Bolt face diameter's

So for a 300 Norma I need a Lapua boot face???? Am I reading this correctly??

Yes and no. Bolt faces vary between cartridges (300 NM is .585, 338 Lapua is .587 and the 416 Rigby is .590 so if you want the best fit and ejection, you should use the case head size of the cartridge to be used to open the bolt face up. Depending on the action, I recommend a minimum of case head diameter + .005 and a maximum of case head diameter + .010. you want just enough clearance to allow the ejector to push the case out and not bind. Two much clearance and you may have extractor overrides.

Most Rigby's have a bolt face diameter of .602 to .604 and if used for a Norma would give you almost .015 thousandths case head clearance. The Lapua and the Norma are only .002 thousandths different and could be interchangeable but if you are cutting a new
300 Norma bolt face use the Norma dimension as a base line + .005 to .010 thousandths for best fit and function.

Just My opinion

J E CUSTOM

Yes and no. Bolt faces vary between cartridges (300 NM is .585, 338 Lapua is .587 and the 416 Rigby is .590 so if you want the best fit and ejection, you should use the case head size of the cartridge to be used to open the bolt face up. Depending on the action, I recommend a minimum of case head diameter + .005 and a maximum of case head diameter + .010. you want just enough clearance to allow the ejector to push the case out and not bind. Two much clearance and you may have extractor overrides.

Most Rigby's have a bolt face diameter of .602 to .604 and if used for a Norma would give you almost .015 thousandths case head clearance. The Lapua and the Norma are only .002 thousandths different and could be interchangeable but if you are cutting a new
300 Norma bolt face use the Norma dimension as a base line + .005 to .010 thousandths for best fit and function.

Just My opinion

J E CUSTOM

Thats good information. Thanks for clearing that up.

On Edit: My Hornady Rigby brass has a base size of .5855

Last edited:
I have a remington 700P in 300 win mag. What would it take to make it a 300 RUM

All you need to do is rebarrel the rifle. The case head diameter (and resulting bolt face size requirement) are the same. So you would not need to make any changes to your bolt.

I have a Rem 700 in 30-06. Can I convert to 7mm Mag if I get a new bolt (since it needs a wider bolt face) and have an aftermarket 7mm Mag barrel installed?

I have a Rem 700 in 30-06. Can I convert to 7mm Mag if I get a new bolt (since it needs a wider bolt face) and have an aftermarket 7mm Mag barrel installed?

Yes.

You can either replace the bolt or have a gunsmith open it up to accommodate the magnum cartridge.

Before you do all that, look into buying a donor action that already has a magnum bolt face.

I'm trying to figure out what it would take to build a 357 maximum on a 700 action. From what I gathered here, I'd need a .223 size action with the bolt opened to .440? Do I need to do anything with the extractor?

I didn't read all of the thread, so forgive me if this was answered already.