Ballistic Apps

I'm Back, I feel your pain and have been through it all. The hornady 4dof program is awesome, but remember garbage in garbage. I have bought and used them all but what Hornady has done for free is outstanding.

DOPE, Distance Of Previous Engagement. You have to know exactly what your gun is doing at different distances.100yds 400yds 600yds 800yds

A). The most important piece of a perfect zero. is a Kestrel 2500 or better model because the environment condition are important. The elevation from sea level will change everyday and the 2500 for $160 bucks will give you everything you need. You have to take this reading every time you shoot.

B). Chronograph your rifle. This is the one bit of info that is true and you don't have to tune on it very much (contrary to what I use to think).

C). Know the BC of your bullet.

D). Scope height, measure and enter it.

So now that you have all this info into the 4DOF you should be hitting really close and then to perfect it there are 3 thing to adjust in this order.
1- Scope height
2- BC of bullet
3- Speed
By playing with these you can really get it Dailed in.

Good luck
Rocky, he said this same error is happening on all of his and his friends' rifles. So, ask yourself what is common to multiple rifles? Your above suggestions has no commonality with all of his rifles because he is seeing it with multiple calibers (multiple BCs), multiple scopes, multiple cartridges, multiple scope rings, etc.

If you don't have wind flags, here is an easy way to make something low budget. Flagging tape 2' long tied on top of markers. They can show you things that you didn't realize are happening.

Wind isn't my issue. Elevation is. Range is pretty much sheltered from wind by trees. At the times we have shot with some wind, if I corrected for wind, the shots went the direction of correction. Then I realized the wind effect was minimized by the trees. Taking the wind correction out put the left/right windage impact back where it belonged. I don't recall shooting at any time with more than ~7 mph wind.

I have some thoughts on what might be going on but need to do some more shooting to see if my thoughts are valid.

If you don't have wind flags, here is an easy way to make something low budget. Flagging tape 2' long tied on top of markers. They can show you things that you didn't realize are happening.

Yup these work pretty good.

Wind isn't my issue. Elevation is. Range is pretty much sheltered from wind by trees. At the times we have shot with some wind, if I corrected for wind, the shots went the direction of correction. Then I realized the wind effect was minimized by the trees. Taking the wind correction out put the left/right windage impact back where it belonged. I don't recall shooting at any time with more than ~7 mph wind.

I have some thoughts on what might be going on but need to do some more shooting to see if my thoughts are valid.
Please keep the thread updated as at this point you have had every piece of advice under the sun... It appears to me that there must be a fairly substantial error being input to produce the results you are seeing. The really telling part of this is that it is happening across multiple rifles which would seem to lead to the same error input on all the rifles. And 400 yards isn't that far for the error to be noticeable.

Anyways, as frustrating as it is, it may be helpful to others in the future once you are able to track down the culprit.

Rocky, he said this same error is happening on all of his and his friends' rifles. So, ask yourself what is common to multiple rifles? Your above suggestions has no commonality with all of his rifles because he is seeing it with multiple calibers (multiple BCs), multiple scopes, multiple cartridges, multiple scope rings, etc.
I didn't take the time to read all the post! But if all the rifle were shot on the same day using the same info put in to them then it make perfect sense. But maybe I should have taken an hour and read all the comments before commenting. The environmental info is a huge issue and would make all the guns do the same thing.

With a right twist and the wind behind you the bullet will hit lower and if it is directly at you it will hit higher.
Psssst...Randy...it's the opposite. ;)

This is quite easy to see when the bullet flies in a headwind or tailwind only (no crosswind). Suppose that you fire a bullet with a muzzle of 3000 fps and a tailwind of 10 mph. When the bullet leaves the muzzle its velocity is 3000 fps relative to the ground, since you are holding the rifle still relative to the ground. The wind at your back blows toward your target with a velocity of 14.67 fps (10 mph). Then, at the instant the bullet leaves the muzzle, its velocity RELATIVE TO THE MOVING AIR is 2985.33 fps. If there were no wind blowing, the bullet's velocity relative to the still air would be 3000 fps. Since the relative velocity is lower, the drag is a little lower when the bullet leaves the muzzle. As the bullet rides the tailwind, the drag is lower than it would be if the bullet flew in still air all along the trajectory. With less drag, the bullet reaches the target earlier (time of flight decreases), it has more remaining velocity when it gets there, and it suffers less drop (impacts a little high).

If you were firing into a 10 mph headwind instead, just the opposite situation would happen. The bullet velocity relative to the air would be 3014.67 fps at the muzzle. Since the relative velocity is higher than it would be in still air, drag is higher when the bullet leaves the muzzle. As the bullet bucks the headwind, the drag is higher than it would be in still air all along the trajectory. Consequently, the bullet reaches the target later (time of flight increases), it has a smaller remaining velocity when it gets there, and it drops more (impacts a little low).

wind effect_zpsjeru7jhj.jpg

Today, I shot again at a moderate distance. This time an even 400 yds. I used my same profile as before, just input the different environmentals via weather station.

Only change I made was zero inputs. I had ran out of the ammo used previously (77.5 gr chg wt) but had some 77.0 gr loads handy so I used them. Velocity today was virtually the same as last time out, so that didn't change much. My zero with this ammo was a tiny bit different (0.500" high; 0.250" left). That info was put into the Shooter app.

Now I get 4.5 MOA come up. 🤷‍♂️

My brother's gun was spot on with no changes from last time, except Hornady 4DOF called for 4 MOA up (which is what was used) and Shooter called for 4.2 MOA up.

Seems the one thing I am finding is how I input the "zero angle" in 4DOF, or the "zero offset" in Shooter is the one thing that is making the app calculate differently. I am almost certain that's where my "error" may have been coming from.

As a continuation of the example previously posted, here's the screen shot of my calc'd come up for the 300WM.

I still have some work to do on some other guns but I'm getting there. My XP-100 30 Nosler #2 will be up next. I'll also shot my XP-100 30 Nosler #1 as well. 😁®️©️😁

Attachments

• 13139ADB-CEE1-471C-9AC6-214F0FA4686B.png
    13139ADB-CEE1-471C-9AC6-214F0FA4686B.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Currently I use Shooter and Hornady 4DOF.

When both are fed the same inputs, they both put out the same data.

Recently, I've found a place to shoot ~400-420 yds or so. My guns are zero'd at 100 yds.

What I've noticed is that I am repeatedly impacting high on the target after dialing up. Typically 1/2 to 1 MOA difference in impact vs dialed. As an example, my Shooter app may say to dial up 5.5 MOA but actually 4.5 MOA gets the bullet close to point of aim.

So far, everything we've shot (myself, my brother and a friend) have all been high on impact. The closest one yet was my 30 Nosler #1, which impacted only 2" high at 406 yds.

This includes a 6mm ARC, 300 RUM, 30 Nosler, 300 WM, 28 Nosler.

My brother's 300 RUM was calling for 4.5 MOA up. Reality was it only needed 4 MOA up.

The 6mm ARC was calling for 5.5 MOA up, but only needed 5 MOA.

A 300 Win Mag called for 5.5 MOA up but only needed 4.5 MOA up.

I've looked closing at my data inputs, and scratching my head as to why. Everything seems correct. Conditions are input correctly, Gun specifics are correct, load fps is as accurate as my Chrony can be.

I even make sure my actual zero is input correctly as well, as both Shooter & H4DOF allow that.

I'm certain I'm doing something wrong, just not sure what. 🤷‍♂️

If I do the velocity calibration for the 300 WM for example, it says I'm pushing a Berger 190 VLDH at 3273 fps which is insane. Chrony shows 3093 fps average for the load from a 26" barrel.

At 400 yds it's still off a bit, and at farther distances would only get worse.
What scope are you using and have you verified that it's tracking correctly by doing a box test or tall.target test?

Psssst...Randy...it's the opposite. ;)

This is quite easy to see when the bullet flies in a headwind or tailwind only (no crosswind). Suppose that you fire a bullet with a muzzle of 3000 fps and a tailwind of 10 mph. When the bullet leaves the muzzle its velocity is 3000 fps relative to the ground, since you are holding the rifle still relative to the ground. The wind at your back blows toward your target with a velocity of 14.67 fps (10 mph). Then, at the instant the bullet leaves the muzzle, its velocity RELATIVE TO THE MOVING AIR is 2985.33 fps. If there were no wind blowing, the bullet's velocity relative to the still air would be 3000 fps. Since the relative velocity is lower, the drag is a little lower when the bullet leaves the muzzle. As the bullet rides the tailwind, the drag is lower than it would be if the bullet flew in still air all along the trajectory. With less drag, the bullet reaches the target earlier (time of flight decreases), it has more remaining velocity when it gets there, and it suffers less drop (impacts a little high).

If you were firing into a 10 mph headwind instead, just the opposite situation would happen. The bullet velocity relative to the air would be 3014.67 fps at the muzzle. Since the relative velocity is higher than it would be in still air, drag is higher when the bullet leaves the muzzle. As the bullet bucks the headwind, the drag is higher than it would be in still air all along the trajectory. Consequently, the bullet reaches the target later (time of flight increases), it has a smaller remaining velocity when it gets there, and it drops more (impacts a little low).
Thanks, sometime dyslexic gets the best of me! What a great explanation.

Recent Posts