Don't recommend 53gr V-maxs

The 50gr Zmax poleaxed this fella yesterday.

75EB2C90-DE0D-4F53-BF72-35F312ACF848.jpeg

Does anyone know a place I/we can travel to where a couple old farts can shoot hundreds if not thousands of P Dogs. My brother in law and I traveled to S.E. Colorado last July. Only to find that for the most part they all had been poisoned out. Out of a three day shoot. we might have gotten 150 in 4 or 5 different areas.
We live in Arizona, but willing to travel as long as we have plenty of targets. Really don't want to pay a guide. But may consider if reasonable priced. I've only shot the one time and I'm hooked! Please reply back to my email [email protected] Thanks in advance

**** you guys are making me jealous on how fast your pushing them with your 22-250's. Im only getting about 3100 out of my 20" proof 223 barrel. Actuallly just ordered another 1k of the 53vmax because im down to my last box now.

Does anyone know a place I/we can travel to where a couple old farts can shoot hundreds if not thousands of P Dogs. My brother in law and I traveled to S.E. Colorado last July. Only to find that for the most part they all had been poisoned out. Out of a three day shoot. we might have gotten 150 in 4 or 5 different areas.
We live in Arizona, but willing to travel as long as we have plenty of targets. Really don't want to pay a guide. But may consider if reasonable priced. I've only shot the one time and I'm hooked! Please reply back to my email [email protected] Thanks in advance
Al. l heard the rules for poisoning pds were being tightened considerably recently. From a strictly ''SELFISH'' point of view l'd be glad if they outlawed poisoning. Prairie Dogs are the ONLY animal l shoot. Been that way for me since 1993. lf you can negotiate the REZ, the RoseBud Soiux has lots of them on the SD/Nebraska border. You will have to pay $$$. Good fun and great times are priceless!!!

Al. l heard the rules for poisoning pds were being tightened considerably recently. From a strictly ''SELFISH'' point of view l'd be glad if they outlawed poisoning. Prairie Dogs are the ONLY animal l shoot. Been that way for me since 1993. lf you can negotiate the REZ, the RoseBud Soiux has lots of them on the SD/Nebraska border. You will have to pay $$$. Good fun and great times are priceless!!!
I can't believe they're still poisoning PDs. Whatever happened to the "endangered species laws" where it was found that animals like the Bald Eagle were dying when found to have dead from poison consumed when they had eaten the carrion~?

It's been a few years since ive been out there but I can vouch for there being plenty of targets and it's beautiful country. It wasn't super pricey when we were going for guide and lodging. I wanna say $400 per person per day, meals included.

It's been a few years since ive been out there but I can vouch for there being plenty of targets and it's beautiful country. It wasn't super pricey when we were going for guide and lodging. I wanna say $400 per person per day, meals included.
Wat too much for my blood when we are doing them a favor!

The paid PD hunting thing is silly. They are still very much an issue when it's your land you're trying to get productive use out of. I don't want to see them go away, but they need to be controlled. We had FOUR large litters in 2022, they are quite prolific little creatures. Would be nice to find somebody in TX or OK that would trade a South Dakota prairie dog shoot for a southern hog hunt……. Something I'm not willing to pay money for.

The paid PD hunting thing is silly. They are still very much an issue when it's your land you're trying to get productive use out of. I don't want to see them go away, but they need to be controlled. We had FOUR large litters in 2022, they are quite prolific little creatures. Would be nice to find somebody in TX or OK that would trade a South Dakota prairie dog shoot for a southern hog hunt……. Something I'm not willing to pay money for.
Bar. l have 500 VMAX 53gr and 600 VARMEGEDDONS 53S l will be happy to donate ''one-at-a-time'' to help ease your pain. l've done South Dakota 3 times over the years. Twice on the Rosebud Res. Once near Mclntosh SD with Dave & Molly TemBroek on their ranch. Just pm me date/time. l will be there. l'm sure my 30 yr prairie dog buddy Larry from Canton Tx would make the trek/sacrifice too. We are clean neat shooters. Single shot bolt guns ONLY in 222 and 223rem. NO bottom feeders alowed on our shoots. We have our own benches too.
Regards

Last edited:
282, you have quite the loadout. I've been running 40 & 53 Vmax pretty much exclusively in my 223AI. What do you think if the 53gr Varmageddon compared to the V-Max? That's about the only thing in that range I haven't tried yet. No bottom feeders? You wouldn't like my rig 🤣 Love that. We're on the Pine Ridge reservation, about an hour west of Rosebud. It's a lot like Gary, Indiana but less industry and people.