Best long range hunting shot to date...

I was about 15 at the time. The shot was on a Sparrow sized bird on a power line somewhere beyond 50 yards. I completely covered the bird with the front sight of my .177 caliber Benjamin Pump, at the shot the bird fell from the line! Not certain which of us was more surprised! 🤪 memtb

My best long range pigeon shot was about 100 yds with a .22 hornet. Frozen open field, no snow and a flock of a dozen or so. Aimed at the ground in the middle of the flock. Killed 3 or 4 with the shrapnel. Not exactly fine marksmanship, but effective. A head shot at 198 is far more impressive.

as a kid I only hunted birds. Mid twenties i got into deer hunting and reloading
I bought a husqvarna 7mm mag from my grandma after grandpa died. Some of my aunts and uncles didnt hunt. I Ioaded up some 140 gr ballistic tips and went after a " whitetail doe" with a drawn tag. It was after the buck season and when my brother and I came upon a herd of about 50 head they saw us and started nervously walking away. Brother shot first and they scattered. I finally singled out one and got prone with the bipod out and led this one doe like a duck
She was at least 400 yards out going uphill at an angle. I touched one off...got my eye back into the scope picture and saw her go down.
Further inspection revealed a small hole just under the right eye. She was angling left to right looking back at me. HEAD SHOT@ anywhere from 4-600 yards on a deer hopping and angling away. Lucky yes...but makes for a good story.
Brother got his but after skinning we found 6 holes in it. Shot 3 times because it just " stood there".
Funny..not so funny ending. After looking over my animal as a
i gutted it I realized this was indeed a mule deer and I possessed a whitetail tag. After I met back up with my brother I told him the bad news. He cursed me out for being so stupid. Then after a few minutes he got all quiet and asked me why I thought it was a mule deer
"Well, its mostly a darker brown than a whitetail and had a fairly short tail with a black tip and massive ears...."
Oh, well in that case, I shot one too🙄🙄🙄🤣🤣🤣🤣
First time deer hunting/shooting so alright already with the flamethrowers.
funny story though, as Iook back 25 years ago

Best shot was when I was 15 spending the summer in Arkansas on a family members farm, I was well tuned up with my Marlin 22 bolt rifle, I had shot lots of bullfrogs to eat, stalked a lot of crows but they would always fly before I could get close enough for a shot, then a fateful day came for one crow that flew by at about 30 yards, one 22 short stalled him in midair. I still love to shoot crows but my HP rifles get the nod for that now.

Had my finest long range hunting shot to date. It was a shot of opportunity while out doing some load testing, and though I wasn't prepared, I made it work.

Spotted the quarry on a hillside, and much to my chagrin, realized I'd left the 300 Win Mag at home. Had to make do with my 264 Win Mag, which is no slouch, but a 147 ELD-M at 3050 just doesn't have the horsepower I'm comfortable with for this kind shot on dangerous game. Was it unethical? Maybe? But in the end, the meat is in the freezer, and the animal didn't suffer.

For those that might complain that the ELDM can be explosive at high velocity, that's just nonsense. The wound channel was significant, about 3/4" in diameter, but penetration was excellent, with a complete pass through. Boom Flop.

OK...Boom Flap...

View attachment 353701

Farm fresh pigeon breast. 198 yds.

I wouldn't eat a city sky rat, but the farm pigeons are wild and wheat fed, and are delicious.

This really was my finest long range hunting shot. I intentionally took a head shot, as obviously a 264 Win Mag to the boiler room might have resulted in some blood shot meat...

Hitting a half MOA pigeon head at 198 yds is hard enough, but if you've ever watched these critters feeding across a field, you know they almost never stop moving, and their little noggins bounce up and down like crazy. I just had to be patient, and was ready when the opportunity arose.

Who woulda thought a good Labradoodle Retriever would be essential to long range hunting...

View attachment 353706
I love Doodles. Mine is all about hunting. She is a tenacious digger: moles are a regular quarry. Rabbits...too slow to get away from her. Quail...more than one Bobwhite has met their demise with her. She even brought a male Ringneck Phesant home a couple of months ago...and the native range of RP's is 800 miles away...I was impressed. Then I remembered that a nearby game preserve does release hunts and obviously, this was a previously lucky bird, until Dixie cut his scent.

My best shot was in my great Uncle's barn. Me and my cousin would go out with a pellet gun and spotlight barn rats. One took a dash across the rafters and I hit him on the run with a Crosman Powermaster 760...drt! I haven't had many experiences that stacked up to the admiration of my cousin congratulating me and telling everyone about the shot I made. I haven't thought of it in a long time...thanks for the reminder.

eta: just saw my post count is up to 11! I think that's some kind of milestone on here, lol?

My best shot was with a Daisy lever action BB gun. I was 8 years old and a sparrow sized bird sat down on the top of a water hydrant about 100 feet away. My budy said, "bet you cant hit it!" I said the 8 years olds equivelent of "Here hold my beer" and took a shot. The bird went down from a bb in the eye that went straight out the other side. From that day on my buddy proclaimed my prowess with a gun and listened to everything I told him about guns. I never told him that I had no idea how it had happened.

1977 Got transferred from Camp Pendelton to Quantic from Florida so I took 10 heading home. Was bored going thur Texas and no other cars so every time I saw a crow on the fence post I'd pop the 45 out the widow and shot it (loud as hell in the cab of the truck). About an hour later going 35mph I get pulled over by a Sheriff said he's been chasing me 10 miles. Who knew Texas had a crow season? Got a poaching ticket showed up every time I had to update my security clearance for the next 20 years. But got about a dozen crows with a 1959 1911 that rattles when you shook it.

Well I guess after giving it lots of thought. Took my son to Zortman Montana in the early 90's for his senior trip. We, myself my son and three friends. Us all being rednecks from Alabama never experienced anything like that before. Our host John Kalel and his wife Candy were our host for setting up our licenses and a place to stay through an advertisement in varmint hunter magazine. We took 22-250's, .243's, and. 308's.I was shooting a Sendero in the 08 since I quickly realized the other two were useless at long range across that flat terrain with wind.so anyway I managed with a lot of Kentucky windage to pull off 2 kill shots at 750yds. Now mind you that's rednecks measurement driving to the kills and breaking down the odometer reading into yards. At the time what was a rangefinder anyway?

Attachments

• 20220329_161720.jpg
    20220329_161720.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
I knocked down an antelope with a 338 lapua at 1109 yds. It was a typical episode of Wyo Outfitters Behaving Badly, they were using ATVs driving antelope off public and on to private. Got ****ed off, grabbed the big gun and flattend a doe. DNR lady got a good laugh out of it.

Last edited:
My best shot was with a Daisy lever action BB gun. I was 8 years old and a sparrow sized bird sat down on the top of a water hydrant about 100 feet away. My budy said, "bet you cant hit it!" I said the 8 years olds equivelent of "Here hold my beer" and took a shot. The bird went down from a bb in the eye that went straight out the other side. From that day on my buddy proclaimed my prowess with a gun and listened to everything I told him about guns. I never told him that I had no idea how it had happened.
😉😃