Bad load? Bad scope? Bad barrel

I have a custom rifle. I cannot get any traction creating a load for it. I either have a real bad load, bad scope or bad barrel.

It has shot 0.25" groups in the past, then I had a 3/4" load with Hornady ELD-X's of late, 2-3" is the norm now. I've tried 3-4 bullets, 3-4 powders, etc.

Ammo is loaded to a high accuracy level in terms of quality of components, accuracy of charge weight, accuracy of primer seating, seating depth, bullet runout. This is some of th3 best ammo i've made sd's are in the 7-12 range on several charges.

The load is not tuned, but who knows. I can't really tune it. Everything is bad. Barrel is a Brux….probably 1000 shots on it. Stock is tight. Scope screws are tight.

I'm stumped. I'm changing the scope just to see what I can see.

Thoughts?
It's difficult to determine what the actual problem may be with the information provided. First of all, the rifle model is missing, the caliber and twist rate are missing as well as the loading data. Did this happen suddenly or was it gradual? Over some 58 years of shooting I have only shot out two rifle barrels. Both were factory originals and yes, they started scattering right around 1000 rounds. One rifles was a Winchester, the other a Browning. Both were sporters, The Winchester was a 30-06 back in the early 70s. At the time I was shooting a lot of Metallic Silhouette and the misses, especially at the Pigs and Rams started to mount up making me suspicious. At the time I had a Redfield 4 x 12 on the rifle. Changed to a Bushnell 3 x 9 to see if it was the scope. While sighting the rifle back in it was noted that the groups, previously 0.75 MOA had opened up to 2.0 to 2.5 MOA. Checking the bore with a borescope only minor copper fouling was noted, the throat was burned out. This after light target loads using IMR 4320 and Nosler 168 gr match bullets. Not a combination known to burn out barrels. I checked with Winchester and at the time I was told that since this was a sporter barrel normally used for hunting that 1000 rounds was more than the barrel was designed for and should have lasted through several generations of hunters. I had the rifle rebarreled with a 26 inch Obermeyer super match barrel chambered for 7.62 NATO. That barrel shot 0.45 MOA from the first shot until I sold the rifle to another competitive shooter after around 5500 rounds. He finally shot the barrel out at 14000 rounds. (Boots Obermeyer, made some fantastic barrels before retiring.) The Browning was a 300 WM and it wasn't shot out, it was just a crappy barrel right from the factory. The first 10 rounds down the barrel were right at 1,0 MOA and everything went down hill from there. When I bore scoped the barrel it looked like a gold mine for its entire length. I attributed it to simply being a bit rough and needed more breaking in. After thoroughly removing the copper fouling back at the range ended up with the first 10 rounds again fouling out the barrel. The cleaning and shooting continued for 200 rounds with no appreciative increase in accuracy or issues with barrel fouling before I gave up. I ended up selling the rifle to a fellow competitor who wanted it for the action and stock only. He re-barrel with a Kreiger 300 WM barrel. It shot 0.75 MOA or less after re-barreling.

After all that, I doubt that your Brux barrel is shot out, but may be fouled out. Give it a bare metal cleaning and see what happens. Again if the issue started suddenly and you checked the torque on all the screws both the action screws and the scope mounts to include the rail and still no improvement, mount a different scope. If that cures your problem then it's time for a new scope. Over the years I have shot Redfield, Leoupold, Bushnell and Vortex scopes. All have failed somewhere along the way. In the case of Vortex the failure came in the form of the inexpensive Crossfire series, since moving up to the Diamondback and Strike Eagle I have had no problems. In the case of the failed scopes, tested by Vortex and found to be defective, they were immediately replaced or I was given the opportunity to upgrade by paying the difference in price between the old and new scope.

I have to make the assumption that this issue did not pop up its ugly head when trying out a new load. So if you are not shooting a known barrel burning cartridge and have done due vigilance with barrel cleaning the barrel back to bare metal and the problem persists, I would suspect a change in one of the reloading components. All lots of primers, powder and even bullets are not always identical.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

I have a custom rifle. I cannot get any traction creating a load for it. I either have a real bad load, bad scope or bad barrel.

It has shot 0.25" groups in the past, then I had a 3/4" load with Hornady ELD-X's of late, 2-3" is the norm now. I've tried 3-4 bullets, 3-4 powders, etc.

Ammo is loaded to a high accuracy level in terms of quality of components, accuracy of charge weight, accuracy of primer seating, seating depth, bullet runout. This is some of th3 best ammo i've made sd's are in the 7-12 range on several charges.

The load is not tuned, but who knows. I can't really tune it. Everything is bad. Barrel is a Brux….probably 1000 shots on it. Stock is tight. Scope screws are tight.

I'm stumped. I'm changing the scope just to see what I can see.

Thoughts?
When guys at the range are having issues I tell them to switch to a known good scope to test a new barrel and then to develop their load. Next make sure the action screws and scope mounts are tight. Once you get that stuff sorted out you can develop your load. 1000 rds could have shot out the barrel if it's a over bore cartridge like a stw or rum.

In the following order:

Clean. Check torque on action screws. Check barrel crown. This will eliminate those 3 variables quickly. Shoot again. If still not grouping change the scope. If still not grouping, then with a 1000 rounds down the tube I'd be carefully scoping the barrel. Sounds like the accuracy went away pretty fast so something changed quickly. All quality components so if it is a boomer cartridge I wouldn't be surprised if the barrels got an issue. Good luck and let us know the outcome!

A bore scope will answer some of your questions.They are not as expensive as they used to be.

Amazon Prime may have them for less money.
I second this! i didn't realize how cheap they had gotten. Once i purchased mine, i kicked myself in the butt for not getting one sooner. search "Teslong Rifle Borescope, Bore Camera Gun Cleaning Camera" on Amazon, it's $55 and actually works really well paired to a laptop or phone screen. I've already save my buddy hours of diag time... he thought the barrel was clean because patches were coming out clean. The borescope proved him wrong and with a little more elbow grease, it was back to shooting .5MOA.

The REMEDY is IGNORE! I'm not being ugly, but; this dude is trying to play us like a fiddle. I admire you passionate souls who have touched all the bases without the inquirer responding. Tongue in cheek: I hope he ends up with a German design that shot around 90 degree corners with 1/4 of his barrel life. Give us all something constructive to discuss?

have you cleaned it?
Yes, then checked with a bore scope. Basically, I use sharp-shoot-r and the accelerator. I run patches, then brush, then more solvent. I have tried to put a carbon cutter in the mix. It helps cut carbon quicker.

What type of cleaning do you do? Have you tried JB Bore Paste?
See above. I have JB's I don't use it much. I rarely have something I can see that needs this or Iosso. I find a brush and patch out + accel work generally.

Have a bore scope? Magnifying glass? Look for a ding on the crown. It doesn't take much of one. And excessive wear, firecracking etc. Is the barrel toast?
Yes, yes….no ding. Minor firecracking. Barrel could be toast, but how far gone are 2.5" groups….pretty far, I'd guess….like I missed it by 3000 rounds!

A scope swap would rule that part out.
That is my next step the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 3-15 coming off…Super Sniper 3-15x is on it. Torques were all fine.

Have you tried rechecking your distance to the lands?
It is setup the way CEB recommends with their bullets as a baseline.

After you change the scope out, might as well grab some factory loads, and see if shooting like a 3-5 rounds will group.
Who is factory loading the 300 Sherman? That is part of the issue, but the ammo measures precise and the sd's are not bad…..8-15 on 5 shots generally.

It sounds way too 'sudden' for the issue to be the barrel.
It is not sudden. I developed a decent load to fireform. Got 0.25" 3 shot groups regularly with match 190's discontinued Bergers. Then onto 178 ELD-X. Got pretty consistent 0.75" without much development. The next year's load development….several bullets, several powders, would seem ok, but never prove accurate. I'll bet I've shot 600 rounds or so chasing a load. Probably 800 or so down the pipe. Maybe more. Now this year, all I see are shotgun patterns.

Am I missing the cartridge and powder used?
300 Sherman…RL17, AA4350, N550

I would check to see if the front scope base screw was too long, where it was torqued down against the barrel threads.
Nope, it's good.

The REMEDY is IGNORE! I'm not being ugly, but; this dude is trying to play us like a fiddle. I admire you passionate souls who have touched all the bases without the inquirer responding. Tongue in cheek: I hope he ends up with a German design that shot around 90 degree corners with 1/4 of his barrel life. Give us all something constructive to discuss?
I'm not sure I get this…maybe I'm losing my sense of humor.

Winchester 70, pre-moa. Not trued. Brux barrel 10 twist, 300 Sherman, PTG bottom metal, Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 3-15

The more I talk, I'm talking myself into it being a scope issue. Testing this week, I hope.