Accurate not too heavy AR10 barrel?

Despotes

I have a Faxon Big Gunner barrel in .308 that's so far is producing 3"- 4" groups with 3 different factory loads. My previous shorter, but heavier Wilson Combat gave me <1.5" groups with 4 different factory loads.
Is there such a thing as an accurate, but not too heavy barrel? How light can I go w/o sacrificing accuracy?
This will be used as a hunting and occasional target rig.

This just under 3 pounds with a brake, It also has the matched bolt. I bought something similar pre covid. But I went for the 10 twist 20 inch ss match grade. I reload, and my ar-10 is full powered 308 NOT service rifle rounds. My most accurate is a 24 inch fluted ss match grade with a 11 degree target muzzle, but it's about 4.5 pounds.

Carbon fiber might be a direction to go. Proof makes some AR-10 barrels. BSF makes even lighter ones. I am sure there are other great options out there as well.

I have 2 PR barrels and 1 is cf (other is ss) in 6.5creed. The ss is a better barrel than their cf is. At least the 1 I have is and not much weight difference between the 2. I also have a BSF barrel in the same cartridge as the PR barrels and it is lighter at the same length as the PR. I won't but any more cf AR barrels as the hybrid hbar is a good choice. Flute it and even more weight is saved. I have 308win AR barrels from many different mfgs, profiles, lengths (no custom yet) and all have been good. Best 1 yet is a CBI m118 chambered 22" 11twist. Very good barrel!

I'm currently looking at a Criterion 18.5" Hybrid Match chamber stainless medium contour. 2.9lbs. Quality accurate barrel?

I'm currently looking at a Criterion 18.5" Hybrid Match chamber stainless medium contour. 2.9lbs. Quality accurate barrel?
Criterion bolt gun barrels are awesome, but I am seeing bad reports of the AR barrels. I've got a very accurate BA 308 barrel. Lighter profile. PM me if interested.

Int
I have a Faxon Big Gunner barrel in .308 that's so far is producing 3"- 4" groups with 3 different factory loads. My previous shorter, but heavier Wilson Combat gave me <1.5" groups with 4 different factory loads.
Is there such a thing as an accurate, but not too heavy barrel? How light can I go w/o sacrificing accuracy?
This will be used as a hunting and occasional target rig.
Interesting-- my 16" big gunner holds about 1.5moa with most factory loads, and 3/4-1 moa with my handloads

Are you sure it's your barrel that is causing the "inaccuracy"

When I spoke with faxon before buying-- I was looking for "ultralight parts"- but didn't want to sacrifice accuracy---

Their pencil barrel is 1.78 pounds
The big gunner is 1.91 pounds
And the match/heavy fluted is 2.1 pounds

The big gunner is only 2 oz more than the pencil but sounded more "stable" to me.

They told me the pencil profile would heat up/string quicker (at about 3 shots), vs the big gunner at around 5-6 shots-- I wasn't intetested in the hw

They say their pencil profile is fully stress relieved if that means anything to you.

Have you called them and asked them about your issue? Have you checked all your other components to make sure your problem is actually the barrel?

My complete rifle with optic came out at 5.8 lbs and it's plenty accurate for what I use it for.

I've had good luck with ballistic advantage barrels in other calibers

I bought the Faxon Match Series 18" fluted, 416-R SS nitride. It's about 2.2 Lb. barrel.
It shoots Winchester 7.62 x 51mm M80, 149gr. (cheap stuff) just under 1 MOA.

That's great to hear! Daggum internet! 😆
I have a 20" BA bull barrel on an Aero rig that I'd put against a 10K bolt gun anyday!
Either I'm the lucky 1 or just don't complain like the other do? PMC, PPU, Winchester and a couple more run thru both barrels with brass after ejection still looks good.