Brainstorming Ideas on Long Range Elk Pistol

I've owned a .226 JDJ, .257 JDJ and a .338 JDJ and have taken game out to 300+ yards with all of them. Mostly prarie dogs (226) and antelope. I have been very satisfied with the performance. All were 14" SSK barrels. I think the rimmed case (parent) makes a big difference in the TC actions.

Here is the first creedmoor I built.

Attachments

• 0A58348F-178D-4E57-91E3-B1D484D5BE74.jpeg
    0A58348F-178D-4E57-91E3-B1D484D5BE74.jpeg
    885.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 00830CD5-B9E5-4579-B74C-6C968993EB20.jpeg
    00830CD5-B9E5-4579-B74C-6C968993EB20.jpeg
    795.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 152B6E72-0E2D-4C6F-96B7-A6C116A140D6.jpeg
    152B6E72-0E2D-4C6F-96B7-A6C116A140D6.jpeg
    779.4 KB · Views: 166
There are several options that will work.

Jon Beanland built me a custom XP-100 in 7mm RSAUM. 17.5" bbl. 1/4 MOA to 1/2 MOA accuracy depending on load. 162-168 gr bullets at 2774 FPS to 2850 FPS, depending on load. It's plenty for elk.

I also have a T/C Encore 30-338WM that will work for elk as well. 16.5" bbl. I supplied a cut rifled blank to MGM and they built the barrel for me. 1/2 to 1 MOA accuracy, and 175-180 gr bullets at 2700-2846 fps depending on load.

SSK makes good barrels for the Encore as well.

The Specialty Handgun Hunting section of this forum also is a good place to post any questions, as is the Specialty Pistols forums.

McMillan is the only synthetic stock option now. Ernie Bishop has a group buy going for a McMillan stock. He's on the site.

Several gunsmiths that can build a good XP-100 custom. If you're left handed, right bolt works perfect.

Attachments

• XP-100 7SAUM first deer.jpg
    XP-100 7SAUM first deer.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Picture 003.JPG
    Picture 003.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
I think you are fine. People kill thin skinned game in Africa with 44 Mag all the time. I dare say that a 7-08 has a lot more power than a 44 mag. Shot Placement/Shot Placement/Shot Placement!!! Cheers and Happy Hunting!

When I am hunting with a single-shot shotgun or fishing in Bear Country mostly little Black Bears I always have my 44 Mag Super RedHawk on my chest or hip. Thank God I have not had to use it but it makes for a great mercy shot to finish the animal off if it is not quite dead and it a great back up to a signle shot shotgun. Fishing in streams is always risky because beer want those fish too! LOL

http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=50789

I'm very interested in the xp100 idea. I like the encore a lot but I may want to try one of those xp's. Could a person simply buy a new custom action say a defiance or stiller or whatever as long as it was a new action that had not been previously a rifle and just have it built by a smith into a xp100 type pistol stock and barreled with whatever custom barrel one liked?
If you have more questions on a custom XP, give me a holler. 307-257-7431 or [email protected]

I think you are fine. People kill thin skinned game in Africa with 44 Mag all the time. I dare say that a 7-08 has a lot more power than a 44 mag. Shot Placement/Shot Placement/Shot Placement!!! Cheers and Happy Hunting!

http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=50789

Conventional handgun calibers kill like a muzzle loader and rely heavily on penetration and permanent wound cavity. Handguns chambered for small bore rifle rounds still need the velocity to cause the bullets to expand and cause damage. I can also assure you that no handgun hunter is hunting elk at 400+ yards with a 44 mag, which is the range that the OP is looking at.

When shooting short barreled guns you need to either settle for reduced performance or move up to a larger case to make up for the velocity lost in a short barrel. Expect comparable loads to be 150-200fps slower when fired out of a handgun length barrel compared to the same load from a rifle. If you want 300 Win Mag performance from a 15" barrel then you need to move up to a 300 Weatherby or RUM sized case. If you want 7-08 rifle ballistics in a 14-15" barrel then you'll need to move up to a 7 Mag or possibly a 280 AI.

To get 6.5x47 Laupua performance I had to go to a 260 AI; matching a 7-08 rifle from an 18" needed a 284 Win case; getting a 168gr 30 caliber bullet to 3150 fps (300 Win Mag performance) from a 16" barrel, required a 300 RUM; To match a 338 Win Mag from an 18" barrel I had to go with a 338/375 Ruger (or 330 Dakota/340 Weatherby size case); to get 338 Lapua performance (300gr OTM at 2850 fps+) from a 20" barrel required a 338/408 Improved. The list of different chamberings I've used in specialty pistols goes on and on. The one constant is the need to move up in case capacity to offset the reduction in barrel length.

Before building a custom bolt pistol you should take a look at the Nosler 48 NCH pistol. While I don't personally think any of the available chamber options are viable 400+ yard elk cartridges, the gun itself is an excellent option. If you build a custom bolt pistol you'll likely be into the build $2000+ if you start with a custom action so the $2500 price tag on the NCH really isn't that unreasonable. It's a really well thought out design that was obviously built with input from experienced SP shooters. I'd probably call Nosler and see if they could chamber one for something like the 28 Nosler if elk at 400+ yards was my goal. For deer out to 500 yards or targets out to 1200+ yards most of the factory offerings would work well.

There are other options If you are not sure what you want.

Here are a few bolt action pistols that you could look at New or used
to get the action and stock for a re barrel later. I would also consider the TC Encore.

Savage Striker, Remington XP 100, Weatherby MK 5, And Wichita that
has a left port and bolt. These pistols can be found on gun broker and other sites in Many calibers. Prices range from $400.00 UP.

It mite be a good way to get you started and If you choose the right one it could be as simple as a re barrel in the future.

J E CUSTOM

I recently purchased an Encore pistol in 7-08 and I've really been bitten by the long range or any range for that matter handgun hunting bug. I killed my first deer with a handgun this year, a small doe with a King Cobra 357, and it was as exciting to me as killing a big buck with a rifle.
So I've gotten in a few rounds behind this encore and I am amazed at the level of accuracy that can be achieved with these things. It's a 15" with a brake and its extremely pleasant to shoot, which I'm sure helps with it's accuracy. The 7-08 is plenty for whitetail, but may fall a little short for elk at longer distance with its reduced velocity out of the shorter barrel I'm running nosler 120 BT at about 2500fps, and they are shooting some sub moa groups at 100yds and I'm holding them around 1 moa or just slightly over at 400yds. I did try some 162 amax today and they shot very well too but muzzle velocity was around 2300 I believe.
So if you were going to seriously consider planning an elk hunt with a handgun what would you look at caliber wise and would you stick with the encore platform or go to a custom bolt type rig. I'm thinking of staying in the 7mm family due to the extra BC but maybe something like a 7mm wsm or maybe step up to the 30 cal. I'd like to be able to maintain good killing energy out to 500-600yds from a 15 in barrel, so roughly 800ftlb or so at that distance. I know they make encore barrels all the way up to 375 HH but I'm looking to try to get the flattest trajectory and still carry energy but also not build something that is unshootable due to extreme recoil. I have a 400yd range about 10 min from my house so I have basically unlimited access to practice with it. Anyway, throw me some Ideas, and if you have any pistol smith reccommendations send them my way as well, just kind of brainstorming here
I know its been a while since you put this out there but I'm wondering what you ended up with. I'm in the same process now. I live and hunt elk in Colorado and would like to switch to a pistol when we are humping the mountains looking for them. I have an encore in 7mm-08 and have taken antelope and Texas hogs with it. I've even taken it to Africa for plains game and done will with it. The biggest game I've taken with it is a few blesbok but they are not as big as elk. I'm currently in search of a Savage Striker 300 WSM or 7mm WSM. I to have a 400 yard range out back and put in a lot of practice. Just interested in what you ended up with for an elk pistol.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.