Dimpled brass

Yes the bullet is .002 back of the lands which does make a minimal amount of bullet in the neck. I am glad you responded because that thought had crossed my mind. Should I seat the bullet a little deeper or try increasing the powder?

I would seat deeper. You may not have much more room pressure-wise to add powder and would probably still have the same issue.

As long as you are not trying to fireform an ackley shoulder and are pushing the 270 shoulder back to the correct headspace dimension with the sizing die, I would seat the bullet into the neck so that the bearing surface of the bullet is just forward of the neck-shoulder junction(option 1).

At a minimum, I would seat the bullet with bearing surface halfway into the neck. (option 2)

It really depends on how the rifle shoots with the bullet seated deeper.

I prefer option 1, and usually have the freebore set for my bullet 0.020" off lands at this seating depth, if possible.
I could easily try option 1 since I have several cartridges loaded with my charge of 53.5 g. I would just have to screw the seating die down and give it a try. Thanks for the info.

It looks similarly to too much case lube on resizing stage. Since I assume you are noticing this prior to that stage, that isn't the issue. Looks very similar. Keep us posted!

I could easily try option 1 since I have several cartridges loaded with my charge of 53.5 g. I would just have to screw the seating die down and give it a try. Thanks for the info.

1728301459457.jpeg

Why are you running 53.5g of H4350 with a 123g bullet?
This seems very low to me, most of my 130g bullet loads are between 58g-61g a few powders.
How did you come up with this load?

I would increase powder and seat your bullets normally, forget chasing the lands, 270's are long throated.

Cheers.
It's a 6.5-06. I am using IMR 4350. I think I have more room to increase powder, but my velocity and accuracy is plenty good enough for what I hunt.

Quick questions is this a new barrel and are these your first loads coming out, do you all the cases look the same or just this one.? The reason I ask is if they are all the same I had a brand new barrel spun up by a custom Smith and there was a small piece of metal left in the chamber that cause similar deaths to the side of the cases as they were shot but all of them have a dimple not just one. Easy to check if you have a borescope just to make sure there's nothing funny going on inside your chamber .

Quick questions is this a new barrel and are these your first loads coming out, do you all the cases look the same or just this one.? The reason I ask is if they are all the same I had a brand new barrel spun up by a custom Smith and there was a small piece of metal left in the chamber that cause similar deaths to the side of the cases as they were shot but all of them have a dimple not just one. Easy to check if you have a borescope just to make sure there's nothing funny going on inside your chamber .
This is the second time these cases have been loaded. I have put about 120 rounds thru the rifle just developing a load I am comfortable with and adjusting to the rifle. The dimpling has happened about a half dozen times during this process.

If it was me I would check the chamber just to be sure there's nothing in there sometimes during the machining process bits of metal can become almost welded to the chamber just take a quick look flashlight eyeball if you have a borescope even better . And remember troubleshooting it no matter what you're doing is the systematic elimination of variables luck

Last edited:
I'm not sure I would go up. Nosler lists 48 grains max and 3088 fps with a 24" so maybe 3150 max with a 26". So yes it could be a high pressure load and you are close to the lands.

If it was me I would check the chamber just to be sure there's nothing in there sometimes during the machining process bits of metal can become almost welded to the chamber just take a quick look flashlight eyeball if you have a borescope even better . And remember troubleshooting it no matter what you're doing is the systematic elimination of variables luck
I would think if there is something in the chamber, as you suggest, the bolt would be resistant to closing. Everything works smoothly. I have cleaned the rifle several times since I have had it and didn't notice anything.

Recent Posts