Bolt face diameter's

Re: Bolt face diameter's 300WSM

I have a lawton single shot 300WSM, I think it's the 7000series action. Could this be converted to a 300 norma or a 338 norma? I have to look at it but I think it's the short action.

Re: Bolt face diameter's 300WSM

I have a lawton single shot 300WSM, I think it's the 7000series action. Could this be converted to a 300 norma or a 338 norma? I have to look at it but I think it's the short action.

If it is the same length as the short action Remington, yes.

The bolt face will work but you may not be able to eject a loaded round without removing the bolt.(I had a 30/338 on a short action 40X and it could eject the empty's but not the loaded rounds.

The 30/338 Win is the same basic size as the Norma's .

J E CUSTOM

Yes, great thread.

I have a Rem SFSS II in 223 Rem that I would like to convert to 220 Swift. Anyone done this or know exactly what it is going to take to do it?

Open up bolt face?

New bolt?

Would magazine length be an issue?

Can it ever be done with this action?

I am thinking a new Krieger or Shilen barrel with a 1:8 twist for shooting 75 grain bullets. Who has done this and what were your results?

Thanks,
Wooly

There is a discussion going on in the rifles, bullets, barrels section about the FN 5.7x28.

Wikipedia lists it as having a 0.307 diameter rim and 50k psi.

Where would be a good place to figure out appropriate bolt / action / repeater info?

I happened to see this and though it needed a response.

The .307 case head is a special case head size and does not fall over any bolt face diameter that I could find that would allow you to open the bolt face up to fit it.

The smallest bolt face I could find was the 6.5x45 @ .332 (Still to large).

The most abundant actions are the .384 case head cartridges (17 Rem, 204 Ruger, 222 Rem and the 223/556 cartridges.

Some rim fires are small enough but they are not strong enough. So If you wanted to build a rifle of this caliber you would almost have to use a single shot with a flat face and built in extractor.

There may be another way but I don't know any other rifles that would be suitable.

Interesting

J E CUSTOM

I am interested in doing a rem 700 left hand in 300wsm.. Missed out on a smoking deal on here. Can any of you guidde me in the rite direction of where i can find one? I will not be reloading so a LA wont be needed, unless it is impossible to find a SA with magnum bolt face..

I happened to see this and though it needed a response.

The .307 case head is a special case head size and does not fall over any bolt face diameter that I could find that would allow you to open the bolt face up to fit it.

The smallest bolt face I could find was the 6.5x45 @ .332 (Still to large).

The most abundant actions are the .384 case head cartridges (17 Rem, 204 Ruger, 222 Rem and the 223/556 cartridges.

Some rim fires are small enough but they are not strong enough. So If you wanted to build a rifle of this caliber you would almost have to use a single shot with a flat face and built in extractor.

There may be another way but I don't know any other rifles that would be suitable.

Interesting

J E CUSTOM
Is it possible to "sleeve"/fill a larger bore bolt head then turn it and inset the extractor?

Lapping the recoil lugs increases the contact to 100% between the bolt and the recever.
this helps prevent the bolt from moving when fired and distributes the loading of the bolt
and recever equally improving accuracy.

It also smoothes the surface so the bolt will ingauge and dis-ingauge easer.

If the head space "Is" tight then lapping will loosen it .

Jeweling the bolt helps hold oil/lubricants on moving parts and also makes it look better.

J E CUSTOM

Just how much "slack" can a person lap into that bolt face / lug area. My smith sets headspace at .001 (I say its even tighter) and I prefer it to be slightly looser. Can I achieve that by lapping?