7mm WSM Seems to becoming obsolete ?

rcol317

I'm looking at a 7 mm WSM and it seems to be loosing it's following. I've spoken with several smiths and they've all said that they haven't chambered one for a while. I shoot a 280 AI and and love it. I'm aware the performance of the 7 WSM is only slightly better burning 8-10 gr. more powder but I'm curious what the negative is of the WSM and why guys aren't building them anymore? I'm afraid I may be disappointed if I buy one after I start shooting it.

no one is buying them because there are currently no factory rifles offered in them--but I see that barrel manu's still offer the chambering, and many "high end customs" have that chambering as an option --still a decent amount of factory ammo options out there for 7 wsm--no so much for 7 saum though---except for the 7 rm and maybe the 7-08, most 7mm cartridges haven't caught on big in the US--the 280AI seems to be coming back in mountain rifles
I'm actually surprised the 7wsm hasn't made a come-back with all the "super light mountain rifles" that are popular right now, and its a short action round --those 2 seem to go hand in hand.

It's a great round and the ballistics prove it. The only thing that sucks is the lack of off the shelf offerings for new rifles. Luckily you can still find brass and ammo. I would say that the next manufacturer that offers more good 7WSMs, is going to make some nice sales. I have a model 70 Shadow and would like to find a stainless Coyote or other.

I've had elk in my freezer that were disappointed after I got my 7WSM.

If you like the short actions, the 7 WSM is hard to beat, If you like long actions The 280 AI is hard to beat. Both will produce 7 Mag performance.

With all of the designer cartridges being the latest craze there are lots of great cartridges that are not popular at the moment. Of all the WSMs the 7mm is the top performer with the 270 WSM not far behind.

I have built and worked on all of the WSMs and the only downside that I have found is poor quality factory barrels and feeding issues. This can be easily solved with a center feed mag box and a premium quality barrel If the factory one is no good.

Like most of the short magnums, accuracy comes easy if you reload. I sometimes use the Winchester silver tip if I buy ammo and it is very accurate for Factory ammo.

People that have the 7 WSM and the 270 wsm know the value of these cartridges and don't get caught up in all the hype. A good cartridge, will always be a good cartridge no matter what the trend is.

J E CUSTOM

Not absolutely sure, but I think, the SHORT "Neck" ( Throat Burner ), is a turn off ! And the 7mm WSM, is NOT supported by, "mainstream" Handloader's for, THIS reason !
The Canadian's are playing with the 7mm-270 WSM for 1,000 yard Targets,.. You might look at that one ! Personally think that, the .270 WSM with, 140-150's at 3,150-3,200 FPS,.. gets IT,.. "done" ! Remington should have "supported" the 7 SAUM, better,.. it's another, "good one". SADLY, Remington is now run, by a Board room full of Executives who know NOTHING about, what "works" or what Shooters, WANT !

Last edited:
Not absolutely sure, but I think, the SHORT "Neck" ( Throat Burner ), is a turn off ! And the 7mm WSM, is NOT supported by, "mainstream" Handloader's for, THIS reason !
The Canadian's are playing with the 7mm-270 WSM for 1,000 yard Targets,.. You might look at that one ! Personally think that, the .270 WSM with, 140-150 at 3,150-3,200 FPS,.. gets IT,.. "done" ! Remington should have "supported" the 7 SAUM, better,.. it's another, "good one".
I built a 7-300 WSM last year, same thing as a 7-270WSM, the only reason I went that route over the 7 WSM was brass. 270 WSM brass is everywhere, I neck it up with a .284 expander mandrel.
I get 3000 FPS in a 26" barrel with 180's loaded long, accuracy and ease of tuning is fantastic with WSM cases.
Now that Bertram makes 7 WSM brass I wish I'd just gone that route, no screwing around with case forming or custom dies, and should easily be able to shoot 180's 3050 or faster.
I really hope it makes a resurgence, way to good of a round to keep secret..

someone said there are rumors of Peterson making brass for it in 2019--I asked ADG about it and they said they had no immediate plans for it--i just bought some Bertram for mine and just starting reloading for it--it shows good potential, and the win 70 magazine box is long enough so I have been able to touch lands with every bullet I have checked so far

Thanks for the input, looks like the only negative is brass and and fad interest. The rifle I'm looking at is a custom rifle and the A/I mags seem to feed fine. I'm not worried about brass so I think I'll move forward. What's the reasonable barrel life expectancy if you don't get the barrel hot but allow it to cool? 1200-1500 rounds?

Federal Fusion makes a 150gn 7WSM round that, for the price, will beat most brass costs. The accuracy is also very good thru my Winchester.

Thanks for the input, looks like the only negative is brass and and fad interest. The rifle I'm looking at is a custom rifle and the A/I mags seem to feed fine. I'm not worried about brass so I think I'll move forward. What's the reasonable barrel life expectancy if you don't get the barrel hot but allow it to cool? 1200-1500 rounds?

Velocity and heat are the real culprits to poor barrel life and with some care and thought barrel life can be 3000 + rounds

Mine has 2500+ rounds and i see no signs of accuracy loss. It still shoots sub 1/2 MOA. The short neck mentioned is of no concern to me because of proper reloading an bullet seating.

J E CUSTOM

Could be, as low as, 800-900 Rounds of "long range", accuracy. When I was a "kid" and knew nothing about "Twist" rate, I burned out a .270 Weatherby Mag in about that "range" trying to find the heaviest bullet, it would "shoot" accurately and playing around at, Target's. Hope you have, better luck and a better Steel Barrel than, I did !