Different State - POI Change....is this normal?

Was this on the trip or back home. Do you know what the temp was and attitude.

Not to get to far off track here but there are some bold claims posted here still left unchecked.
JDD, still looking for something that backs your claim of 1moa difference for every 20 degrees. You've said a lot but provided nothing. Every modern ballistics calculator I've checked and personal experience shows your claim to be false. I have yet to see that sort of huge poi shift from temperature alone... even with very sensitive powders.
What specific calculation are you using where you are 1moa off with all else being equal when shooting at 40 and 60 degrees?
I'm heading to the mountains today for some shooting and last time I was up there it was near 60. Today should be in the high 30s. I won't be 1moa off from last time...

image.jpg
697E4BCE-9FFB-4DDB-980F-649F2118AC70.jpeg
View attachment 133654 View attachment 133656 View attachment 133656 View attachment 133654 View attachment 133654 View attachment 133654

The photo taken on page 152 of the "The military and Police Sniper " Authored by Mike Lau.

Last edited:
Hello Fellas,
I am shooting a 7mm Rem Mag 175gr Accubond Lr at 2,850fps.

I sighted in at a 100yard indoor range at 80 degrees in NY at sea level.

I am now in Kansas at 2,100 ft above sea level, in a light drizzle, with 40 degree temp.

So here in Kansas, I fired a 5 shot group at 100 yards and found that my bullets were sub 1/2 MOA just like they were when I sighted in NY but the group was 1" low and 1/2" left.

Do you all think that the difference in weather and altitude caused the POI change?
My gun was in a hard Pelican case so I know that it didn't get banged off zero.

What do you all think?
The best way to know is plug the environmental conditions (including altitude) into the Ballistics AE app for both your zeroing shots in NY, and your new shots in KS.

Actually you are probably not far off being concerned coming from NY to KS. That is more of a planetary shift and the rotation of bullets are in reverse in NY.....

OK, couldn't resist as a former NY'er and glad to be a former NY'er.
In NY the bullets rotate left? and in KS, they rotate right? Does it depend on which part of NY state you are shooting in?

In reference to the above copied data. It was correct for standard bullet profile of the period. 168 gr 175 grain match kings etc. The higher the bc the less impact temperature and air density will have but it is still there. You also need to factor in completing factors. You sight in at sea level at 90 degrees temp drops to 70 you will see the change . I. Use to see as much 3 moa change between day break ,or sunset come up for 500 yard rams then what I would need at noon time . on one occasion I saw a 5 Moa change. Sight in at your home range at 1000 feet at 70 degrees then drive up to 5000 feet to hunt it 50 degrees up that so you would think a 1 moa change due to temp. You would be wrong . Air density is much less up there and cause a competitive condition off setting the drag caused just by temperature and has to be factored in .

If we met in person I would show you how that ain't true of all of us here my friend;)
I know it's not but it was a easy shot to take at the political left up there. How do you put up with it

I know it's not but it was a easy shot to take at the political left up there. How do you put up with it

Trust me brother it is terrible here! The liberals have total ownership of NY. That said, there are STILL allot of hunters and gun owners here. We buy more hunting licenses in NY than there are people living in Wyoming. Plus millions of gun owners and shooters.

Liberals destroy everything.

i do have a clue and yes carry my data but no way will a rifle that's accurate in one place change that much in another, unless something goes astray like a heavy handed clown
being playing this game for over 50 years and professionally
You missed the OPs posting about the rifle being in a secured Pelican case IN THE BACK OF HIS SUV. He drove from point A a to point B with the rifle in his POV.

Novalondon you and jdd will get along real fine with your ways to cure all shooting myths
And in a pelican can in the BACK of his UTE of course no bumps no knocks case or no case
Don't make it bulletproof....... hay!!!!
Sometimes some people are soooooo good !!!

I heard that rural New York is lovey and offers fine hunting and fishing. It's a shame the liberals in the city yield so much power. Trump was not my first choice but thank god we got him. He has got them scared. It could all collapse around them. The better he does the weirder they get!
Trust me brother it is terrible here! The liberals have total ownership of NY. That said, there are STILL allot of hunters and gun owners here. We buy more hunting licenses in NY than there are people living in Wyoming. Plus millions of gun owners and shooters.

Liberals destroy everything.[/QUOTE

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.