Do You Hunt With A Muzzleloader?

Do You Hunt With A Muzzleloader?

• YES

Votes: 686 56.9%
  • NO

Votes: 520 43.1%

• Total voters
I just do not like the way those 2 twist every thing around to thier faver. All it does is mess it up to where you do not know what is what. I trust Edge and the rest of the guys on Doug for real info you can use and be safe that it is right. Those 2 I think have coverd up way to much. For one how can you blow up a gun with a book load but yet say you have fired other wild loads in the same gun. I shoot a heavyer load in my 10ML-ll 50cal. If you read a lot of thier stuff they change the facts from one place to another. I just do not want to get going all they did was give smokeless a bad name. Done.

Do you want the first ones without the accutrigger? The 10ML-l or do you want the 10ML-ll with the accutrigger? They both come up for sale on Doug's Message Boards - Home
They are still making the 10ML-ll you can check any gun shop or online gun sales. You can get them for around $650 or so new in the box. I have one and really like it I can see the bullet hit the target. No smoke cloud to look around to see if you hit anything. And I have not cleaned my barrel in 3 years no need to. I clean the breech plug and that is it.

I want the original with out the Accutrigger if possible. My friend has one and he uses "white hot" which doesn't stink and burns clean. It's a tackdriver. I want the older one because I like the style of that trigger, it seems better if you are wearing gloves. Doug's huh? Tell me which one you own, is it cold and snowy where you hunt?

I live in Iowa and we do get cold and snow here I have the 10ML-ll with the accutrigger. I use the glove with the finger tips. I shoot IMR4198 powder in mine with a 300gr Remington bullet in a Harvester Black crushed ribbed sabot. I light it off with a Winchester 209 shotgun primer. I have not cleaned my barrel in 3 years I only clean the breech plug. It shoots the same each time I use it so my scope hold zero. I have a leupold Ultimate Slam 3-9x40 on mine.

I'd really like to buy a savage ml. Which of the 2 is better and why anybody? Thanks

They are different in a lot of ways.

Savage 10ML was a Savage model 10 bolt action PRE-Accutrigger rifle.
It used a special module that looked similat to a 45 case that you inserted a 209 primer.
The module had a tendency to leak over time.
These are all over 10 years old now.
They should still be grandfathered and not need a FFL and can be made centerfire by changing the barrel which I think were all large shank.

Here is the Savage 10ML sketch:

cutaway-1.jpg

Since it was a bolt action rifle the BATF later ruled that it required a FFL but gave Savage time to comply or change the design.

The Savage ML-2 action does not have locking lugs and can't easily be converted to centerfire so no FFL required.

Depending how old it is is may be pre accutrigger or it may be Accutrigger.
Removing the bolt requires loosening the rear action screw.

Current models are only Blue, and I think all are small shank.

edge.

Awesome explanation and graphics, thank you very much. Can the module you described easily be replaced? The leaking you mentioned, what happens when it leaks, I'm assuming it leaks gases from the ignition?

Edge really knows what he is talking about when it comes the Savage 10ML and 10ML-ll. They are great guns I just shot a 10 point buck with my 50 cal 10ML-ll. I would not use anything else to shoot deer. I let my rifled barreled shotgun in the safe. I do a lot better with the Savage.gun)

Awesome explanation and graphics, thank you very much. Can the module you described easily be replaced? The leaking you mentioned, what happens when it leaks, I'm assuming it leaks gases from the ignition?

The original rifle came with three modules and I do not know if anyone makes replacements, but a machine shop could easily reproduce them.
Some folks made spacers inside of the bolt head to take up any gap.
Mainly when they leaked it was mainly just dirty kind of like shooting a revolver.

Most folks liked the newer model since they got rid of the modules which made re-priming easier.
They both have their own advantages.

edge.

Have you ever had issues with the accutrigger in cold, snowy or icey weather?

I like the accutrigger and some don't.
You need to practice with gloves because if you do not pull straight back you just get a click!
I like that you can have a hunting trigger set very low and it is still safe.

edge.

I have two, well more but hunt with two. first is a Savage ML-11 45 caliber McGowan barreled rifle and the other is a NEF sent to SMI w/ 45 caliber 1-20 twist Douglass barrel. Both shoot less than 1 MOA w/ N-120 or H-4198 and mostly shoot sabotless loads as the sabots just drive me nuts