Compact stove advice

@biednick Jet boil has the stash system which isn't a ton bigger than my BRS 3000 worked out to be. Also, personally if I'm gonna actually cook I'll start a fire, main use for a stove to me is boil water for packed meals.

I know you're in Florida, but if your plans may include very low temps, you might consider looking for a stove that can operate with an inverted cannister for when it gets really cold. Several companies make them, including MSR. I have an Optimus Vega which works well in cold temps and high-altitude.

I have all three types. Each serves it's own purpose. But yes to all the above. You have to know the ins and outs of each system, particularly if your near or outside its normal operating limits.

I'm old-fashioned and like white gas or multi-fuel stoves, just because they work easier in cold weather. My favorites for motorcycle and truck camping are the Coleman 442 and 550B. The 442 runs on white gas and unleaded, the 550B runs on those plus diesel or JP8 or kerosene with the kero generator. I've run a 75/25 kero/white gas mixture that burns very hot. With these fuels it helps to preheat the generator with a lighter. There's a smell with kero, too. I've had a 5-day power outage from a snow storm here in WA and used these stoves to cook and provide heat (on the deck), and you will survive on a quart of fuel. My Florida hurricane kit includes a Coleman 442 and a gallon of white gas. I like white gas the best, but it's nice to know I can use spare diesel or gasoline as fuel. A small siphon tube is my fuel source on multi-day trips on the GSA.

These stoves are a little heavier but I've toted them around in a day pack from a hunting camp and been fine cooking up a can of stew or soup, or making some hot chocolate. For longer trips, by the time you throw a couple of butane or propane canisters in with your stove the Colemans really don't weigh more. I get that super lightweight burner tops that clip onto a canister are lighter and if I did long multi-day trips on foot I'd gravitate towards those. I have an MSR Whisperlite International multi-fuel stove that works with these fuels and propane or butane but the Colemans are my favorite. They're available on eBay.

Looking for recommendations on a stove like a jet boil set up. It does not have to be super lite. it will not be used solely for backpacking and hunting

Thanks

Buck
WOW a lot of response for the Stove.
I backpacked through the AP and many times in TN mountains. Then I did some mountaineering and climbed Ranier in February (worst time to climb it had over 6' of snow fall in two days) and then Denali in May. Have used several stoves. Have a really good stove in my climbing/backpacking gear. I'll pull it out and give you the model. If it is light enough to backpack everything I did and then work at 20K +feet altitude, you will enjoy it to cook up a fast meal...

How long do the canisters last on these light stoves?
I have a biolight and it works OK for boiling or cooking but since it uses wood it takes longer to boil/cook, it definitely isn't light compared to some of the ultra light fuel stoves but you don't need to carry any fuel either

Looking for recommendations on a stove like a jet boil set up. It does not have to be super lite. it will not be used solely for backpacking and hunting

Thanks

Buck
My wife has the Jet Boil and Crux Lite, and I have these ...
Optimus terra HE and MSR windstopper backpacking stoves..jpg

Between the two, I prefer the Optimus.

I know he's not everyone's favorite guy but he does use a lot of gear and there is some merit in this video. I gave the MSR Pocket Rocket and the titanium cup a try this fall and my only complaint is they don't lock together like the Jet Boils and the MSR Reactor. Otherwise, it's a great lightweight set up; I'm always in wet or snowy environments so I always have at least 2 lighters on me so that's never been an issue.

And you have to figure out what company is anti hunting!

I have a biolight and it works OK for boiling or cooking but since it uses wood it takes longer to boil/cook, it definitely isn't light compared to some of the ultra light fuel stoves but you don't need to carry any fuel either
I went on a 3 night back pack hunt with a buddy. We only used one stove and never used up a whole can of fuel, boiling water for 2 meals each a day.

With my BSR-3000 I generally figured a 110gr canister was good for 2 people for 4 days, but you can stretch it past that. I went on a 4 day trip with 3 people and someone forgot their fuel. We ran out on the last morning before the last person got their coffee. That was with hot meals every night, coffee every morning, and one or two hot breakfasts each. I haven't emptied a canister on one trip with my Windmaster yet. My longest trips have been 2 people for 3 days and 6 days solo.

A 110gr canister weighs about 7.5oz full, so a stove plus a week of fuel for 1 person comes in around 8.5-10oz depending on the stove. Bigger canister are more efficient weight wise, so for longer trips/more people carrying one 220 (13oz full) or 450gr (24oz full) canister will help reduce the total weight.