Feral Hog Info

One cannot place corn feeders on every 10 acre ranchette, and expect not to have pests of many kinds.

Not opposed to such, but with the rain comes mud.
I have a place in TX that borders several thousand acres of national forest. For years those pests caused a lot of havoc on my place. I shot one every time I got the chance...daytime, nighttime, thermal, scope with green light.
After the plandemic, the price of corn went sky high. My son, who had been feeding corn and protein saw the light and stopped. So did a lot of other people who got tired of paying the high prices for deer feed that mostly went to hogs.
It has been almost 2 years since I have seen any sign of hogs on my place. Take that for what it is worth.

If you cant profit from charging people to hunt them landowners will do whatever it takes to eradicate them as quickly as possible since they are so damaging. In Oregon, landowners are required to report them to fish and game who comes in and removes them.
You can legally hunt them, just not profit from it as a landowner. Any pigs that flee to public lands get killed by deer hunters.

I can't see this as plausible. This is a classic causation correlation fallacy. if they did eradicate them, it wasn't because the ranchers lost an income stream and became motivated to get rid of them.

The presence of wild pigs will always cost ranchers more money than they bring in.

I am having difficulty understanding your reasoning for charging a fee to hunt on your land? Does charging a fee to hunt on one's land minimize the "bozo" hunters
Yes! 100%. People who value the experience enough to pay good money are almost always far more respectful than the free hunters.

Charging going rates is a dang good filter to weed out bozos.

If you cant profit from charging people to hunt them landowners will do whatever it takes to eradicate them as quickly as possible since they are so damaging. In Oregon, landowners are required to report them to fish and game who comes in and removes them.
You can legally hunt them, just not profit from it as a landowner. Any pigs that flee to public lands get killed by deer hunters.
They were a problem for a while out by the Ochoco National Forest, but talking to ODFW, I was told their heaviest populations were down by the Cali border on the coast side. You know of areas where they are still a problem?

They were a problem for a while out by the Ochoco National Forest, but talking to ODFW, I was told their heaviest populations were down by the Cali border on the coast side. You know of areas where they are still a problem?
I dont.
Ive heard the same rumors about the Cali border but I've never tried down there. It make sense since California does have a feral hog season some may cross over ( to their quick demise. )

I dont.
Ive heard the same rumors about the Cali border but I've never tried down there. It make sense since California does have a feral hog season some may cross over ( to their quick demise. )
And Kommiefornia Dept.of fish and Wildlife charges for pig tags. A feral non Indigenous animal. Extortion. Next pay for coyote tags. Most pig hunting in Ca. is on private land. Where they charge an average $500 to kill a pig. Cheaper to buy in market. A big business that doesn't want to eradicate feral hogs.

And Kommiefornia Dept.of fish and Wildlife charges for pig tags. A feral non Indigenous animal. Extortion. Next pay for coyote tags. Most pig hunting in Ca. is on private land. Where they charge an average $500 to kill a pig. Cheaper to buy in market. A big business that doesn't want to eradicate feral hogs.
Insane!

I can't recall exactly, but I think a couple of states have banned hog hunting. Claiming they'll handle it, and hunters just complicate removal.
I just read that. Lol. Huh ? Why...? I can't remember the southern state. Maybe Kentucky. I'm probably wrong. What are the motives ? Cash ? Pig tags ? Farmers charging to hunt? Here, I don't care. They can create their own problems and extortion of feral animals .

Where has making it illegal to hunt or charge to hunt any invasive species worked for controlling the invasive species?

You are suggesting that the government will tell me that I cannot earn a profit off hunting an invasive species that is consuming the resources that I own???? And that the aforementioned "government" is going to handle the problem for me.....in a timely fashion.....at no charge without any damage to my property?

They can't control the border....what makes you think they could control feral hogs?

Private land owners and basically no limit on who, what, when and how you can kill feral hogs is one if not the only solution that has put a dent in their numbers.

Public land in the great state of TEXAS makes up less than 5% of our land mass. So go ahead and kill 100% of the hogs that cross onto or live on public land here.

Heres the loud part you kept quiet.....
"I'm from the government and I'm here to help you" gtfoh with that nonsense! More government involvement is rarely if ever the answer to ANY problem!
They can't control the border....what makes you think they could control feral hogs?

I'm from the government and I'm here to help you" gtfoh with that nonsense! More government involvement is rarely if ever the answer to ANY problem!
Amen, yeah verily!

I'm not completely sure I have a grip on solving this.
However, I can tell you one thing for sure. After reading all this, very good dialogue, I am ready to get back down south and bust the chops off some hogs. Anybody that wants to see some layin still, I'm ready!
This has got me fired up for it. With the job, I haven't been able to shoot a hog since 2008. I think I'm just about overdue.