Video - 2751 yard practice with the new Defensive Edge LRKM Rifle

Where does one find a range finder that can range out to 3,000 yards like that, and what does it cost?

Where does one find a range finder that can range out to 3,000 yards like that, and what does it cost?

Vecronix PLRF10. It will hit out to 2999 yards with ease. Uses a very strong laser and the smallest Beam divergence I know of. They sell for $3750 or so.

Jeff

That is wicked awesome! Im really impressed.
Makes me want to get out to the range right now!

Pretty cool shot! only thing I would have added to the video is after you shot while waiting for impact I would have said WAIT FOR IT......WAIT FOR IT....:D

I would love to go out and see a cold bore, first shot, dead on impact at that range. Still impressive to see stuff on film too but real life is well, much more intriguing. Still a nice film clip though. Good work.

First round hits are difficult, but not impossible. Even in the best of conditions a first rounder is something to be enjoyed. 2nd round hits are pretty common as long as the conditions don't change, as are reasonable groups. Glad you liked the clip.

Wow my heart is still pounding!! Awesome shootin that's for sure, really like that rig.

On the same note... has anyone read the article "TESTING THE WORLD-RECORD" in the latest issue of Rifle Firepower?? I would recommend it, not to spoil anything but the shooter lands 3 out of 7 shots on a life-sized human silhouette at 2700 yards.

Man my hat's off to you guys!

Shawn, top notch in my book, I have watched the video at least 6 or 7 times, Can you tell me what the difference is between the edge and the edge +p ? Also, noticing the break, it looks different from the ones that you sell on your site, I see the one you shot is left handed, do you sell left hand in the new version of rifles that you sell? Thanks, Ron Tilley

Ron,

The only difference is the patented throating design, it reduces peak chamber pressure enoguh to use more / different powders. We produce the LRKM in both RH & LH.

Shawn,

Would your secret patented modification to the "normal" 338 Edge chamber be nothing more than possibly introducing a bit of Weatherby free bore to lower initial pressures spikes to allow some more powder to be loaded over the load used in the standard 338 Edge case.
This would certainly have contributed in achieving an estimated increase of possibly around 75 to 100 fps over the standard 2900 fps max loads you previously achieved in standard 338 Edge in a 30" barrel.
No doubt another 4 inches of barrel length now at 34" over the standard 30" barrel would have provided another increase of say 4" x 35 fps increase per inch which would result in another 140 fps.
If case design has not altered in size and volume as you imply; then may I kindly ask "are you still running the same loads or have you increased the load since you have some freebore to play with to lower pressure spikes for an increase in powder".
How much more powder do you now load with?
Also are you still loading with H-1000 or have you moved onto say a slower burning powder such as Retumbo or a double based powder such as RE25 or the new "unavailable" secret Hornady double based powder, both of which are known to bring on noticeable increases in velocity of around another 100 fps..
Also which brand of chronograph was used that recorded these speeds and the E.S. of those loads.

Sounds like a great rifle build and certainly might have to order one of these going by the results published and seen in your video.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

TT

No, it is not simply freebore like Roy did years ago, we are running the bullet .005" off the lands. The reduction in pressure allows the use of other powders other than h1000. But when using H1000 we run an extra 6-8 grains over the standard 90 gr load gaining about 125-150 fps. The use of other powders gains about another 75-100 fps. Longer barrels do not get 35 fps per inch, they run about 18-20 fps per inch. So if you use a 34" tube , VV N570, and the +P chambering you should be in the 3100 fps or more range. In the video clip we were running almost 3100 fps (3070 fps ) with a 32" Kreiger (because Hart only builds a 30"). The standard LRKM package in 338 Edge +P, N570, 30" barrel etc, runs really well in the 3000-3050 range.

Interesting quotes from another forum on this.

[Quote Ridge Rider]
"Sorry Jeff, I understand your enthusiasm and loyalty to Shawn however I know pretty well what Shawn needed to do to achieve that magnificent performance;"

"I wouldn't be surprised if Shaun has merely duplicated what Uncle Roy has already done with the 338/378 and all other Weatherby calibres by introducing a bit of "free bore" into his 338Edge to achieve some extra speed.
I believe the 338Edge case dimensions are still the same so that the same 338 Edge cartridge can still be chambered/head spaced and safely shot in this new chamber modification.
For that to happen what Shaun has done to is add something like around 100 to 120 thou' free bore and increase or open up the bore of that section of the free bore by around 1 to 1.5 thou to allow more powder in the case and thus effectively lower the pressure with this modification.
This has already been done with in the 257 Weatherby +P."
[unquote]

RR, I am confused as to why you are asking? You, on another forum , already set me straight, and told me you already know that it is simply more free bore just like Weatherby did years ago. (as per your copied and pasted quotes above)

"With due respect and kindest regards"

Jeff

Interesting quotes from another forum on this.

[Quote Ridge Rider]
"Sorry Jeff, I understand your enthusiasm and loyalty to Shawn however I know pretty well what Shawn needed to do to achieve that magnificent performance;"

"I wouldn't be surprised if Shaun has merely duplicated what Uncle Roy has already done with the 338/378 and all other Weatherby calibres by introducing a bit of "free bore" into his 338Edge to achieve some extra speed.
I believe the 338Edge case dimensions are still the same so that the same 338 Edge cartridge can still be chambered/head spaced and safely shot in this new chamber modification.
For that to happen what Shaun has done to is add something like around 100 to 120 thou' free bore and increase or open up the bore of that section of the free bore by around 1 to 1.5 thou to allow more powder in the case and thus effectively lower the pressure with this modification.
This has already been done with in the 257 Weatherby +P."
[unquote]

RR, I am confused as to why you are asking? You, on another forum , already set me straight, and told me you already know that it is simply more free bore just like Weatherby did years ago. (as per your copied and pasted quotes above)

"With due respect and kindest regards"

Jeff

Please allow me to clarify the confusion.

First of all I was responding to your comments on another forum when I made that comment on Weatherby freebore.

In this forum I am responding / asking Shawn as it is his post and making the same assertion on Weatherby freebore. I see nothing wrong in this, and so I see no problem.

And so I got it wrong; anyway let's not get involved in slinging off at each other.

I merely wanted an answer straight from the horse's mouth so to speak and Shawn kindly did just that. Thank you Shawn.

I will now retract my earlier comments on stating "adding some Weatherby freebore" as it now makes me think along the lines that it appears that throat angles could have been modified and this would definitely have smoothed things up a bit, so to speak.

"with all due respect and kindest regards"

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.