Ballistic Apps

I guess the next thing I'd do, is a tall target test to check the scope to make sure it is moving what the knobs say. Then shoot a group at 400 to see where the center of the group actually is. And while you're at it, make elevation and windage adjustments to zero so you don't need offsets in the program. Also use at least 2 wind flags when you do it. Make sure your vertical line on the target is plumb. When you shoot at 400, use extra wind flags.

Last edited:
Blank out zero offset and also get rid of powder, temp and check your results afterward

Why do you have a .75 zero offset in your zero? Are you .75" high at 100?
Zero offset is due to not being exactly at zero. It's -0.500" (low) and 0.750 right.

Attachments

• D110EC99-7E61-4A1F-B2BD-4D06D13A26BB.jpeg
    D110EC99-7E61-4A1F-B2BD-4D06D13A26BB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
I've done calculations with the app both ways. Doesn't make a difference at 400 yds.

Not sure why I would want to zero those out as they do serve a purpose.
Just to get a baseline at this point, it's a matter of change something check your results. If the results don't show a difference, put it back to where you were try something else.

Based on my use of the app, this info doesn't necessarily need to be entered. Often times the bullet length is unkown.
I have a book from Brian Litz that is very helpful ballistic performance of rifle bullets, volume three. It definitely makes a difference, but you can always just measure your lots of bullets and get close. It would be better than zero.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have a book from Brian Litz that is very helpful ballistic performance of rifle bullets, volume three. It definitely makes a difference, but you can always just measure your lots of bullets and get close. It would be better than zero.View attachment 490198View attachment 490199
I've added bullet length to the Shooter app in the past and also in this current example. It makes no difference in the calculation of the trajectory. The bullet length info on the Berger is readily available from Berger on their website.

Even the 4DOF calculator doesn't require length.

Adding additional data from Litz doesn't change the calculation out to 405 yds.

Attachments

• 787616FF-6C31-46D0-8191-1FE5B2AD25B0.png
    787616FF-6C31-46D0-8191-1FE5B2AD25B0.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Some of the stuff we look at is
scopes being calibrated and info imputed into programs
speed measured by lab or magneto is fact then don't fudge the speed but tweak the BC because science proved your speed and your barrels machining or tooling in the groves affects and distorts the bullets BC for what its rated for - your barrel and your speed is easily different from the manufacturers setup, speeds and ratings.

Just a few
JH

Buttermilk I feel your pain, I've been there and done that. I don't have time right now to respond the way I want to because I'm harvesting Sugar Beets but I have had the same problem that you have had. I will get back to you on Sunday as to what I found out. you can customise the 4DOF program.
Randy