A MUST have for me on any hunt, and is always with me.

similar story. I went it for pre surgical testing. EKG showed normal but surgeon insisted i see a cardiologist because of the nature of my up coming surgery. So nuclear stress test showed I had an 85% blockage. I was probably 3 cheese steaks away from the big one.
any way, cath and 3 stents later and I'm still here.
Glad it worked out and you are still around. Be aware of diabetes, it goes hand in hand with most of the issues being discussed here. Meds can be $$$$. Even with insurance at the first of the year I'm looking at 1200 dollars for just 2 meds. After meeting deductibles it will go back to 300 a month. Januvia and Invokana. As the old saying goes, " An ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure".

Thanks old rooster, I was never informed of the blood test results.
Shame on them.
It would be nice if all the information relating to a visit and testing, were given to the patient so that they may form a continuous medical record of test and visits. They don't want you to have that information as it may come back to bite them in the ***. They want all your information to include SS#'s, which often gets hacked and there goes your privacy! I get copies of all my test results now to keep on file. The notes they offer to you are nothing more than name, number, meds, history, but nothing to do with physician notes relating to your discussion. I worked for the medical field for 35years and I am disgusted with the "system" as it is setup to protect them and not the patient. Sorry for the vent! 😂

Glad it worked out and you are still around. Be aware of diabetes, it goes hand in hand with most of the issues being discussed here. Meds can be $$$$. Even with insurance at the first of the year I'm looking at 1200 dollars for just 2 meds. After meeting deductibles it will go back to 300 a month. Januvia and Invokana. As the old saying goes, " An ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure".
All of us retired people are getting screwed on drugs this next year! Some have gone up 10X even! Thanks to our lovely leftist health care concerns and plans, we are all screwed!

I went out deer hunting late October 2005. Hiked to a ground blind that I had set up about a mile off the road on my son in laws property. Got to the ground blind and I had a sideache and was all out of breath. Thought that I really need to get back in shape. Hunted until sundown and headed back to the truck. Took it easy going back. Got in the truck,checked in with my daughter and headed home. About a mile from home I felt so sick that I stopped to puke. It passed and I went home.

When I walked in the house my wife (she worked at a nursing home) took 1 look at me and said "you're going to the ER" , I said I'm fine,I just need to go to bed. She literally dragged me to the car and headed to the ER. 6 minutes after arriving I was on the operating table getting a Stent put in. The DR told me if I would have gone to bed I wouldn't have woke up the next day.

All of us retired people are getting screwed on drugs this next year! Some have gone up 10X even! Thanks to our lovely leftist health care concerns and plans, we are all screwed!
I heard the same thing and I'm on a boat load of meds.
I think they want us older ones to go ahead and die and get it off their books.At least that is what it seems like to me.

That would explain the notification I just received from my insurance provider, they are no longer covering a drug. Can you elaborate on what is going on with the insurance companies?

I admit I didn`t read this entire thread, so it may have been stated already. " You can pick your friends, but you can`t pick your family ". Any familial history?

I went out deer hunting late October 2005. Hiked to a ground blind that I had set up about a mile off the road on my son in laws property. Got to the ground blind and I had a sideache and was all out of breath. Thought that I really need to get back in shape. Hunted until sundown and headed back to the truck. Took it easy going back. Got in the truck,checked in with my daughter and headed home. About a mile from home I felt so sick that I stopped to puke. It passed and I went home.

When I walked in the house my wife (she worked at a nursing home) took 1 look at me and said "you're going to the ER" , I said I'm fine,I just need to go to bed. She literally dragged me to the car and headed to the ER. 6 minutes after arriving I was on the operating table getting a Stent put in. The DR told me if I would have gone to bed I wouldn't have woke up the next day.
Thank God you had a wife that knew her stuff!Glad you went and got the stent.
All my family that smokes has had at the very least 1 heart attack and at least 2 stents.The rest has had bypass surgery and one was told,"We can't put anymore stents in you"He can't breathe if he walks 20 steps so he will die a death struggling to get the last breath that did not come.
If any here smoke STOP please,for you and your family's sake.

My wife smoked when we met. I had given it up many years prior. When we got engaged, we agreed that neither of us would smoke again so that we could raise our children in a smoke-free environment. It wasn't easy for my wife to quit but she managed. In the end, we both enjoy reasonably good health for our age and neither of my daughters ever smoked. They now raise their kids (my grandsons) in smoke-free homes.

The habit can be broken for generations, and you won't have to watch the elders suffer through smoke related diseases.

Last edited:
God bless you and your wife Varmint Hunter.You both have a much better chance to live a long healthy life.
When my mom quit in the early 1960's she cussed us all and we got called names we still don't know it is!Beat us too but we gladly took the beatings to see her smoke free.She died February 21,2019 at 86 years old.
Dad died at age 56 from lung cancer.He was in the tail end of world war ll and all of the Korean war.He did things and saw stuff that made him cry when drinking.Wish he were still around.

I admit I didn`t read this entire thread, so it may have been stated already. " You can pick your friends, but you can`t pick your family ". Any familial history?
A little as far as diabetic on my dad's side but most of my problems stem from being shot at close range with a shotgun in right lower flank. Never smoked, very little drinking, ( that was when young). 18 doctors on me and all told me if I hadn't been in the top physical shape I was in, I would not have made it. After the shooting any drinking etc. went out the window if I wanted to be around for any length of time. I always took care of myself. Even went back to work a couple years later as a city officer in a small town. After some rough engagements and health not holding up, retired and disabled. All the damage is catching up now. Getting old.

I was put on Ozempic in 2022 for diabetes and weight loss and it works great!Lost weight and my blood sugar is super my doctor says.Almost always below 100,the worst I have seen it in over 1 year was 127.
Ozempic is expensive but in Montana we have an advocate at the hospital that applied to the maker for FREE Ozempic and I got accepted!
I still have to re-apply every year but that stuff costs 1100.00 per month (and going up for 2024) if I had to buy it,insurance pay's for a part of it but first month it cost me almost 400.00 then free after that.
Kentuckywindage is right,Diabetes is a game changer and needs to be controlled.My sister had a stroke from letting her blood sugar get too high.
All take care as you will never know how many people depend on your being active on this forum to stay sane and happy!

Last edited: