7mm STW Reloading Thread

Well I finally did some reloading last night. Got the bench ready and tumbled the brass for the STWs. On the 4th case, got stuck in the die. Can't get it out. Broke a couple things trying to get it out so I gave up. No I don't have a stuck case remover. So I went and bought a 1/2 inch drill and tap and bolt today so I could use physics to pull the case. Well the bolt broke off in the case that I tapped to use the bolt to pull the case. Ain't that a kick in the pants. So now I ruined the die, broke the expander and primer punch. I have to buy some new dies it seems. I'm going to see if forester can send me the expander and all that set up to help.
So I'm sure that it's in the 600+ pages but anyone have a load for retumbo? H1000?
4350 or rl22 and 26?

Gonna use Berger 180s.
Thanks Guys. Keep shooting straight.

By the way I'm loading because I got drawn in South Texas for deer on the wildlife refuge. However, this also means I get unlimited Nilgai and pigs. So needless to say, I may be taking the STW to try and drop a couple Nilgai on those days. gun)
Make sure to properly lube your brass.

My best loaf with the 180 VLD was with Retumbo at 75 grains.

Well I finally did some reloading last night. Got the bench ready and tumbled the brass for the STWs. On the 4th case, got stuck in the die. Can't get it out. Broke a couple things trying to get it out so I gave up. No I don't have a stuck case remover. So I went and bought a 1/2 inch drill and tap and bolt today so I could use physics to pull the case. Well the bolt broke off in the case that I tapped to use the bolt to pull the case. Ain't that a kick in the pants. So now I ruined the die, broke the expander and primer punch. I have to buy some new dies it seems. I'm going to see if forester can send me the expander and all that set up to help.
So I'm sure that it's in the 600+ pages but anyone have a load for retumbo? H1000?
4350 or rl22 and 26?

Gonna use Berger 180s.
Thanks Guys. Keep shooting straight.

By the way I'm loading because I got drawn in South Texas for deer on the wildlife refuge. However, this also means I get unlimited Nilgai and pigs. So needless to say, I may be taking the STW to try and drop a couple Nilgai on those days. gun)
Two redneck ways to remove a stuck case.

1 channel locks on the base, hammer applied in downward fashion.

2 pull the depriming rod out and get a long punch narrow enough to to through the neck and contact the base.

3 fill it with water and hammer a piece of wood dowel that fits pretty tight into it and let physics knock it out.

Wanting LOAD info on 175 gr Hornady ELD-x bullet. Package says twist rate 1-8.5 Nice BAL COEF G1 .675 G7 .340 What does the brotherhood reccomned I have the following choicesn RL25,H1000, 7977, Retumbo,7828 and RL50 Suggestions based on experience is welcomed.

Seating depth??

Thanks in advance
ODAVID

Re Wanting LOAD info on 175 gr Hornady ELD-x bullet

Wanting LOAD info on 175 gr Hornady ELD-x bullet. I have the sendero 9.25 twist Package says twist rate 1-8.5 Nice BAL COEF G1 .675 G7 .340 What does the brotherhood reccomned I have the following choices RL25,H1000, 7977, Retumbo,7828 and RL50 Suggestions based on experience is welcomed.

Seating depth??

Thanks in advance
ODAVID

Take Mr Bean's advice and use H1000 and start with 76.0gr. I've had one hell of a time finding a good load with this bullet. Blew thru and entire box with nothing to show for it. I usually use Mr Bean's "magic" OAL of 3.625, but it just wasn't working with this projectile. I finally did a bullet seating depth test and used Berger's protocol. Well, I finally got a winner. 3.640" OAL gave me a ragged 6 shot hole (with 76.0 gr H1000). Went to the range today to do a little load development. Found a nice accuracy node at 77.0gr and then the wind started being a problem. I think I have another accuracy node at 79.5 gr but will have to try it again when the wind isn't gusting like today. It gave a good horizontal string. If that doesn't pan out, I know 76.0gr is money and I'll try a little above and below 77.0gr to see what I get.
Good Luck

Well, if i had some I'd give it a try but I have no Retumbo, just H-1000 RL23, 25, 26 and 33. Loading 162g ELD-X with 78gr of RL26 Right now. Will load up last 12 of the Peregrine 150's tomorrow, probably with the same charge.

If you guys have not tried H570, you should really give it a run. I gave me more speed with less pressure then Retumbo, especially with the heavies.

jjw
ND

Recent Posts