Do you feel the recoil?

Being a little recoil sensitive I certainly feel the recoil while shooting from a bench but when shooting animals I basically feel nothing even when sitting or prone. At the bench I always wear earmuffs but when hunting I can't ever remember thinking to myself gee that was loud. One deer I shot I can't remember the noise at the shot but I do remember the echo from the surrounding hills.
Last year I had to put one shot at range into a big boar with the .375.

He disappeared for a few seconds and then made a bull charge straight at me requiring three quick follow ups.

I can remember everything from that incident except the recoil and that's a 8 lbls rifle scoped.

Those big boars will go right through you too, they are very nasty if they get you. A buddy of mine had his leg sliced open by a wounded boar. When that adrenaline hits it is amazing how recoil disappears.

Those big boars will go right through you too, they are very nasty if they get you. A buddy of mine had his leg sliced open by a wounded boar. When that adrenaline hits it is amazing how recoil disappears.
This guy was over 550 with 4" cutters I could see at 700 yards without glass.

I rather foolishly stalked up on him to about 350yds solely because I wanted to shoot him with the 375.

The first shot was perfect through both lungs right above the heart. I don't know of any other animal in N. American that can put on a charge like that after being hit that well.

Sadly my first follow up just grazed his cheek as he slightly shifted his angle at about 200 yards, the second went through the crease of his shoulder and out the opposite hip and the final at about 10 yards with him now off to the side a bit looking for me a bit far back but wrecked his liver, spleen and what was left of one lung.

He still made it another 50 yards before cratering.

Most exciting thing I've done since I left Africa and probably the dumbest.

morning, shooting recoil to me is a mind set. my mind tells me
there is going to b recoil. I try to shoot a lot with all of the calibers
I posses. my 340 accu-mark a person would think would b
uncomfortable to shoot. with the accu-brake full charge of
4831sc, 210gr. barnes very manageable.
223,243AI, 6mmAI, 257STW, 257Wbee,7mmWbee,340wbee,
22-250AI,6.5 Rem. mag and a few more. of all of the bangers
I shoot my baretta semi-auto slug shooting shotgun kicks
a large amount depending on the oz of the slug.
I have 2 semi autos 12ga. 3in. mag I have setup for hogs
and anything else. shoot 00 and #4 buckshot.
dove season here in TX. starts next month.
couple of boxes of 12ga. shooting doves???
lots of fun. do not drink, no women, love to bass fish,
72 years young. got to do something!
justme gbot tum

Only time it ever bothers me is shooting my Weatherby pa459 shotgun with turkey loads. That thing hurts! Even hurts my trigger finger.....but shooting a turkey with it is nothing

In my earlier years of hunting when recoil management was a decent recoil pad, I found that with practice and conditioning, I could quickly acclimate myself to recoil. This was very evident with a couple of African safaris back in the 80's using a 9 pound 375 H&H, and an 11 pound 500-450 H&H Double. Only hard, red rubber pads, no brakes. I was also about 40 pounds lighter. Back then, bench shooting the big cartridges was kept to a minimum, usually for just zeroing the rifle. In time, both felt not much different then my 30-06 Sporter, and I didn't give recoil a second thought. Now, with LRH, and Tactical sports being a major emphasis, I focus quite heavily on recoil management. The combination of high precision shooting at long range and the ability to spot hits are greatly benefited by diligently managing the rifle and load for minimum recoil. I now much prefer the least amount of recoil that I can get away with, without sacrificing the required performance.

Last edited:
My go to had always been a .243. Since I was 16 in 89, it had always done it's job. I foolishly switched to a .270 in 2000 and went between it and a 308 for about 15 years. I had listened to pals who said I needed a bigger cartridge rather than sticking with what I knew had worked for me. I've had a few magnums as well, but never ventured off the bench. Recoil is not a bragging point for me, it's an annoyance.
Now, I'm a pretty heavy devotee to the 6.5 Creedmoor. Mild recoil, plenty of energy and it kills everything it touches.
IMHO A lighter recoiling rifle allows your body to anticipate and more successfully deal with recoil while your brain is occupied with more important matters like placing the shot.
Hell, I'd use a laser gun if I had one. No recoil at all!
I don't think that Adrenalin helps mitigate anything as much as being in the moment does. It's a lot like distracting a kid before an injection.

That's just my 2 cents.

And no, no one remembers the recoil.

I hunt/shoot with and without a brake depending on the circumstances
and don't pay attention to the recoil before and during the shot on game but often after the shot I am guilty of saying "Dam" because thats when I feel it.

J E CUSTOM

I dont feel the shot when hunting I'm just to excited to see the critter drop , a monster or a doe !
I do remember well the day I took my 300 ultra to a long range shoot , after the 70 th round that day on my sendero with no brake I was tender !! I used Nosler 210 ablr ammo.
I shot my personal that day , the last round of the day rang steel at 1400 yards!
It felt amazing with a factory rifle and factory ammo ! They asked me not to bring the Rum back to the long range shoot , I took the 586 yrd.target down . Lol

Many a long year ago I worked for a sporting goods importer and manufacturer doing their repair work. Occasionally I would have to repair a double barrel 12 gauge with single selective trigger that fired both barrels at once. Once the repair was done I had to take it to the range and fire 20 rounds thought it. On one occasion I had fired 16 shots, loaded up 17 and 18 and both went off together. Those shotguns had hard plastic butt plates and I sure felt that recoil and a couple of days later I had a very nice butt plate shaped bruise.

Many a long year ago I worked for a sporting goods importer and manufacturer doing their repair work. Occasionally I would have to repair a double barrel 12 gauge with single selective trigger that fired both barrels at once. Once the repair was done I had to take it to the range and fire 20 rounds thought it. On one occasion I had fired 16 shots, loaded up 17 and 18 and both went off together. Those shotguns had hard plastic butt plates and I sure felt that recoil and a couple of days later I had a very nice butt plate shaped bruise.

Those old shotguns had a horrible drop at the comb. It made it hit you hard and come up into your jaw.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.