Feral Hog Info

I've killed them with a knife. Same method but we just pick them up by a back leg and slip a knife in the heart from the ribs, don't try to get them down. They die standing just fine.
I agree when it's a group of guys, that is in the picture I sent. But that would be tough alone. Most the hard core dog hunters who hunt for a living or maybe a part time living do it alone.

Talking with others, Fish and Foul biologist says the pigs have picked up some sort of disease that is causing the sow to abort but that is secondhand information.
One of the diseases that feral hogs have contracted and carried is Brucellosis or Bang's Disease. It can be transmitted to several other species, also causing fetal loss. It can also be transmitted to humans, causing undulant fever. It is recommended that protective clothing and sanitary precautions be taken when dressing feral hogs.

I thought about my response and those of the other members here, I think we are blurring the lines, guilty myself, there is opportunity and there is a problem.

There are people who profit from hog hunting, but it is in addition to what ever they currently offer as "day hunts", not solely relying pigs for a steady revenue stream.

There are people who have a legitimate problem and they handle it the best way they can, being a farmer or rancher is a full time gig, there is not always time to kill pigs. That is where the helicopter and professional hunter comes into play, guys like this

His group do this pretty much every night, I haven't followed him in quite a while, but he's the real deal pig killing machine.

I agree there are issues with hunting/outfitting for pigs, one is they limit the number of pigs to maximize profit, that is wrong.

Watch the video, there are plenty of them from DJONES and his cohorts and then ask yourself, do you want someone out there among your cattle and equipment that occasionally hunt or shoot and rarely at night or with NV or thermal?

As for getting married, he married the wrong woman. But if he was a nice feller, he would let me in on his contacts.;)
That was ~30 years ago after he had been laid off from one of his Silicon Valley jobs. Still married, in their mid sixties, they raised six kids together. I'd say she is a darned great woman -- and a tough one to put up with a stubborn mule like him. 🤣

I used to work with some guys that hunted with dogs in Oklahoma. They talked several different times about taking them to new spots without hogs and turn them loose to get more places to hunt. I asked what it was doing to the people who lived around there and they didn't seem to care.

I used to work with some guys that hunted with dogs in Oklahoma. They talked several different times about taking them to new spots without hogs and turn them loose to get more places to hunt. I asked what it was doing to the people who lived around there and they didn't seem to care.
Those that do that should be thrown in jail.

I went on a few dog and knife hunts when I lived in SC. One of the biggest rushes one can legally experience!

It was not uncommon for the die-hards to lose a dog to a gator every now and then, since trudging through the swamp in the dark can lead to bad things.

The guys I went with took 4" and 6" blades. My second hog was in the 250 lb range, and my K-Bar didn't feel big enough. I bought a Tops Steel Eagle Tanto with an 11" blade and never looked back.

And Kommiefornia Dept.of fish and Wildlife charges for pig tags. A feral non Indigenous animal. Extortion. Next pay for coyote tags. Most pig hunting in Ca. is on private land. Where they charge an average $500 to kill a pig. Cheaper to buy in market. A big business that doesn't want to eradicate feral hogs.
The cost for guided private land is alot more than $500 bucks. On the cheap about$800 on the normal around $1200 . So not cheap! They did make the cost cheaper even for outa state it's a single cost not a cost per pig tag as it was a few years ago . Just a 1time per year .