Favorite Deer Rifle

I had a Ruger m77 mark 2 wood/blued in 25-06 that I loved but like a darn fool I traded it. After a year without it I knew I had to have another ruger 25-06. My only complaint or want really was a stainless rifle that I could use and not feel bad about in any conditions.
This m77 Hawkeye stainless 25-06 came available the beginning of this year and I spent no time to make a deal on it.
The 25-06 and hammer combo is my favorite on whitetails it's flat,accurate and hits deer very hard.
View attachment 539777
For the deer woods on my property in Northwest Louisiana, I would have to say 25-06 (I have 2 SAKO's and 1 Browning X-Bolt in 25-06). However, I am becoming a big fan of 6.5 PRC. For elk out West—I would go with my 28 Nosler (although it's a barrel burner). Thanks

Today is this little Savage Lightweight in 6.5 CM. Great rifle for the GA woods where shots are no more 100-150 yards MAX. I saddle hunt a lot so light is key and with 140 Accubonds, nothing has made it more that 50 yards and most are DRT. Switching to Hammers this year. No, I don't have a man bun, but if it ain't broke…

IMG_2681.jpeg

Sako L579 Forrester given to me by my uncle around 2000. He purchased it in early 60's as a .243 and shot the bbl out on woodchucks. Had Flaigs (anyone remember them?) put a new .243 bbl on it and I shot woodchucks for years with it. Once they leagalized rifles for deer here I put a new bbl on it in .338 federal and have been deer hunting ever since with it. Since put a custom stock on it along with Timney trigger. Tiny, light action, great looking with lots of history behind it. 200 gn hornadys work great on deer also!
That's a beautiful piece of wood

Stand hunting in the PA woods,
cz 527 in 17 hornet. I've killed about 30 doe with it so far. I only shoot them in the eye. Anchors them every time.
Long range I use a 338 LM now, used to use a 7mm stw. Got tired of putting barrels on the 7mm. ( long range starts at 1000yrds for me)

My favorite is a 96 Swedish Mauser that is dated 1899 that I customized a few years ago. I put a ER Shaw bbl, Timney trigger, and turned down custom bolt handle on. I built the stock out of walnut using redwood burl for the end cap and grip cap. The relief carving on the stock was my first time. It shoots 1/4" groups @100yds and has dropped every deer I've ever shot with it in it's tracks. My longest kill with it is 515yds using Hornady 140 spire point bullets. I ask myself why do I own all these other rifles lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240612_075757_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240612_075757_Gallery.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 36
Stand hunting in the PA woods,
cz 527 in 17 hornet. I've killed about 30 doe with it so far. I only shoot them in the eye. Anchors them every time.
Long range I use a 338 LM now, used to use a 7mm stw. Got tired of putting barrels on the 7mm. ( long range starts at 1000yrds for me)
I like your confidence. Give 'em the ol pennsyltucky shut off switch with the fox rifle. I love it. From a fellow pennsyltuckian.

Recent Posts