Brainstorming Ideas on Long Range Elk Pistol

I was wondering on the barrel length. If you make the barrel 16" if you convert it to a rifle do they meet the over all length necesary to be legal .

I was wondering on the barrel length. If you make the barrel 16" if you convert it to a rifle do they meet the over all length necesary to be legal .
Yes, but please confirm this with your local FFL, same reg that covers the AR barrel lengths. I would go 16.2" though and be sure your brake is pinned and welded to be considered part of the "barrel". Don't get it threaded and spin on a brake, if you do this then be sure that the actual barrel is 16" because the brake will not be considered as "battle". And with TCs, you have to have purchased the pistol frame for a legal pistol configuration, and you cannot legally convert a purchased RIFLE frame to pistol configuration (May be able to get an SBR stamp?)
If you have a rifle frame and you are below 16", You might be able to get by this with an SBR stamp.
My LGS explained the rifle vs pistol frame issue to me back when I bought my first. There is no difference in construction just a different digit in the SN that allows LE to see the difference.

I've built a couple custom xp-100 pistols and they are addictive. I have one in 6.5 creedmoor and one in 6.5 saum sitting I'm my safe right now. The creedmoor is only 150 FPS slower than a 24" rifle length 6.5 creedmoor. Same goes for the saum about 150 FPS difference for the short barrel. I like the center grip on the xp-100 it seems to balance better than the rear grip version and gets your eyes a little closer to the scope for using a rifle scope.

Yes, but please confirm this with your local FFL, same reg that covers the AR barrel lengths. I would go 16.2" though and be sure your brake is pinned and welded to be considered part of the "barrel". Don't get it threaded and spin on a brake, if you do this then be sure that the actual barrel is 16" because the brake will not be considered as "barrel". And with TCs, you have to have purchased the pistol frame for a legal pistol configuration, and you cannot legally convert a purchased RIFLE frame to pistol configuration (May be able to get an SBR stamp?)
If you have a rifle frame and you are below 16", You might be able to get by this with the SBR stamp.
My LGS explained the rifle vs pistol frame issue to me back when I bought my first. There is no difference in construction just a different digit in the SN that allows LE to see the difference.
I was able to greatly improve the accuracy of my TC with help from Mike Bellm at https://www.bellmtcs.com/. He is totally dedicated to TCs and their accuracy. Sells all parts and tools (and online instructions) for the TC DIY shooter. the Main issue for me was the trigger improvement and barrel lockup. If you have a hard recoiling caliber he has a 6 screw scope mount and install that he does which is incredibly stable. sells shims to address headspace issues as well.
For really nice aftermarket stocks I go to Dr. Tony Gettel at http://www.tonysforendsandgrips.net/. very reasonably priced.
Barrels? try MGM (they also work with Mike Bellm if need be) or SSK for JDJ specific calibers. I have purchased from EABCO and they have great specials as well, my 375 JDJ barrel is from them and they pinned and welded a JP Industries muzzle brake to tame it. shoots like a 223 without a brake. Too much fun!! LOL.

I've built a couple custom xp-100 pistols and they are addictive. I have one in 6.5 creedmoor and one in 6.5 saum sitting I'm my safe right now. The creedmoor is only 150 FPS slower than a 24" rifle length 6.5 creedmoor. Same goes for the saum about 150 FPS difference for the short barrel. I like the center grip on the xp-100 it seems to balance better than the rear grip version and gets your eyes a little closer to the scope for using a rifle scope.
Timnterra, so would this be a good deal? Rem XP 100 7mmBR @$600.00?

I'm very interested in the xp100 idea. I like the encore a lot but I may want to try one of those xp's. Could a person simply buy a new custom action say a defiance or stiller or whatever as long as it was a new action that had not been previously a rifle and just have it built by a smith into a xp100 type pistol stock and barreled with whatever custom barrel one liked?

If you make the barrel 16.5 or something over 16 inches it can be shot as a pistol or rifle, But it must have a known pistol action or it won't be legal as a pistol. They measure the barrel length with a rod placed down the barrel and against the bolt face. So it would be wise to make the barrel slightly over 16" to be sure.

If you use a known pistol action and have a barrel length of 16''+ it can be used ether way. But it is illegal to use a rifle action with less than a 16'' barrel.

J E CUSTOM

Timnterra, so would this be a good deal? Rem XP 100 7mmBR @$600.00?

The last one I bought for $950 but it had a HS Precision stock brass and dies with it. The one before I paid $550 but it had a custom barrel. I don't think the 7br barrel is worth anything not is the plastic stock, so you are just buying the action and trigger for $600. Unless it has an aftermarket stock.

I'm very interested in the xp100 idea. I like the encore a lot but I may want to try one of those xp's. Could a person simply buy a new custom action say a defiance or stiller or whatever as long as it was a new action that had not been previously a rifle and just have it built by a smith into a xp100 type pistol stock and barreled with whatever custom barrel one liked?
Yes an undesignated action can be built into a rifle or a pistol.

Looks like there is an xp100 in 260 on gunbroker for $950. I'm probably leaning towards building one from scratch if I can find a stock. I think a short mag of some flavor. Maybe a 7wsm with a good brake on it would be the ticket

HS Precision just this fall discontinued the xp-100 stock and their version of the pistol never to resume production. There are a few companies that make wooden stocks but only McMillan makes a fiberglass stock.

If you're going to build on a custom action and you are right-handed I would strongly recommend buying a left-handed action. When holding a pistol grip in your right hand it's very hard to run a right-handed bolt with your left hand FYI.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.