Ballistic Apps

I need to do some more shooting/testing with various guns.

I am certain I'm inputting the data into the app correctly. However, it's possible I might be missing something that has escaped me for the moment.

I do need to check my click values for accuracy but I highly doubt they'd be off by 18% - possible but unlikely.

Thanks to those who have offered offline help. I appreciate it and will take you up on that as time permits.

One thing that stands out to me is that at 400 yds, differences should be minimal at the most.

I'll get to the bottom of this yet, with the help of you all.

Josh06
Is your sight height correct? I used your numbers on the Hornady Ballistic Calculator and got 5.5 MOA up with 1" sight height but adjusted it to 2.25" and it calculated 4.6 MOA up. Just a thought.

My confusion about your assumption above is that it's happening on his and his friends' MULTIPLE rifle setups. How could he mess up multiple scope heights? He's making the same input mistakes on all of the rifles. He needs to find that mistake. What is common to all of these firearms?

Last edited:
Buttermilk, I didn't read the entire thread to catch all of the details but it appears you still need to resolve the issue. Hornady has YouTube videos walking you thru the process of using 4DOF, I'll try to attach links. It seems easy and intuitive but some of the nuances can be deceiving.

ALWAYS right down all of your real world data and then make the software match the real world results, not vice versa.

Also the 4DOF bc calculator is not as good as others. The doppler radar 4DOF calculator is extremely good.

Post screen shots of your inputs and we can try to look for errors.

Here is the link:

Josh06
Is your sight height correct? I used your numbers on the Hornady Ballistic Calculator and got 5.5 MOA up with 1" sight height but adjusted it to 2.25" and it calculated 4.6 MOA up. Just a thought.

My confusion about your assumption above is that it's happening on his and his friends' MULTIPLE rifle setups. How could he mess up multiple scopeI heights? He's making the same input mistakes on all of the rifles. He needs to find that mistake. What is common to all of these firearms?
I was thinking maybe he had not adjusted on any of the profiles or all profiles were set the same and not accurate.

One time, my Strelok Pro accidently selected the wrong BC formula. Pro allows you to select whether you're using G1 BC, G7 BC, or something called doppler. Somehow, the doppler setting was selected but I inputed a G1 number. I was scatching my head why the predictions were so far off until I checked EVERY line slowly and discovered the mistake. Changed it from doppler to G1 and everything corrected itself. It could be something similar to this that is common to all the firearms in his app, especially if he copied one of his rifles and then changed it for other rifles. The copy function would have transfered the mistake over and over again for each rifle.

Last edited:
Not sure if this was brought up, but I know a lot of apps have a default zero range of 100 yards. If you are zeroed for 200 on all of your rifles, that would make a difference.
also if the zero is off at all that will compound itself at distance.

Okay, here are some screen shots of my Shooter app.

Hopefully in proper order.

Here's my specifics:

3093 fps instrumental velocity
Berger 190 VLDH
0.291 BC
1103 ft elevation
92.84 'F at time of chronograph
69% humidity at time of chronograph
29.85 BP
Above was when I zero'd the gun and shot two groups as evidenced by target posted previously.

Below are the conditions when I shot at 402 yds all same day, just a short bit later.
89'F at time of shooting 402 yds
59% humidity at time of shooting 402 yds
29.85 BP
1103 ft elevation

Attachments

• 407FBDCC-703C-413A-9801-DE1CF3E460EA.png
    407FBDCC-703C-413A-9801-DE1CF3E460EA.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 2F69408E-145E-485C-AA31-B15E23F6B91F.png
    2F69408E-145E-485C-AA31-B15E23F6B91F.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 36
  • C3736F75-34B5-4867-9289-CA067AB8E974.png
    C3736F75-34B5-4867-9289-CA067AB8E974.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 41361EDA-4195-4DE1-B40D-44F8BC0DAFEB.png
    41361EDA-4195-4DE1-B40D-44F8BC0DAFEB.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 314B96E4-615F-4D71-8FCC-9FF751ED7237.png
    314B96E4-615F-4D71-8FCC-9FF751ED7237.png
    97.5 KB · Views: 35
Okay, here are some screen shots of my Shooter app.

Hopefully in proper order.

Here's my specifics:

3093 fps instrumental velocity
Berger 190 VLDH
0.291 BC
1103 ft elevation
92.84 'F at time of chronograph
69% humidity at time of chronograph
29.85 BP
Above was when I zero'd the gun and shot two groups as evidenced by target posted previously.

Below are the conditions when I shot at 402 yds all same day, just a short bit later.
89'F at time of shooting 402 yds
59% humidity at time of shooting 402 yds
29.85 BP
1103 ft elevation
couple of quick questions.
-what was the temp when you measured your velocity?
-what distance are you zeroed at and how have you verified it?

OK, a few thoughts to consider.
I've entered your data and get the same outputs as you were getting. (Assuming 100 yard zero). There is no sense adjusting BC at that short of distance as you really won't see any discernible difference in your calculation without massively adjusting it. That only leaves us with a few items to check off the list for the error you are seeing.

-muzzle velocity
-zero distance
-scope tracking/reliability
-shooting groups (at distance you are trying to find the center of the group to adjust off of, you can't adjust from a single round)

Off the cuff I would wager your scope is not tracking perfectly 1MOA per 1MOA adjustment. This isn't the end of the world but needs to be verified and accounted for if you want correct calculations. Many calculators have a field that adjusts for this.

Your zero distance would have to be off substantially for the error but it is possible if you are only using a range finder. Break out a measuring tape or use a gps to confirm distances. if you are within 2-3 yards I wouldn't imagine this to be the issue.

You mention using a couple of different chronographs, but were the measurements taken the same day that it was 89 degrees or previously?

It is tedious to track down the culprit but your data isn't going to line up until you are able to track down the error. Again, my suspicion is in the scope itself as even the best are known to have an issue occasionally.

ETA: Also I see that your bullet isn't in the 4DOF side of Hornady's calculator. I've not had great luck with their BC calculator but at 400 yards it still shouldn't be that far off

Last edited: