Favorite Deer Rifle

Its kind of a toss up between a Savage 110 in 7mm Mag and a Remington 742 in 243. I used that 7 mag for mostly Mule deer in the Tx Panhandle Canyons and White tail on big wheat fields. I used the little Remington 742 on the N Canadian River and Washita River where my shots were not that far, 50 to 150 yards. I really like the 742 because it was light and not much recoil.

I have a 308 waypoint Springfield and they are really nice rifles!
I have two 308s. A 700 varmint contour that I built and an AR 10 that I built. Both shoot really well. Interestingly the AR 10 with 20" barrel will outshoot the 700 26" barrel accuracy wise to 600 yards. The 700 could use a barrel upgrade if I really wanted it to be crazy accurate. But it's a good shooter to 700 yards and I take it to 1000 occasionally and it will stay under moa for three shots or more if the wind is consistent.The Springfield is a good looking rifle. I have yet to shoot one.

It's kind of a toss up between a Savage 110 in 7mm Mag and a Remington 742 in 243. I used that 7 mag for mostly Mule deer in the Tx Panhandle Canyons and White tail on big wheat fields. I used the little Remington 742 on the N Canadian River and Washita River where my shots were not that far, 50 to 150 yards. I really like the 742 because it was light and not much recoil.
I have a 742 in the shop right now that will not even feed when I hand operate the bolt. The gun looks new. By the symptoms I really think it's a magazine problem. I just haven't picked up another mag to try. They are very light on recoil

I have a 742 in the shop right now that will not even feed when I hand operate the bolt. The gun looks new. By the symptoms I really think it's a magazine problem. I just haven't picked up another mag to try. They are very light on recoil
I had a similar issue with my 7400 - love it for hunting woods/timber. I bought 3 extra mags, no help/change. I put a spring kit in it and it works without failure now, with every mag. 30-06