Best bullet for 300 wby

Not being argumentative here, just presenting what may be an alternative (and perhaps unpopular) viewpoint.

What is meant by "don't do well"? Don't hold together/ don't provide a pretty looking recovered bullet? Or don't kill?

I've shot whitetails with a 180 Ballistic Tip from a .300WinMag and the bullet basically blew up like a grenade, but they dropped like they had been struck by a bolt of lightning.

Some would call that a "bullet failure", or a "failure to perform" but others would ask: "At what point in the animal's demise did the bullet 'fail to perform'?" I know, I know, I'm talking about whitetails not elk, but elk are not so much bigger that a crazy amount of penetration is required to reach their vitals.

Nearly any bullet meant to perform at long range will "overperform" at close range. But it will still kill, sometimes spectacularly. Are we looking for a beautiful elk to perhaps get mounted? Or a beautiful recovered bullet to display?

I spent some time working for a bullet manufacturer that we all know the name of, making bullets. One thing I learned in my time there is that there is no perfect bullet. Bullets are engineered to perform in different ways and at different impact velocities.

If a bullet is "soft" enough to open up and perform at 800 yd, it will likely fragment at 25 yards or even 100 if the initial velocity is high enough. If a bullet is tough enough to hold together at 25 yards, it is unlikely to open or perform at 800 yards.

Anything can happen if we make a bad shot, but I submit that putting nearly any bullet traveling North of 3000fps/ 4000 lb•ft of energy right in the chest cavity of an elk (or nearly any thin-skinned creature)- it will not be survivable.

All that said, confidence is everything and if you aren't confident in the ELD- type bullets it may make sense to use something else. The Barnes LRX are pretty good performers at distance. At 25 yards it's likely to "overperform/fail", and strip the petals off the bullet, but the shank is nearly indestructible and will still penetrate deeply and kill things.
I stick with the 175gr because I can get them going pretty fast. At 200 grains the shank is starting to get really long, causing more friction and it's more difficult to get them going as fast as I would like them to go.

Not being argumentative here, just presenting what may be an alternative (and perhaps unpopular) viewpoint.

What is meant by "don't do well"? Don't hold together/ don't provide a pretty looking recovered bullet? Or don't kill?

I've shot whitetails with a 180 Ballistic Tip from a .300WinMag and the bullet basically blew up like a grenade, but they dropped like they had been struck by a bolt of lightning.

Some would call that a "bullet failure", or a "failure to perform" but others would ask: "At what point in the animal's demise did the bullet 'fail to perform'?" I know, I know, I'm talking about whitetails not elk, but elk are not so much bigger that a crazy amount of penetration is required to reach their vitals.

Nearly any bullet meant to perform at long range will "overperform" at close range. But it will still kill, sometimes spectacularly. Are we looking for a beautiful elk to perhaps get mounted? Or a beautiful recovered bullet to display?

I spent some time working for a bullet manufacturer that we all know the name of, making bullets. One thing I learned in my time there is that there is no perfect bullet. Bullets are engineered to perform in different ways and at different impact velocities.

If a bullet is "soft" enough to open up and perform at 800 yd, it will likely fragment at 25 yards or even 100 if the initial velocity is high enough. If a bullet is tough enough to hold together at 25 yards, it is unlikely to open or perform at 800 yards.

Anything can happen if we make a bad shot, but I submit that putting nearly any bullet traveling North of 3000fps/ 4000 lb•ft of energy right in the chest cavity of an elk (or nearly any thin-skinned creature)- it will not be survivable.

All that said, confidence is everything and if you aren't confident in the ELD- type bullets it may make sense to use something else. The Barnes LRX are pretty good performers at distance. At 25 yards it's likely to "overperform/fail", and strip the petals off the bullet, but the shank is nearly indestructible and will still penetrate deeply and kill things.
I stick with the 175gr because I can get them going pretty fast. At 200 grains the shank is starting to get really long, causing more friction and it's more difficult to get them going as fast as I would like them to go.
My first 10 years of hunting I used 180 grn Nosler BT in my 300WBY. As close as 50 yards and inside of 400 yards. ALWAYS DRT. When I went ot SA, supplies where hard to find, I managed 200 gr AB for my son and 200 gr PT for me. ALL DRT again, inside of 400 yards for game as big a a real large female zebra nad a real large Hartebeest

I reckon I was basing that statement on his stated criteria of 200gr or heavier- I'm not aware of any 200+gr .30cal bullets that are particularly fragile, but I certainly could be wrong.

Are you talking about trying to shoot through the guts/stomach/grass bag to reach the vitals?

And yes, on your last paragraph! While not considered optimal……it's very effective. Especially so, if it means finishing the season without an elk……whether an expensive non-resident hunter or a hunter needing to fill his freezer. End of season, close shots, on a moving elk in timber may not afford the hunter to be picky about his/her shots.

Obviously, this type of shot will require much more "attention to detail" when field dressing/processing of the animal. But a bit more time, perhaps a bit more lost meat…..but, that trumps no meat in the freezer! memtb

Last edited:
I'm more worried about what happens when I have to take a hard quartering away shot on an 800+ pound bull with penetration on the eldx. I don't care how pretty the bullet is when I'm done. I'm worried about an ethical and quick kill. I have a nightmare about losing an injured animal (I'm a farmer too so I work with cattle daily and may be a bit of a softy)

I'm more worried about what happens when I have to take a hard quartering away shot on an 800+ pound bull with penetration on the eldx. I don't care how pretty the bullet is when I'm done. I'm worried about an ethical and quick kill. I have a nightmare about losing an injured animal (I'm a farmer too so I work with cattle daily and may be a bit of a softy)

Exactly! Another good reason to "NOT" use a minimal cartridge/bullet combo if less than desirable shots may be made. A larger diameter, higher sectional density bullet, that will offer some expansion at long range yet retain it's integrity on a close range, high velocity shot.

Fairly high expectations for a bullet……but there are bullets that will "check those boxes"! However, it's the hunter's/shooter's responsibility to keep his/her long range shots within the minimal expansion velocities for said bullet! memtb

Exactly! Another good reason to "NOT" use a minimal cartridge/bullet combo if less than desirable shots may be made. A larger diameter, higher sectional density bullet, that will offer some expansion at long range yet retain it's integrity on a close range, high velocity shot.

Fairly high expectations for a bullet……but there are bullets that will "check those boxes"! However, it's the hunter's/shooter's responsibility to keep his/her long range shots within the minimal expansion velocities for said bullet! memtb
So do you think like a 220 ELDX? Or just a 200 gr accubond?

So do you think like a 220 ELDX? Or just a 200 gr accubond?

The only experience I have with the ELDX, was a test using a 6.5 CM @ 25 yards, should be great for varmints. I have no experience at all with any of the other ELDX's.

"IF" the Accubond is truly a bonded bullet……I suspect that it would perform much better with a high velocity, close range impact.

Obviously, my answers are pure speculation for both! memtb

I reckon I was basing that statement on his stated criteria of 200gr or heavier- I'm not aware of any 200+gr .30cal bullets that are particularly fragile, but I certainly could be wrong.

Are you talking about trying to shoot through the guts/stomach/grass bag to reach the vitals?
210g ABLR is perfectly frangible to beyond 800. In fact, my tests proved it, and others, would reliably expand below the 1300fps minimum. One of the better LR bullets I have ever used and tested. Even better than certain Berger bullets…

Cheers.

210g ABLR is perfectly frangible to beyond 800. In fact, my tests proved it, and others, would reliably expand below the 1300fps minimum. One of the better LR bullets I have ever used and tested. Even better than certain Berger bullets…

Cheers.

But……..the OP mentioned shots as close as 25 yards. How would the ABLR do at that range?

Scenario: The only shot offered, with the hunting season ending and perhaps your only/last elk hunt…… is a steeply angled shot from the rear with zero chance for a head shot. Can you slip the bullet just forward of the hind leg, with certainty that the bullet will penetrate a couple of feet of elk, possibly some wet/packed grass, and continue through the diaphragm into the lungs.

A tall order for a bullet that's designed to open down to 1300 fps. memtb

20221001_103108.jpg

Shot this bull at 10 feet with a Berger, broke both front shoulders, trashed the vitals and exited. Elk aren't bulletproof mythical creatures that require anything special, shoot em where they should be shot with anything reasonable and they die.

But……..the OP mentioned shots as close as 25 yards. How would the ABLR do at that range?

Scenario: The only shot offered, with the hunting season ending and perhaps your only/last elk hunt…… is a steeply angled shot from the rear with zero chance for a head shot. Can you slip the bullet just forward of the hind leg, with certainty that the bullet will penetrate a couple of feet of elk, possibly some wet/packed grass, and continue through the diaphragm into the lungs.

A tall order for a bullet that's designed to open down to 1300 fps. memtb
It would do fine, the bonded core and solid base do very well at holding together. I see them in 6.5mm do just the same as the larger counterparts. I wouldn't hesitate at all, those solid bases travel far doing damage. Due to their controlled expansion design, you'd be surprised how well they actually hold up, I know I was.
I wouldn't shoot a regular cup & core bullet in the rear end hoping for a clean kill. I would with an ABLR. Even an Accubond is gonna penetrate a bit more than ABLR in my experience, but the bullets look similar, not vastly different at all in expansion.

Cheers.

I'm running 180 grain TTSX in my 300 RUM, 300 WBYs, 300 WMs and 300 WSMs. I would/am considering maybe switching to the Barnes 190 Lrx if I'm maybe going to 800, but for me... I've done moose and elk from 30 yards and out to 500. If an 800 yard shot came up, I wouldn't hesitate pulling the trigger.

I nailed a moose at 25-30 yards with a 200 grain Accubond in my 325 WSM with a VERY VERY HOT load and while there was not a lot of the bullet as it mushroomed so much... it still stayed together and as a result I was IMPRESSED with the ABLRs performance.

So from 30 out to say 750 or 800, my thoughts are a 180 to 190 grain TTSX, Hammer or ABLR and you really cannot go wrong. If your going past 800 then I would definitely say go to the heavier weights. Going heavier just hits harder up close and helps when shooting long.