob said there are people/outfitters out there who will charge a fee for just about anything. Capitalism dictating policy, the good old American way!! Money has nothing to do with inexperience or total disrespect for a person's property, animals, firearms or the game being hunted. Sorry I totally and respectfully disagree with your reply here.

The back and forth conversation is interesting.
Recently I read here that the "super hog" in Canada is weather adaptive, moving to the border of the US. That sounds like a problem if true.
The problem with these hogs according to the article is shooting them, or at them, is making it worse. Trapping is the only effective method found so far.
If ranchers do not want the cost of trapping or allow wildlife services efforts what then?
If these hogs intersect with the species further south, and breed with those animals, will both countries have a comprehensive strategy to deal with that?
I guess we would need an "all in" approach.
If only the majority sees this as a massive threat and the minority doesn't, these animals will out- breed the lack of commitment on eradication.
That means the native population of big game and American livestock is threatened by habitat destruction, disease, right?
Eradication is going to be an exponentially more expensive project if we stay on the current path.

We had hogs allover the area where we live. Almost everyone here is a hunter and love shooting hogs and yotes. Over the past years just my neighbor and us shot and trapped a few hundred of them. Have not seen hide nor hair of a HOG in our area for over a year now. We just shot them out??? Maybe the hogs left moved to another area, but can't have fun going out night around here. I periodicity put corn and hog attractant out in our Hog Feeders and no HOGS or pictures.

@Alibiiv if there are two pieces of property within a reasonable distance, one is free and one charges, which do you think gets the most pressure? I took enough people hunting for free to learn that I didn't want anyone on the property, regardless of the profit. People just are not good stewards of the resources they do not pay a premium for or own outright.

Pigs are not deer, elk, antelope or sheep, they have 3 or more litters a yr, they are compact and can easily avoid detection. Pressure, hunting, educates them, a smart pig is a hard to kill pig.

There is a tipping point, you walk a fine line with hunting. Poor shots or reckless hunters do more to educate pigs than a single hunter shooting 1 or 2 every few days. Trapping is the best method, I have literally caught pigs within hours of setting up traps. The very first trap I sat back in the 90s caught over 40 the first time I set it. The problem with trapping is monitoring the trap, God forbid you let a pig die because of dehydration and a tree hugger finds out, even if you intend to put lead in it's brainpan.

I have a pecan orchard that the pigs destroy each fall when the pecans start to fall. My dad is too old and his health is bad to help, so I basically give the pecans to a local farmer's market in exchange for a few pounds of shelled pecans for my dad. They come in and shake the trees to keep the pigs from getting them. We had a nice wild turkey population in and around our place, the pigs wiped them out. I would see 1 or 2 just about everytime I was at the farm, we didn't hunt them. It has been decades since I have seen or heard one.

If you think pig hunting is profitable like deer hunting, you are mistaken. People expect a nice dry or warm blind, corn, feeder, cameras and easy access, start adding that up and then factor in the maintenance of everything, the monitoring of the "customers" and you soon have a very tiresome job that pays **** little.

Traps are just as big a hassle as hunters, I have done both and I hate both. It's obvious that some people have never had the luxury of having feral pigs on their property or they would not be saying charging is the problem, the whole **** thing is a problem, short of all out war, it is a battle we slowly lose daily, the longer it goes, the further it gets out of hand. When these little damnations start effecting deer, elk, antelope and sheep areas, maybe y'all will understand exactly how big a problem it becomes regardless of how you try to handle it. The last person you want helping is a government official. I had a state agent reach out to me about pigs, hunting versus trapping and what they needed to do to study them. I wasted 8 months of my life trying to help them, they refused to believe anything other than what another state biologist told them, even when given visual proof of the best methods.

Things I observed, you rarely see good deer on the same camera you see pigs. You learn to cage/trap feeders so pigs cannot access the corn or bait, pigs will eat anything, including each other.

Trap and kill is the best method and even that can get you hurt. Shot these 5, but not before they broke the 14g galvanized wire tieing the panels together directly in front of me, one brushed my leg as they exited. The panels were overlapped and they still managed to break out. That trap was also about 30yds from the kitchen door.

The big boar took me several months of "hunting" to finally get him, and getting him meant stripping my boots off and putting the sneak on him downwind. He was tearing up my dad's garden just about every night. The barrel on that 6.5 Creedmoor is 24" long for reference.
IMG_5607.jpeg
IMG_5605.jpeg

IMG_5606.jpeg

IMG_5613.jpeg

IMG_5561.jpeg
IMG_5560.jpeg

If you think pig hunting is profitable like deer hunting, you are mistaken. People expect a nice dry or warm blind, corn, feeder, cameras and easy access, start adding that up and then factor in the maintenance of everything, the monitoring of the "customers" and you soon have a very tiresome job that pays **** little.
Isnt pig hunting in Texas a million dollar industry?

I am having difficulty understanding your reasoning for charging a fee to hunt on your land? Does charging a fee to hunt on one's land minimize the "bozo" hunters who one is allowing to hunt on their property? Charging a fee to cover expenses, yes I can agree with that, but not to weed out bozo hunters. Any outfitter or experienced guide "will" tell you that there is no amount of money that will minimize or weed out the "BOZOS"!! For me this concept is difficult to understand, and this is not about "understand" this is about logic as well as experience hunting with various outfitters with groups of hunters. Money has nothing to do with weeding out "bozo" hunters!!! If nothing else, charging a fee only increases one's liability, not decreases it. If a land owner is concerned about liability issues from a person they are allowing to hunt on their property, have them sign a liability waiver. Most any state honor liability waivers, most outfitters will have their hunters sign a liability waiver before they will take a hunter out. As Bob said there are people/outfitters out there who will charge a fee for just about anything. Capitalism dictating policy, the good old American way!! Money has nothing to do with inexperience or total disrespect for a person's property, animals, firearms or the game being hunted. Sorry I totally and respectfully disagree with your reply here.
This is exactly what I was thinking all along. If someone pays to hunt they may feel a sense of entitlement to get their dollars worth and be more careless.