Best bullet for 300 wby

I'm an elk hunter that hunts both high desert and has long range (800ish) shots as well as forests where I deal with short (25 yard) shots. I'm looking for a 200+ grain bullet to run over staball HD. Recommendations?

I use 200g Accubonds for general hunting in my 300Bee, for LR use, to 800, I use 210g ABLR or 230g Hybrid Hunters, not the EOL.
I run RE25 with 200g Accubonds and Retumbo with the other 2. H1000 works in a pinch with all 3, but is slower in velocity by a good 100fps or more.

Cheers.

As you mentioned a possible 25 yard shot, your best bullet may not be a 200 grain cup and core. That said, the Partition will work at 25, but at those velocities, sheds more weight than I like. And, it will often completely fold the front jacket back along the base……severely reducing frontal area. JMO…..O as in observations!

As mentioned, consider the Hammer line of bullets or a Barnes 175 grain LRX. 3100+ mv should be doable with either bullet.

The copper bullets simply work from virtual point blank range to the range at which you get good expansion. With that cartridge, 800 yards should be well within their capabilities. memtb

Last edited:
From Hodgdon Reloading Center:

1724128306148.png

Last edited:
I'm an elk hunter that hunts both high desert and has long range (800ish) shots as well as forests where I deal with short (25 yard) shots. I'm looking for a 200+ grain bullet to run over staball HD. Recommendations?
Not 200g but I'm shooting 180g Barnes, at 3,200 fps, and have fantastic results. Haven't gotten out to 800 yet, but 700 isn't a problem.

There's no bullet fired from a .300WBY that will fail to kill elk at 25 yards, I would look at what will perform at 800, if a shot at that distance is a possibility.

208ELDM/ 212ELDX and 175 LRX come to mind. The 200 gr Partition is a great bullet, but it's not very aerodynamic and will have much more drop and drift at at 800 yards than many other choices.

There's no bullet fired from a .300WBY that will fail to kill elk at 25 yards, I would look at what will perform at 800, if a shot at that distance is a possibility.

208ELDM/ 212ELDX and 175 LRX come to mind. The 200 gr Partition is a great bullet, but it's not very aerodynamic and will have much more drop and drift at at 800 yards than many other choices.

Marc, that depends upon the bullet and the placement of "said" bullet! A very steeply angled shot from the rear of an elk at very close range with a very frangible bullet, which works nicely at extended ranges and broadside or nearly so shots, may not reach the vitals on the aforementioned shot.

Some may choose 'not" to attempt that shot, but many hunters may not live in elk country and be afforded the privilege of passing on these type of shots awaiting the "near perfect" shot! memtb

Marc, that depends upon the bullet and the placement of "said" bullet! A very steeply angled shot from the rear of an elk at very close range with a very frangible bullet, which works nicely at extended ranges and broadside or nearly so shots, may not reach the vitals on the aforementioned shot.

Some may choose 'not" to attempt that shot, but many hunters may not live in elk country and be afforded the privilege of passing on these type of shots awaiting the "near perfect" shot! memtb
I reckon I was basing that statement on his stated criteria of 200gr or heavier- I'm not aware of any 200+gr .30cal bullets that are particularly fragile, but I certainly could be wrong.

Are you talking about trying to shoot through the guts/stomach/grass bag to reach the vitals?

Gonna be honest, this is mostly because I've heard really bad things about the ELDX bullets. I've heard they don't do well at close ranges or with hard angles. I have a very accurate load with the 212 eldx but I'm worried about it

Recent Posts