Do you shoot 17 WSM ?

1k seems reasonable considering the price cz Americans go for currently....

Right now the only 17 hornet trading under 1k is the savage 25.

Each spring the powers that be do a run of each, hasn't really been a rhym or reason to the flavors they put out. This year it was 20 grain 17 hornet and the most prevalent 17 wsm was 15 grain lead free. Even so the 17 wsm was almost exactly the same price for 50 as it was for 25 hornet.

Going to be interesting to see what happens when Vista becomes foreign owned, board seems bent on selling foreign for less just to keep a domestic buyer out. With only one loader for 17 wsm it's more precarious. Doubtful that hornady isn't at least heavily reliant on Vista owned companies for some components as well. But that's a concern for another day...
Whamo slingshots with cat eye marbles will be the new NORM

My Savage bmag heavy barrel is a great shooter. Really surprising, considering it was less than 3 bills.

On a calm day it will average about 1/2" groups. It is a little picky about how you hold it.. really needs a better stock I think but as long as you're aware of it's quirks, it shoots good.

My Savage bmag heavy barrel is a great shooter. Really surprising, considering it was less than 3 bills.

On a calm day it will average about 1/2" groups. It is a little picky about how you hold it.. really needs a better stock I think but as long as you're aware of it's quirks, it shoots good.
Bed your black flimsy black stock like I did mine. I also added two 3/16" steel threaded rods to my forearm. Stock is rock solid now. I also centered the barrel in the end of the stock while I was at it and the barrel floats. It was a cheap and easy fix. I did this to save my light carry. My rifle has the pencil barrel, the first model of the BMAG .17 WSM.

Bed your black flimsy black stock like I did mine. I also added two 3/16" steel threaded rods to my forearm. Stock is rock solid now. I also centered the barrel in the end of the stock while I was at it and the barrel floats. It was a cheap and easy fix. I did this to save my light carry. My rifle has the pencil barrel, the first model of the BMAG .17 WSM.
Where did exactly did you add the threaded rods? I'm assuming lengthwise through the middle? If so, that's a great idea.

My a17 in .17 wsm came in today, just ordered some rings for it. My local academy has the 20 grn bullets for $20 a box so I grabbed 2. The gun store had 15 grn ones so I got one of those. Looking for the 25 grn bullets as this is gonna be my coyote gun.

I'm no reloading guy but would it be possible to take a .17 hmr round and pull the bullet and take a .17 wsm round and pull the bullet and re-seat the .17 hmr bullet into the .17 wsm round? They have a few different options such a hollow points and stuff in .17 hmr is why I ask

Where did exactly did you add the threaded rods? I'm assuming lengthwise through the middle? If so, that's a great idea.
Thanks, Mr. Magoo!
I went to Harbor Freight and bought a set of cheap but good very long drill bits.

I then drilled through the end of the forearm and through the sections of the barrel channel little squares with the 3/16" drill bit. I then filled the little squares in the barrel channel with Brownell's Acra Glas gel.

It has an hour working time. I drilled on both sides of the barrel channel. The barrel channel squares are more like on the side of the channel.

I then coated the rod threads with the 'glass and ran the rods through the drill holes in the forearm barrel channel.

As for the epoxy in the end of the forearm, I mixed some dry charcoal tooth polish powder with a bit of Acra Glas. I filled the end of the forearm holes with the black mixture to match the black stock.

Shortly before the 'glas set up, I wedged the stock using a homemade plastic wedge and centered the stock on the barrel. I used neutral colored shoe polish for a release agent. It HAS To Be the neutral polish! Other colors won't work because of the chemical makup.

Plumbers putty works great for a dam when bedding a stock.

Brownell's Acra Glas gel has worked great in my custom knife shop for many years. It also cleans up with water or alcohol before it sets up.

Never use a quick set epoxy for something you want to keep together.

The forearm and stock are now rock solid and the rifle is very accurate. Before, accuracy depended upon what part of the flimsy forearm was rested.

It's actually a pretty cheap bedding fix.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mr. Magoo!
I went to Harbor Freight and bought a set of cheap but good very long drill bits.

I then drilled through the end of the forearm and through the sections of the barrel channel little squares with the 3/16" drill bit. I then filled the little squares in the barrel channel with Brownell's Acra Glas gel.

It has an hour working time. I drilled on both sides of the barrel channel. The barrel channel squares are more like on the side of the channel.

I then coated the rod threads with the 'glass and ran the rods through the drill holes in the forearm barrel channel.

As for the epoxy in the end of the forearm, I mixed some dry charcoal tooth polish powder with a bit of Acra Glas. I filled the end of the forearm holes with the black mixture to match the black stock.

Shortly before the 'glas set up, I wedged the stock using a homemade plastic wedge and centered the stock on the barrel. I used clear colored shoe polish for a release agent. It HAS To Be the CLEAR polish!

Plumbers putty works great for a dam when bedding a stock.

Brownell's Acra Glas gel has worked great in my custom knife shop for many years. It also cleans up with water or alcohol before it sets up.

Never use a quick set epoxy for something you want to keep together.

The forearm and stock are now rock solid and the rifle is very accurate. Before, accuracy depended upon what part of the flimsy forearm was rested.

It's actually a pretty cheap bedding fix.
Wow thanks for the great writeup. I learned a few things. I'm definitely going to try that.

Why does the shoe polish have to be clear? I used black on a few and had an issue with one of them so i quit using shoe polish.

My a17 in .17 wsm came in today, just ordered some rings for it. My local academy has the 20 grn bullets for $20 a box so I grabbed 2. The gun store had 15 grn ones so I got one of those. Looking for the 25 grn bullets as this is gonna be my coyote gun.

I'm no reloading guy but would it be possible to take a .17 hmr round and pull the bullet and take a .17 wsm round and pull the bullet and re-seat the .17 hmr bullet into the .17 wsm round? They have a few different options such a hollow points and stuff in .17 hmr is why I ask
I would imagine someone has tried reloading 17 WSM. But I haven't read or heard of anyone doing it. Being a rimfire not many reload for the cost. Do you have a seating die for 17 cal ? And I would also be concerned with consistent neck tension trying this. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. Just get a 17 Hornet. Buy some dies. Get a reloading manual. And you will be better off IMO.

I would imagine someone has tried reloading 17 WSM. But I haven't read or heard of anyone doing it. Being a rimfire not many reload for the cost. Do you have a seating die for 17 cal ? And I would also be concerned with consistent neck tension trying this. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. Just get a 17 Hornet. Buy some dies. Get a reloading manual. And you will be better off IMO.
Public land is limited to rimfire for small game. I would of went .223 if I could of

Wow thanks for the great writeup. I learned a few things. I'm definitely going to try that.

Why does the shoe polish have to be clear? I used black on a few and had an issue with one of them so i quit using shoe polish.
Because the chemical makeup is different. I think the actual color to use is the neutral color. I went back to my original post and corrected it as for the shoe polish color. I did that work on the rifle years ago when Savage first came out with the BMAG .17 WSM with the pencil barrel and flimsy black plastic stock.
I also gained an inch of length of the stock by adding one of those black rubber recoil pads often used on shotguns. They just slip on the stock and hold and fit great. The factory stocks of Savage rimfire stocks are too short for many of us.

Last edited: