Best short action cartridge for long range

A .300 wsm in a long action... i believe thats called a .300 win mag :D
If you build a 300 WM on a Howa/Vanguard long action you will be cramped to seat longer high BC bullets if you wanted to use the mag box and have a repeater . You couldn't seat 180 CE bullets properly and the Berger 215 and 230 bullets would have to be seated right up to the ogive which would encroach greatly on case space. The H/V action is ideal for the 300 WSM cartridge and long high BC bullets.

You already got a lot of imput, but I'll give you my .02.

In a short action:
* 7mm-08, will do all you want to do. Has hunting bullets close to 120 for the deer you have. Also gives you options if game gets toucher. Hogs with a 150+ bullet. Elk as well.
* 6.5 of some sort, great round. I prefer the 6.5 Creedmoor(own one), but the 260 Rem is the other common one. With Norma coming out with brass and ammo for the Creedmoor, I give it the nod. Good choices of 120-130gr hunting bullets.
* 243, is always a viable option, will not get you up to 120gr bullets. But kills many deer every year.

There are others, but have to stop somewhere. 257 Roberts +P or 308 could make honorable mention. I've hunted for a decade with the 257. Bought a 7mm and have never hunted with the "Bob" again.

If your willing to go to the effort to change bolt face. The 270 WSM is a great hunting round(son uses one). I like the 7mm as well, but not as common. (I hunt with a 7MM SAUM).

Good luck getting through all these posts, and post pics of your rifle when you are done.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.