Bolt face diameter's

I am getting ready to build a somewhat budget 300 RUM on 700 action. I am going to purchase a new remington action but they list 2 long actions for magnums. One being REM85319 with no bolt face dims listed but it is called "300win, ultra mag" witch is confusing me. The other being REM27557 with a bolt dim of .532. Which one is right for 300RUM?

Opening up bolt faces and extractors for magnums is easy enough.

Getting the bolt faces extractors smaller for 223 is harder.
In the mosin, I left the bolt face big, milled out the extractor groove, left it single shot. The extraction never reached the ejector, but dropped out the bottom of the magazine well.

My brother can make the Mauser smaller for the 223, with his great TIG welding. But my TIG welding sucks, so no more 223 Mauser conversions for me.

I have an extra Tikka T3 6.5 Swede. I'm thinking I would like to have it re-chambered to 6.5-06. Would that be economically feasible? Would it be as easy as having a gunsmith run a new reamer through? Should there be any problems with the bolt face? Anything else I might not have thought of?
thanks,
Gary

The reason I originally posted bolt face diameters was to help choose the cartridge that would fit the existing bolt face diameter to avoid altering the bolt if possible. Opening up a bolt face and replacing the extractor is common and very doable for a quality gunsmith. but reducing a bolt face diameter causes many problems and could possible damage the bolt beyond repair. I don't recommend applying heat (Welding or soldering) to any bolt face because it can alter the heat treat in the most important part of the bolt and recoil lugs.

In my opinion, it is best to replace the bolt with a new one or a good used one with the correct bolt face diameter. new bolts are normally about the same price as alteration to the old bolt and far less risky.

Even after the proper bolt is used there may still be major alterations That need to be done to the feed rails and/or the magazine box for proper feeding, so in my opinion it is best to stay with a cartridge that is similar to the original cartridge if possible. Most of the time, the simple solutions are the best.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the response. However, I do not plan on using the rifle for hunting of any kind. The rifle will have a bench rest follower installed so, feeding, I feel will not be a problem. I think?

No problem.
The feeding issue is just a nuisance sometimes depending on the use, Altering the heat treat in the bolt is a safety issue and the reason I would not recommend welding or brazing on the bolt face.

I have installed a bench rest followers to assist In single loading of cartridges to long for a magazine and they worked well on push feed actions with everything else still correct on the bolt.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Hey guys I stumbled on this thread via a google search for bolt face diameter. I am a long time creeper joined maybe a month ago. heres the question.
it looks like a 22-250 action/bolt face is the same diameter as a 6.5-284?
so is it realistic to say I could take my remingtom 700 ADL chambered in the 22-250 and re-chamber this to a 6.5-284? I had nate at SSG take my Remington 700 ADL in 7MM mag and drop a new barrel, stock, true everything etc and it is a helluva shooter so looking towards my next project.
I joined about a month ago looking for a rifle preferably a 6.5 to get into the 155 bergers I'm just tossing around all my options ( buy used, build 100% custom new, or save some bucks and re-chamber this 22-250) and was wondering if that conversion is possible.
I'm not a huge fan as its a short action so I would likely need to extend the magazine to hold them but like I said just tossing spit balling my options here.

Thanks fellas enjoy creeping around this thread.

The reason I originally posted bolt face diameters was to help choose the cartridge that would fit the existing bolt face diameter to avoid altering the bolt if possible. Opening up a bolt face and replacing the extractor is common and very doable for a quality gunsmith. but reducing a bolt face diameter causes many problems and could possible damage the bolt beyond repair. I don't recommend applying heat (Welding or soldering) to any bolt face because it can alter the heat treat in the most important part of the bolt and recoil lugs.

In my opinion, it is best to replace the bolt with a new one or a good used one with the correct bolt face diameter. new bolts are normally about the same price as alteration to the old bolt and far less risky.

Even after the proper bolt is used there may still be major alterations That need to be done to the feed rails and/or the magazine box for proper feeding, so in my opinion it is best to stay with a cartridge that is similar to the original cartridge if possible. Most of the time, the simple solutions are the best.

J E CUSTOM

Any time I think about changing caliber, I check this thread. It's been a big help. To bad a guy can't edit his original post to update as other calibers become available.