Favorite uncommon calibers

I to have the 357 and the 30 harret . I've only got around to loading for the 357 . It's a great caliber for what it is and I hope to take an elk with mine some day. It is always entertaining to explain what you're shooting to someone that asks. They see the pistol and its unique to most as they haven't seen a contender. It's better when you show them the round and offer to let them try it . So far no takers! Just under 1900 fps pushing a 180 gr xtp in a 10 inch barrel. I've got some 1680 to try I hear it's a ball of fire out the front.
Some ting like shooting the 7MM TCU. Small (556) case necked out to 7MM Hurts my hand after some 50 round shoot! Loved the round, HATED SHOOTING THE ROUND!😂😂

30 Herret and 357 Herrett for me. They aren't fast, but both have been accurate in my Contender.
Love my 30 Herrett. I bought the complete Contender with 3 barrels, 1 was the 30 Herrett, dies and brass included. The price I paid was more like theft but I liked the Herrett so much, I had a custom barrel made since the chamber on the factory barrel was not what you might call "aligned" with the bore but it shot pretty well. The new barrel is a sweet shooter for sure.

I bet it also destroys your wallet when you buy ammo for it. 😆
Yeah but have you seen how successful the .30-378 weatherby has become as a factory round? Makes no sense to me either, but some folks have money to burn. And the warbird is in many ways a better design (and I'm admitting that reluctantly as a guy who likes belts and curvy shoulders) and no more expensive than the warbird probably.

Well I'm a self admitted gun looney and as such theirs only one thing better than tinkering with guns and accessories. And that's discussing guns. So for entertainment and maybe some bragging rights on a old gun. What are some of your favorite not so common calibers and firearms. Mine right now would be 22 hornet, 38-55, 25-35 not really unheard of but not exactly main stream either. Any story's of Gramps old gun would be more than welcome 🤗
The 256 Newton, 32-40 Winchester, 416 Taylor, 45-90 WCF,

I did my early deer hunting with a sporterized 7.65 Argentine Mauser. Not easy to find brass for that one so we made it out of 30-06 cases. I also spent my early days grouse hunting in northern Minnesota using an ancient single shot 28 gauge. I love the 28 gauge and now have an autoloader and an over/under.

I did my early deer hunting with a sporterized 7.65 Argentine Mauser. Not easy to find brass for that one so we made it out of 30-06 cases. I also spent my early days grouse hunting in northern Minnesota using an ancient single shot 28 gauge. I love the 28 gauge and now have an autoloader and an over/under.
An old guy at the gun counter the other day was telling me about the joys of hunting pheasants with a 28. We don't have them where I live but in the south of the province they sure do. When I mentioned I've got family less than an hours drive north of the North Dakota/Saskatchewan border he gave me heck for not going down there and hunting pheasants haha, he said

"Listen to me son, if you've never been on a pheasant hunt with a good bird dog and a 28 gauge, you've never really lived"

Perhaps I'll just take his word on that and not find out for myself only to end up falling in love with another interest I don't have time or money for! 🤣🤣🤣

Recent Posts