A MUST have for me on any hunt, and is always with me.

We have all had our share of giving in one form or another I suppose. This science teacher was one of those folks all liked. Super nice guy.
I mention these incidents from my life for others knowledge and encouragement. Don't have a tourniquet use pressure point. Great hurt seriously,(my case shot) or heart attack, (from experience), don't go into shock. Stay calm and breath. Most who've experienced these kinds of things just don't talk about it. I understand that also and respect it.

Taking your shirt off and using it works well to.
During a mountain bike race a rider took a bad spill, and sliced his arm open badly. I took my shirt off and used it, and we got him to medical care without bleeding out.
Not sterile, but nobody is going to care about a little infection, over death.

My brother in law is on Warfarin as he had a widow maker and lived.
We plan things and hope to go on but sometimes our plans don't happen.So sorry PNDdude67.
You're right about life my friend,a gift indeed.
Yep, surviving that is a gift. I am grateful to be here as well. Not many convert from STEMI in the ER apparently.

I thought I was well prepared for survival and emergencies. Carry almost everything that has been discussed in this thread. Overlooked the baby aspirin. I appreciate the insights and have fixed that now. Interesting how even though highly trained in first aid, CPR, field trauma, etc somehow I overlooked the aspirin. Thanks

I thought I was well prepared for survival and emergencies. Carry almost everything that has been discussed in this thread. Overlooked the baby aspirin. I appreciate the insights and have fixed that now. Interesting how even though highly trained in first aid, CPR, field trauma, etc somehow I overlooked the aspirin. Thanks
I am very interested in becoming more knowledgeable on first aid/cpr and such,how would I go about getting such information?
I am an older guy but could help if an emergency happens but don't know a lot right now.

For CPR training, contact your local Red Cross. They offer classes that may help you save a life. The classes are easy and low or no cost. I see you are in Montana and usually the classes are near a metro area. In some cases, the fire department sponsors them also. Lastly, most police departments have an emergency services coordinator that can give guidance on classes. Hope that helps.Over my lifetime I had first aid classs I. The Boy
Scouts, The Marines, and civilian classes from the Red Cross. I might add that the Red Cross classes were way more basic than the others.
Probably a good starting point. Unfortunately, have had occasion to use what I was trained in.

There are several firms out there teaching Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness EMT, and more. A friend had to take the First Aid class, and take a refresher every year, in order to be able to be wilderness skills instructor with the organization that she worked with.

Going way back to the first page, the "Calcium Score" for detecting blockage was mentioned. Some further reading on that topic: https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/heart-scan/about/pac-20384686

Not sure if this is more a local thing, or somewhat wide spread.
But around here volunteer fire departments do a CPR class a couple times per year, and allow outsiders to attend, as well as their own members.
I volunteer with 3 fire departments teaching their CPR courses is how I know.
Maybe give them a call in your area.

Thought that I'd run a simple search to see what I could find on the topic of Wilderness First Aid and got many hits, but from just a couple pages.

No experience with any of these organizations.

ER'S get so many people that think they are having a heart attack and they are not that it makes them complacent to the real deal!
I was recently diagnosed with A-Fib and was told to carry Bayer Aspirin with me,I should ask my doctor if baby aspirin or full grown aspirin.
Scary stuff bro,glad the outcome was positi
Docs don't prescribe nitro unless you have known coronary artery disease. And my understanding is that a bottle is only good for 6 months. Then it is expired.

similar story. I went it for pre surgical testing. EKG showed normal but surgeon insisted i see a cardiologist because of the nature of my up coming surgery. So nuclear stress test showed I had an 85% blockage. I was probably 3 cheese steaks away from the big one.
any way, cath and 3 stents later and I'm still here.

Last edited:

Recent Posts