Best long range hunting shot to date...

Here's one that my dad made about 30 years ago.

We still farmed then and anytime I saw a coyote I'd run to tell him so he could shoot it.

So, spotted one while being the heathen that I was at that age and ran back to the house to tell him. He grabs his .270 and into the farm truck we go.

First shot is broad side at 100 yards or so…miss. Two more follow with the song dog really stretching it out at this point, both misses as well. Hope back into the truck and book it to the edge of the wheat filed and run parallel to it until we are even with the yote. He maxes out the range in the scope on the gun (lord only knows how close that was), lays across the hood and shoots the last round in the gun. We see it splash in front of the yote, he cuts hard left goes 15 yards and falls over.

After we mark the spot with a bucket we go grab a yard wheel from the shop and ride to the yote because he wanted to see how far it was. 540 yards. The bullet went between the yote's legs and clipped him enough in the chest to drop him.

My dad says it was skill, I think not after the broad side miss at 100…

I feel your pain. We had 'Golden Mantleds" charge us. We called them timber tigers.
Called them 'Rock Cougars'

Got a marmot couple years ago...dialed up the scope...200yards.... 22lr...first shot drilled it...next 6 finished it off...

Piece of a clay pigeon at the rock pit..same 22lr ruger 77/22...dialed 30 clicks(all it had) held 20ft higher and about 15 ft right for wind...first shot wasn't close but 6th shot obliterated it...
476yds....that was fun.....

Last edited:
IMG_5938.jpg

Salt and pepper, slice o bacon, ~20 min in the air fryer at 400°.

Delicious.

I didn't witness it, but both my brother and his buddy still tell the story nearly 60 years later of how my dad saw a covey of quail on the road, skidded the VW Bug to a stop, jumped out, and shot the head off of a quail when he jumped to fly. Both of them can repeat those details and show exactly where the killing took place. The shot was about 15 yards...not exactly long range.The weapon of choice? A homemade slingshot and a rock. I'm sure there was an element of luck, but my dad was a depression era farm kid who hunted with a slingshot bc that's all they could afford. I personally witnessed him make orange juice concentrate can dance across the yard with a slingshot.

3 shots come to mind they all involved yanking a hunting buddies cord.

I made a plains game hunt in 2005 to Namibia. The first day every time we made a stalk we got busted or there was not a animal worth taking. I insisted on shooting from the ground even though legal to shoot from. On top the truck. My wife too a very nice gemsboc the first evening. Needless to say the Ph had fun at my expense at dinner because my wife made the first kill.

The next morning the wind steadied out and things turn around. We found a nice herd of blue wildebeest with a good bull.

We dismounted and made a stalk but ran out of cover. At 440 yards.

I said it's not a problem , I can kill him from here. He looked at me skeptical the snuck in fron of me with a bamboo tripod he was proud of and bragging on all day how steady they were.

I steeped forward slowly and carefully mounted my rifle knocking the tripod over. The ph got flustered and hurriedly bent down and rest them. I carefully mounted my rifle knocking them over again.

He was even more flustered as he reset them. I grabbed them threw them gently over my shoulder and said " dam it keep these out my way"

I snapped the rifle to my shoulder, broke the shot in about 2 seconds. We heard a good thump when the .416 dia barnes hit home. He ran 200 + yards blowing blood six feet both side.

We rolled him over and the round hit just on top of the heat through both lungs. He said dam that was a fine shot.

I asked , did I remember to tell you that " I won the southern Nationals in small bore shillouette in A and AA 2 months ago.

He taught me my first African curse word as he walked off shaking his head trying not to laugh.

The other 2 shot happened close to 50 years ago. I bought a Thompson contender with a 410 barrel and choke system. My hunting buddy Ted and I were out after snipe.

I was not having any luck , they were flushing wild that morning. Ted was giving me a hard time about missing so s many birds with my new toy.

We were walking along and a marsh hen flushed at our feet. I quick drew the pistol and fire the shot killing the rail.

Ted started in on me how that was all luck and would never happen again. I had just reloaded and holstered the pistol.

Before we could take a step a dove was flying straight at us. I drew the pistol fired the shot and the dove Literally fell between Teds feet.

I said next time I reload and clean it on the way down. He did talk to me for about 1/2 hour.

My best happened just after I graduated from high school back when the dinosaurs were still alive. My buddies and I were out plinking in the Idaho desert with about anything we could find that would shoot. We were just finishing up when a rock chuck stuck his head up about 150-200 yards away (im guessing). I had a Ruger .22 pistol in my hand and told my buddies "watch this." I aimed about 6 or 7 feet over it and fired a one-handed shot. If I'm lyin' I'm dyin' that thing flopped over dead. The chuck was surprised, I was surprised, and my buddies just stood there bug-eyed. In my memory I was nonchalant and cool about it. In reality I probably did a little happy-dance jig. ;)

Very nice, my best was a white wing dove from around 75 yds with a 218 bee lever action open sight. Grazed half the neck off. No damaged meat. Went straight on the grill not even 15 min later.

I pound them flat, dip them in flour, and pan fry them. Seasoned with garlic salt they are delicious! Makes me wonder how'd they be tonkastu style.

One of my most memorable best shots was my first one. Walking down an alley with our BB guns a friend and I each had a cold pop in our hands. A sparrow landed in the top of a tree maybe 30 yards away. I raised my rifle to my shoulder with one hand and while taking a drink held over the bird and it dropped at the shot. We were 8-9 years old.