Favorite Deer Rifle

Stand hunting in the PA woods,
cz 527 in 17 hornet. I've killed about 30 doe with it so far. I only shoot them in the eye. Anchors them every time.
Long range I use a 338 LM now, used to use a 7mm stw. Got tired of putting barrels on the 7mm. ( long range starts at 1000yrds for me)
What's your longest kill shot with the 338 LM? Nice caliber.

My favorite is a Winchester .270 Winchester bought in 1966 at the age of 18. I have carried it in the field more than all my other rifles combined, and I have quite a few. I use it exclusively, in Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. Don't get me wrong, I like my .270 WSM, .257 Roberts, my 7mm STW (long distance)... All Remington 700s. And there is my .300 Weatherby. And when it comes to black powder, I love my Knight D.I.S.C. WELL, I guess I like them all. There is a lot of stories recalled with each one, kills and some misses in the last 58 years, but my 270 holds the most.

IMG_3533.jpeg

35 Remington for the woods of Pennsylvania. Longest shot I ever took in Pa was 75 yards,

Last edited:
My favorite was a 1967 Remington 700 ADL in 7mm mag, got it in 1967 used it when I could while in the service, when I got out in 1969 used it all over Montana from Coyotes to Elk was light and was one of my most accurate 7's ever, it was $129.95 ..................................MY how the times have changed, Pete

Sako L579 Forrester given to me by my uncle around 2000. He purchased it in early 60's as a .243 and shot the bbl out on woodchucks. Had Flaigs (anyone remember them?) put a new .243 bbl on it and I shot woodchucks for years with it. Once they leagalized rifles for deer here I put a new bbl on it in .338 federal and have been deer hunting ever since with it. Since put a custom stock on it along with Timney trigger. Tiny, light action, great looking with lots of history behind it. 200 gn hornadys work great on deer also!
Beautiful stock on that Sako!

6.5 x 55 CZ 550lux ......Federal Fusion 140gr @2750fps
Bought KRIEK 125 lrh (S Africa - our own mono.........) to try out when my Fusions are depleted.
A very good elderly friend was in Virginia Beach last month, and I had googled for Speer Gold Dot 140gr bullets/ heads, for him to buy and bring to SA @ US$20.50.
He chickened out, as some dude had got caught at the airport trying to fly out somewhere with live ammo.....identical to Fed Fusion, so I lost out...

Last edited:
My go to hunting rifle in general is my South Texas Arms pigstick in 6.8spc, mostly because majority of my hunting and game animals are within it's lethality range. I can do anything with it in Texas, including kill Nilgai if I wanted to (it's a little more difficult but it can be done). Killed lots of pigs, some oryx, and definitely some speed goats and blackbucks.

Attachments

• IMG_20240211_111416-01.jpeg
    IMG_20240211_111416-01.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 42
I hunt in public land TN woods with rarely a long shot. What remains of my original deer rifle is a Rem 700 action - now with: Robert Gradous bolt knob, now in a self-bedded H-S Precision stock, with self-pillar bedded Badger Ordnance bottom metal, Accuracy International magazine, a replacement barrel with Kaw Valley blast director, Timney trigger, Talley Manufacturing Picatinny Rail with a 6.5x20 Vortex Scope, Bass Pro Quake Claw sling and self-Cerakoted finish to match my hunting best. Oh, and I shoot 308 with Nosler Accubond or BT seconds in front of VV N150 powder and magnum primers.

Attachments

• IMG_3457.jpeg
    IMG_3457.jpeg
    481.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited: