Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

• YES

Votes: 1,114 51.8%
  • NO

Votes: 1,037 48.2%

• Total voters
In the 1990s both Remington (700) and Winchester (Model 70) came out with flush to the stock detachable box magazines.

Jon Sundra and other outdoor experts panned them. The reason was said that if you lost the magazine you couldn't fire the rifle.

I have a Savage bolt action that I regularly singularly load without the magazine at the range. I could figure out how to load and fire without the magazine but they couldn't.

1990s Bolt action rifles equipped with detachable box magazines are still held in high regard by their owners and sell at a premium on the used market. Every one I have ever spoken to with a detachable magazine has never asked for a hinged floorplate.

In hunter safety, we teach young hunters to unload their weapons before crossing a fence or getting into a vehicle. I think gun writers forget that many of us hunt on land that is public and populated not private and where they are the only ones hunting.

Good info

Hello! ddgaabd interesting ddgaabd site! I'm really like it! Very, very ddgaabd good!

I think it helps with being able to unload easily when crossing fences, getting into highseats / treestands and into and out of cars etc.

ATB,

Scrummy

No, I do not. Had a friend who used a Remington 742 with detachable mag on an elk trip. Got excited and ejected the clip rather than taking off the safety.

IMHO, I think the blind box magazine is best of all, especially now that safeties can remain on while working the bolt. The stock is stronger and more streamlined. And, for those reloaders out there, running the different rounds through the chamber insures that they are chamberable!:)

No, I do not. Had a friend who used a Remington 742 with detachable mag on an elk trip. Got excited and ejected the clip rather than taking off the safety.

IMHO, I think the blind box magazine is best of all, especially now that safeties can remain on while working the bolt. The stock is stronger and more streamlined. And, for those reloaders out there, running the different rounds through the chamber insures that they are chamberable!:)

Really, its what each of us prefer, If you are not used to a rifle, or haven't gone to the range much, anyone could fumble for a safety or whatever, with any rifle. I use a 308 savage Model 10 bolt 4 rd in mag, but my DPMS is a magazine or clip like Dad used to call it and I do too.... (Dad was a BAR man in WW II , he called it a clip... not a mag) I say ' Shoot enough so you are familiar with your rifle. If anything i always worry about my magazine might fall off in the field, and I lose it.' I can use either rifle just as well.
I prefer my DPMS-LR 308 when i'm on the ground walking , hunting pigs. Sometimes you can run into more than 30 + in a group. That's when i prefer the large capacity magazine. Deer Hunting I prefer my Model 10 308 .....

Mixed feelings.... I like it in my tikka T-3 lite, but don't like the bigger clips protruding out bottom excessively out bottom like accuracy international on my 338 Lapua . Made it quite uncomfortable to sling on shoulder, so I usually pulled it while carrying it. The release was still jabbing ya in the back and now only had single shot. I'm not saying ya need 5 rounds in a gun like this but I prefer my .338 ultra bdl. With 3 in the floor.

I am currently building two rifles one for me and one for my GF and I like the idea of a box mag because I can carry extra rounds without the extra bulk and noise of loose rounds or boxes of rounds that don't fit any pouch or pocket. Plus I'm always worried I'll loose rounds out of the stock holder in heavy brush.

I like detachable mags. I don't need large cap mags, just mags that I can put in my pouch or pocket when I am slinging my rifle while I walk. I don't like that sucker digging into my back. Even through a hunting coat it is annoying.