940 yard practice session

Ian M

A friend and I shot out to 940 yards today in fairly strong wind. Bottom line, I would not like to have been the target at 940 yards. I used the Nightforce ballistics program and it was bang-on for my Lapua. We also shot a couple of .308's all the way out to 940 and they hit with nice regularity but they did not have near the smack that the 250 Matchkings delivered. Good fun in the wind and bright sun.

Len,
I am very fortunate to get to shoot a lot and with a many different rifles and cartridges. I keep barrel logs on most of the rifles and get into sessions on writer-trips that involve a LOT of shooting. Some years it is well over 10,000 rounds of centerfire, some years it would be around 7,000. Problem is I have to do that in about one half a year since we have such long winters that shut me down. I am about to do a 1000 round field test on a new rifle, opportunities like that burn up a lot of ammo. Thank heavens for progressive presses.
Fact is I enjoy spotting for other guys and calling wind at long range almost as much as being on the trigger. **** wind owns us, doesn't it. Had some nasty wind yesterday but I just started each distance at the windage from the Nightforce program and it was VERY good. Hate to say this but it beat my estimates a couple of times.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.