Choice of bullet for Moose hunt

In 2022, I was lucky enough to draw a Maine Zone 2 bull moose tag. Zone 2 is far north with Canada as the northern border.

Less than one hour into the first morning of the DIY hunt, we called a bull in. He came out of the thick facing us head on at about 75 yards.

The 200gr TSX out of my 8mm Rem Mag was chrono'd at 3,120FPS. The shot hit him square in the chest and knocked him to the ground. He got up, stumbled some, and collapsed for the final time 15ish yards later in a bunch of small pines. The bullet hit slightly high and missed the heart. We never did find the bullet but also didn't search terribly hard due to the work ahead of us.

It was my second experience with the 200gr TSX out of the Big 8 (the other was on a bull elk out of Wyoming). The two experiences combined made me a firm believer in Barnes to the point I've switched all hunting rifles over to TSX and TTSX.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be loading the LRX and spend the rest of the time planning where a bull shoulder mount will fit in your house!

Last edited:
I have been to Newfoundland twice for Moose hunting. Its a fantastic place you will enjoy it. Will you also be buying a black bear tag as well? It is only $500. I saw bear both times I was there. My first trip the Moose died just fine with a 180gr Accubond out of a 300WSM at about 175 yards. Last September I went with my son and a hunting buddy. We killed 3 Moose. Mine with a 200gr Terminal Ascent out of a 300WM at 550 yards (see avatar pic), my son and buddy used a 175gr Terminal Ascent out of a 30-06. Any good bonded or solid 308 caliber bullet will do the job on a New Foundland moose. Based on my experience and talking with the guides shots 250 yards and in are the norm.

In the event you are adding a bear tag of your two bullet choices I personally would go with the Barnes. I was just in Alaska and used a solid copper hunting for the first time. Although I used the 200gr Cutting Edge Lazer out of a 300PRC. The Lazer was very, very effective on a Grizzly.

Nosler Partition and Swift A Frame are very strong, high weight retention, bone crushing, deep penetrating, controlled expansion, monster slayers that will be all you need inside 500 yds. I've never hunted New Foundland but all moose I've encountered from Maine to Montana were well under 300 yds and frequently in or near pretty heavy cover.
I have used Berger 215 gr bullets from the first year they came out with them and have taken a moose every fall with them all one round hit's high shoulder none when more then 20 ft. shots were from 400-850 yards so I would go with the berger.they are the only bullet I shoot in all my rifles

I am also a firm believer in the Barnes bullets. I never got on the Nosler band wagon because I could not get them to shoot accurately. Over the years we have only recovered one or two Barnes bullets and those looked exactly like the pictures in all the Barnes advertisements. It doesn't seem to matter what angle we killed our animals, the Barnes will almost always be a two hole shot.
In almost any situation, I would be a lot more confident with the Barnes bullet.

In 2022, I was lucky enough to draw a Maine Zone 2 bull moose tag. Zone 2 is far north with Canada as the northern border.

Less than one hour into the first morning of the DIY hunt, we called a bull in. He came out of the thick facing us head on at about 75 yards.

The 200gr TSX out of my 8mm Rem Mag was chrono'd at 3,120FPS. The shot hit him square in the chest and knocked him to the ground. He got up, stumbled some, and collapsed for the final time 15ish yards later in a bunch of small pines. The bullet hit slightly high and missed the heart. We never did find the bullet but also didn't search terribly hard due to the work ahead of us.

It was my second experience with the 200gr TSX out of the Big 8 (the other was on a bull elk out of Wyoming). The two experiences combined made me a firm believer in Barnes to the point I've switched all hunting rifles over to TSX and TTSX.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be loading the LRX and spend the rest of the time planning where a bull shoulder mount will fit in your house!
Great story.
And thank you.
Seems like most of you favor the Barnes. I'll finish my work up of that round and go get a big one!
T

Good luck and let us know how you do. Here is a pic of my 2019 NF Moose

Attachments

• DSC01188.JPG
    DSC01188.JPG
    354.4 KB · Views: 47
Since there's no thread for a Moose hunt (unless I missed it), I posted this in the Elk hunt section.

Next month, I'll be headed to Newfoundland for a moose hunt. I have chosen two bullets to work with. The first is the Barnes 190 grain LRX BT. The second is the Berger 245 grain Elite Hunter. The caliber rifle is a 300 PRC.
The rifle seems to like the Berger better as it is a bit more accurate.
What I find surprising is that the Barnes has over 200 ft-lbs more energy than the Berger.
I know the Barnes will break through bone as it is a monometal bullet.
Most likely all shots within 500 yards, so I am not concerned about the tighter spread of the Berger.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
T
Depleted Uranium with exploding tip. The new Kevlar moose are wearing, is really tough to penetrate.

All kidding aside, take the Barnes.

I'd take the Barnes.

Or, if opening to other options besides those two, the federal 180 trophy bonded tip or 200 terminal ascent. Or, if they still make them, the 200 trophy bonded bear claw. I think those are discontinued now; I do have a box of federal factory ammo 300 win mag 200 grain TBBC sitting around for a rainy day 😁

A frames are great. Hammers and other monos, ah you know what forget it, there's too many great choices nowadays!!!!

Sort of like the time my wife and I went to this fancy restaurant in the city that had as its claim to fame over 400 different beer selections (each table had a "beer bible" menu)….i ended up so overwhelmed by how many options there were I didn't drink any beer at all, and had coffee instead!!! 🤣

Leaving few things to chance, I shot my Newfoundland bulls with a 338RUM and 250 Accubond. Performance was excellent. My farthest kill was at 315yds but I have seen moose father across the bogs.
Most of the other shooters in the camps were using 308/30-06 class rifles and used typical deer bullets. They killed moose too.

Recent Posts