Favorite Deer Rifle

264 WM Have been using it since 1963 when I bucked bails to earn enough to buy it. It cost all of $65 Was used with only a few rounds down the barrel ( less than a box of 20 ) A Remington 721.
I have the same setup that was handed down to me from my Dad that he purchased in 1960 it only has a few rounds a year go through it but it is deadly.

I have a Remington model 721 the Westerner in 264 Win. Mag. 26" barrel that was handed down to me by my Dad and it still shoots 3/4" groups. I looked at the 6.5 PRC and still ordered a custom 264 WM it was developed before the powders and bullets it needed.

It is not my favorite hunting rifle but my all time favorite, even though I never have shot it, it was my Dad's when his mind started to go mom told me to take all of his guns out of the house. My dad got it from his Aunt back in about 1968, it belonged to her husband, he was a Doctor dentist in about 1911 ,they would go up to what is Alaska now and go into the wilds to help the natives with illnesses and dental work. They were guided by native Indians ,he carried a Mauser 98 that had a solid rib on the barrel with claw mounts for a scope ,double set trigger, slender stock with a Schnabel for end with a horn grip cap it was in 8mm. One night he went out to relive his bladder and they figure he was about 50 yards from the tents, he yelled will be right back just about finished, he did not come back after about 30 minutes they went out to find him, was very dark as was in November and cold, no sign of him so they went out again at daylight, they walked to were the thought he had been, a lot of trampled grass, found his rifle that had never been fired but not him. His Aunt never had children nor remarried so when she was very late in life she gave my Dad her husbands rifle. His body was never found. I think I'll probably never shoot it, as the mysteries and stories that are attached to it are many and I probably would never want to know because, they are all gone now, and better left as is Pete

It's a hard call for my favorite but I tend to take my browning abolt ii 25th anniversary 30/06 the most. If it's not the browning it's my model 70 264 WM from 1979.

Update: Loving my new Mauser M18 in .243. I picked it up 4 months ago. So far I've harvested 4 Axis and 3 hogs all 100 - 400 yard, 1 shot kills using Hornady 95gr SST's. Call me old school, call me traditional, just don't call me late for dinner! Central, TX dinner fare is in the freezer, in the smoker or on the BBQ.
M18.JPG

Last edited: