Experimenting with the .30-30?

ducky

So I have this old Remington 788 in .30-30 that I just mounted a new scope on. So I've been playing with it a bit lately. It shoots FN bullets well, but I was thinking of loading up some pointy bullets to see what I can do.
1000005467.jpg

I don't have Quick Load and I can't find much more than handgun data for Contenders with spitzer bullets. I'm kind of wondering how fast I can push 125 gr NBT or 130gr TTSX bullets. I have data pushing the 125 gr FN Sierra PH to 2500 fps with H332. I'm wondering if there are any newer powders that can get me closer to 2700 fps staying within 42K psi in my rifle?

I (and others) might be able to help with some Ql data. But info like your max COAL (which may be your magazine) or may be where your guns throat peters out) would be helpful.

Do you have any of those bullets? Got a Hornady COAL gauge?

A bolt 30-30 is kind of a rarity. You should be able to get a lot more out of a bolt action, but the case is pretty small. I could not find a lot of references about case capacity, but experience tells me there is some space in there, with the right bullet.

Really, the issue is your ability to reload, accurately resize so that the reloads shoulder off the shoulder and not the rim, and then finding out where your COAL is at.

You *might* get close to 308 performance and you might have that rare sleeper gun in an oddball cartridge.

Or you could go buy any old .308 and save yourself the trouble......... They mostly all shoot well and your 30-30 bolt gun will most likely never do better....... Really depends -- do you have a sentimental reason to use that gun? Etc...

Finally, though the 30-30 case is indeed not a real heavy hitter (short base metal, IIRC) the 42k psi limit is based on lever actions. In the 788 bolt gun, you can certainly go higher. 64k creed psi? Maybe not! But over 42k, fur sur

I have 2 30-30 levers, a modern Marlin 336, and a 1906 Winchester that doesn't see much use, but I find rim dimension being critical.
I bought Hornady ammo with the pointy rubber tipped bullets for hog hunting, they did a fair job, however, with minimal sizing the third reload the brass cracked. Careful measuring proved the rims were thin and caused excessive headspace and case stretching.
Winchester brass measures as it should, never had an issue with this brass.
Just be aware that this happens with some brass brands.

Cheers.

30-30 is made from 38-55 brass and the 375 Win was based on the 38-55 parent case too. Bullet shape has nothing to do with max load. You can get some pretty good velocity out of a 30-30 in a bolt gun, and with spitzer bullets, you will have a much better trajectory. The 30-30 case will handle quite a lot more pressure than it is loaded to for levers, but if you are worried you can neck down 375 brass that is designed to operate at 55,000 PSI versus what most 30-30 are run at which 42,000 psi Sammi and 46,000 psi CIP, though most levers run loads around 35,000 to 39,000 psi. The 130 grain to 150 grain would be the range I chose for flat shooting and good on game performance. Loaded to their pressure potential you should be able to get them moving 2800 to 2900 fps quite easily.

Using Our 38-55 Ammo in 375 Winchester Chambered Rifles

Using Our 38-55 Ammo in 375 Winchester Chambered Rifles
Our 38-55 ammo is designed to work in all 38-55 chambered firearms made with modern metallurgy for smokeless powder. It operates at 38,000 CUP—the 30-30 Winchester operates at an average max. pressure of 38,500 CUP. For those who are not aware, the 30-30 case is simply a necked down 38-55 casing.

OUR 38-55 AMMO WORKS IN ALL WINCHESTER 375 RIFLES
Our 38-55 ammo is also designed to work in ALL 375 Winchester chambered rifles. ALL means ALL. Winchester, Savage, and Marlin all chambered rifles in 375 Winchester. All 375 Winchester rifles utilize chambers long enough to accept the 2.085 inch 38-55 brass, even though 375 Winchester brass is only 2.020 inches long. By using the longer 38-55 brass, we accomplish two things:
1. We get the bullet closer to the rifling's and this creates a generally more accurate load.
2. The longer 38-55 brass, with thinner case walls than 375 Winchester brass, gives much more case capacity and this allows chamber pressures to drop immensely. i.e. our 38-55 loads give the same performance (a 250gr. bullet @ 2000 fps) as the original 375 Winchester loading, but at only 38,000 CUP instead of the industry max. pressure of 52,000 CUP that the original 375 Winchester was rated at.
TIME-TESTED & WELL-PROVEN
The concept of using 38-55 brass to produce ammo for the 375 Winchester may be new to you, but it is not to us, so please simply read carefully and believe me. We've sold hundreds of thousands of rounds of this ammo and about half of it has been shot in 375 Winchester rifles. A couple years before I started making 38-55 ammo as Buffalo Bore Ammunition Company, I was shooting Marlin, Savage and Winchester 375 Winchester chambered rifles and was using good old every-day 38-55 brass in all of them. To be fair and give credit where it is due, it was both Brian Pearce and Mic McPherson that pointed out I could use common, readily available and affordable 38-55 brass to make full power 375 Winchester loads.
I've been doing it for almost 20 years now and have not over-looked anything. If I sound jaded on this subject, it is because I am. Trying to convince folks of anything new, can be a futile attempt, so I am publishing this short text on our site and those who choose to believe me are invited to and we would love to sell you our excellent 38-55 ammo for use in your 375 Winchester or your 38-55. You will love how it performs and you'll be glad you found a source of high quality high performance ammo for your 375 Winchester. As a customer, we owe you this type of high quality ammo and this type of time conserving straight talk. In our 17 years of doing business as Buffalo Bore Ammunition, many thousands of 375 Winchester chambered rifles have gobbled this ammo up and I've not had even one complaint, which I cannot say for all of our ammo.
BARREL BORE
.375 BORE RIFLES

We use a bullet that is sized .377 inch. I am aware that 375 Winchester chambered rifles utilize a .375 inch bore. When fired, the .377 inch bullet will slug/size right down to .375 without raising pressures (we've tested the heck out of this) this is in part due to the construction of the bullet, but also due to our powder choice.
.381 BORE RIFLES
We are also aware that many old 38-55 rifles utilize a bore diameter of up to .381 inch, but most are between .377 and .380 inch. At 38,000 cup, there is enough pressure generated by this cartridge to cause that .377 diameter bullet to hit the rifling lands and slug up to the bore diameter (all the way up to .381 inch) and give wonderful accuracy.
HARD CAST SOMEDAY? - MAYBE
We've considered making hard cast loads for 38-55 also, (I personally shoot hard cast 270gr. bullets in all of my several 38-55 rifles) but they are too hard to slug up when fired, so the user would have to know his bore diameter and because of this and the numerous questions it would generate, I am still holding off on making any hard cast loads. Further, when firing hard cast loads, they are also too hard to size down to a smaller bore diameter without raising pressures and the thought of a customer trying to shoot a .380 inch hard bullet down the .375 inch bore of a 375 Winchester, has me a bit nervous. So to date, hard cast loads for the 38-55 are not in production and may never be.
If you email me and ask if what I wrote here is true, I will simply refer you back to everything I wrote here…..I will not tell you something more or different than what I have put in writing here on the site. What is written here is based on decades of my experience with my own rifles and with selling hundreds of thousands of rounds of this ammo to the shooting public…… Thank you for carefully reading this information.
Good shooting and God bless.

Press Release for Buffalo Bore Heavy 30-30

Heavy 30-30 Winchester Ammo
190 gr. JFN @ 2100 fps (1,860 ft.lbs.)
20 Round Box

ITEM 28A

Buffalo Bore is introducing a truly Heavy 30-30 Winchester loading. This new load utilizes a 190gr. custom Hawk Bullet and gives the venerable 30-30 here-to-for unrealized power and is designed so that the person who owns a 30-30 can now reliably kill elk or moose sized game. The 30-30 can now be carried as a defensive tool in grizzly country and will be much more effective in stopping a grizzly attack than any other 30-30 ammunition in the world. This heavy 30-30 load is not designed for deer, although it will kill deer and if you line them up right, it will kill three or four deer with one shot……….

CUSTOM HAWK BULLET

The custom 190gr. Hawk Bullet is designed with a harder core and thicker than a normal jacket, so the expansion is minimal, thus ensuring very deep penetration which is needed to break large bones and destroy organs deep inside large game animals. This load generates an unreal 2100 fps from normal 20-inch carbines—this is the type of velocity that the ordinary 170gr. 30-30 loads generate, but again, we are using a 190gr. bullet. The product SKU# for this load is 28A/20.

-

Check the below real world velocities from my personal stock, over-the-counter firearms—truly amazing.

? 2,071 fps -- Marlin Model 336 20-inch saddle ring carbine circa 1950's
? 2,061 fps -- Win. Model 94 20-inch carbine circa 1980's
? 2,075 fps -- Win. Model 94 20-inch carbine circa 1953
? 2,116 fps -- Win. Model 94 20-inch carbine circa 1963
? 2,172 fps -- Marlin model 336A 24-inch carbine circa 1940's
? 2,146 fps -- Win. Model 94 20-inch carbine circa 1980's
? 2,020 fps -- Win. Model 94AE 16-inch Trapper carbine circa 1992
? 1,983 fps -- Savage 99 26-inch rifle circa 1917 - Not a Typo**

**Note that the longest barrel gave the slowest velocity and even the short 16 inch Winchester trapper model gives faster speeds than the 26-inch Savage 99 rifle, which shows that barrel length is not always the sole indicator of velocities a firearm will generate.

Buffalo Bore always uses stock over-the-counter- firearms that give real world velocities. Other ammunition companies normally use laboratory test barrels which give much higher velocities than stock firearms. We at Buffalo Bore see this long-established practice as misleading to the consumer.
This 30-30 loading (Item 28A/20) is safe to use in ANY/ALL 30-30 chambered firearms that are in normal operating condition—no exceptions, no need to "double check" with us.

Nice rifle and cool cartridge to have in it, back in the day when those were around I wished I'd bought one in .30-30 Win I "had one" in .22-250 Rem and it was very accurate. Those old Mod-788's were real sleeper rifles like the old Mod 721's & 722's we didn't know what we had until they were gone. I would imagine you could shoot 110gr plinkers up to 180gr and have some real fun. I know guys that have turned them into very nice target and varmint rifles with new barrels and Sako-type extractors, however, that one being a .30-30 Win I'd just leave it the way it is. Do you have the original iron sights that go to it? Cheers

I used 130 grn ttsx in my win mod 94 30/30 but I can't find the data I used, the powder was CFE 223 but I'm pretty sure that 2700 fps wasn't doable, around 2450 was pretty good.
Couple of things that you probably already know, if you full length resize you find that you push the neck back nearly 0.020" (well my gun did) it sure doesn't promote multiple loadings. I used to set the die so that it resized the neck up to as close as possible to the taper as I could see. Probably your bolt gun will cycle them good.
Here's a free load calculator https://www.p-max.uk/ read the instructions v. carefully and also the warnings.
I'd recommend checking the case volume on every lot and brand of cases you use. The text has a video on how to do it correctly - needs to be done for every bullet you use as well, btw.
FWIW, with my guns and powder volumes the estimated results come close to the published data but with tsx in 30/30 your on your own.
That's a very pretty rifle btw, always had a soft spot for remington had one of their rolling blocks in 22LR great squirrel rifle.

I can get 2700 from a 16" barrel with 110ttsx and tac-x. I can look up data later. It's a single shot, handy rifle that I cut down for kids and it works great. But im limited with moderate pressure. You should be able to push light billets faster.

And the bullets work. 140 yard shot, 50 yard recovery

Attachments

• 20191109_152626.jpg
    20191109_152626.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 43
I used to have an old Savage or Stephens, can't remember for sure, bolt action 30-30, and with IMR 3031 I believe loaded some fantastic deer loads with 150 grain spire point bullets, Hornady I'm sure as back in the day that's about all I shot. It was a deadly combo out to 200 yards, and I'm sure back then I probably never attempted anything beyond that. My buddy that taught me to deer hunt was a still hunter, and if deer were 200 yards, he wanted to sneak to 100 or less. Learned much about deer from him, but definitely started killing better deer when I sat my hind end down and waited on them lol. Very nice looking rifle, you should be able to come up with a great hunting combo with that cartridge. The above comment about using the 375 brass should be a safe bet to get at least 2700 fps with the bullet weights you mentioned. Your rifle should handle considerably more than any lever gun or single shot for that matter. You might try neck sizing your brass after fireforming it to your chamber. I know everyone says to not do it nowadays, but I have done it for years with absolutely no issues. When it starts getting tight chambering I simply full length resize and keep going. You can back off your full length die to where it is sizing the neck part way down, buy a neck sizing die, or even a Lee collet neck sizer, and that will get all the case capacity you can get as far as powder charge goes. You rifle will tell you when you're approaching pressure, I never had any issues with that old bolt gun I shot, and I hunted with it for years, and your rifle is a fine piece of steel, have fun.

I (and others) might be able to help with some Ql data. But info like your max COAL (which may be your magazine) or may be where your guns throat peters out) would be helpful.
Max COAL will be pretty much SAAMI, as there isn't much for extra space in the magazine. In fact, I'll have to shorten the necks to keep a spitzer bullet ogive above the case mouth. I'm out of town until Friday, but I can get you the info you need over the weekend.
Do you have any of those bullets? Got a Hornady COAL gauge?
I don't have a modifed case for the .30-30. I can measure the magazine, and I can do old school COAL with a neck sized case and a marker. It'll at least tell me how far I'm going to jump to the lands.
Really, the issue is your ability to reload, accurately resize so that the reloads shoulder off the shoulder and not the rim, and then finding out where your COAL is at.
I can probably handle that okay. I've owned this rifle several years, it's just been languishing in the safe since the original scope I put on it stopped holding zero. I got a killer deal on the Athlon LPVO and it seemed like it might work on a .30-30.
You *might* get close to 308 performance and you might have that rare sleeper gun in an oddball cartridge.
Not really trying for .308 performance, just interested in what's possible. I have several .308 rifles, but this seems like a fun rifle to take whitetail hunting in Nov. Most shots are inside of 200 yards so if spitzers don't work I can use regular FN bullets and be okay.
Finally, though the 30-30 case is indeed not a real heavy hitter (short base metal, IIRC) the 42k psi limit is based on lever actions. In the 788 bolt gun, you can certainly go higher. 64k creed psi? Maybe not! But over 42k, fur sur
I've been warned by more than a few not to hotrod, as the .30-30 788 is prone to extractor and ejector failures if pushed to hard. I have a spare of each, but parts are hard to come by. I just want to keep it a functioning rifle, so SAAMI spec is good enough.

I can get 2700 from a 16" barrel with 110ttsx and tac-x. I can look up data later. It's a single shot, handy rifle that I cut down for kids and it works great. But im limited with moderate pressure. You should be able to push light billets faster.

And the bullets work. 140 yard shot, 50 yard recovery
The little guy looks very happy, and I'm sure the big guy behind the camera more so. I shoot .300 BLK so I have some Tac-TX 120gr I can play with as well. I just have a lot of 125 NBT bullets that my daughter used to shoot in her .308 Win and .300 Savage rifle.

She's decided 165-168gr is where she likes to be now that she's older. It was a different story at age 11 vs. 21, she was a lot more recoil sensitive back then. I had those 125s moving at 3000+ fps and she was hell on deer and pronghorn with them. She's even taken a cow elk with them, but she decided to go heavier after that hunt. That cow didn't react like her deer, and she didn't like it.

Recent Posts