7prc

The 7 PRC appeals to me as an option to get out of reloading for my 7 SAUM.

Honestly, the average hunter has no clue what their rifle is capable of. The marketing for this cartridge will have every weekend warrior drooling over it in no time.

I remember when the 6.5 CM hit the shelves and so many people I know were telling me how flat shooting it was and how it was a 1000 yard elk rifle.

What's funny Is the 7prc is marketed as spanking the 7 RM, but Peterson and ADG brass have a capacity that's only 4-5 grains more than the SAUM.
I love innovation but have no use for over hyped redundancy.

Well I didn't own a 7RM or a 7SAUM already, so the PRC was on a wish list and I had nothing to compare it to. so a 180gn + bullet traveling over 3000fps made good sense to me. And based on the performance of the 6.5PRC and 300PRC seemed like a good choice, and it was!

I think the hype hurt the 7 prc as much as it helps it. But in spite of the hype and bs it is a great cartridge that fill s niche and will be successful. I have Friends that dish it out and see the ribbing that 6.5 creedmoor shooter/owner take. I bought/and built a creedmoor when ammo was cheap and available and because it has good specs/design. I will build a 7prc. Will the 7prc replace my 300 rum, 28 nosler or anything else, I don't think so. But for now the ammo is cheaper, show up more often and will most likely have more choices and better components available than most cartridges. Oh yeah and I am going to neck the case down to 6.5 and shoot the heavies at an easy 3150 to 3225 fps. SMILE

I picked up 100rds of the factory ammo to get started… im thinking I can get 3 or 4 loads out of them, until brass is available…lets hope
I don't think I'm going to get 3.
My barrel is a 24" proof 1-8.4 and the 180 factory was 2880 fps and 175 factory 2830 fps so barrel is definitely slower.
I'm loading 175 elites at 2925 fps with 66.5gr RL26. No pressure signs but the primer pockets are so loose I may not get 3 loading.
I pullled a entire box of the 175 factory a used my load.
I knocked out one of the primers and they look like 215 primer to me. I seated primer again and there very little resistance seating it on the unfired brass. It's some of the worst brass I've used to date.
Some of the brass I loaded the other night will be 3rd firing and I had to look to make sure I pushed a primer in because there was zero resistance.
I will shoot them and see what happens.

Last edited:
That brass is harder to find than an 8lb jug of RE26. LMAO
🤣
It wasn't cheap !!
Cost me one kidney and my left nut but that's okay I hate everything on the left anyways.

Attachments

• C4E5A3CF-DED4-486A-BC4D-788B626AA2D9.jpeg
    C4E5A3CF-DED4-486A-BC4D-788B626AA2D9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I don't think you will get to or over 3000fps without a 26" or longer barrel.
Unless you're running Max Pressure. IMO.
From what I've seen it's about 50-75 over the Saum, but that comes with 3-4 grains of powder.

One guy on a thread yesterday said "I need to change the batteries in my chrono, it was reading low." 😂

Recent Posts