7mm STW Reloading Thread

I use the Redding FL comp/Match Die set. You basically FL size the body, bump the shoulder, and bushing size the neck at the same time and you get the competition seating die. Really not a whole lot of sense separating the body sizing from the neck sizing with an STW. If you're loading them on the upper end, you won't get more than 2 firings before the shoulder needs to be set back or you'll start feeling it get tight closing the bolt on the 3rd firing which wears on the bolt lugs and preloads the action in a way that can degrade accuracy. I think the competition 2 die set is the way to go. I get less than .002" runout on all my rounds and I load them long (.050" off the lands) because I have a 4" magazine. Makes every firing the exact same for better consistency.

I use the Forster Ultra 2-Die Set for my twin Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs.

I consistently shoot .25" - .33" three shots groups at 100 yards - 300 yards.

I like lee for most of my reloading, but my stw dies are rcbs fl sizing die and a redding competition seating die. Seems to work

I had some lee dies that would not make a round with less than .006" runout. I now have the redding competition bushing die set. All rounds are .001" less runout.I am still experimenting with bumping the shoulder or just neck sizing. recent tests suggest that bumping the shoulder results in tighter groups for my rifle. I still have more testing to do to verify. Anybody else have opinions on sizing?

I hear ya Rosie .....hope all is well your way Brother
Doing pretty well Brother Beans. Saturday marks one year from the arm breaking and my last surgery was in October. It's all been down hill since!

Deer season is over so the "Beast" is getting a break for a few months. If it's not the best shooting rifle I own it's no worse than tied for first. I put more game in the freezer in one season with it than I ever have with any other single rifle. That says a lot for it and every shot was a one shot kill with most being at or over 400yds. The latter speaks volumes.

Thanks again.

Doing pretty well Brother Beans. Saturday marks one year from the arm breaking and my last surgery was in October. It's all been down hill since!

Deer season is over so the "Beast" is getting a break for a few months. If it's not the best shooting rifle I own it's no worse than tied for first. I put more game in the freezer in one season with it than I ever have with any other single rifle. That says a lot for it and every shot was a one shot kill with most being at or over 400yds. The latter speaks volumes.

Thanks again.
Im just glad you have it and Im glad its working out for you...... it was one of my favorites and calling it The Beast suits it well and Im glad your healed up

Big thanks to ButterBean who's been helping me get back on track. Been a long time since I left the range feeling like I accomplished something. I couldn't see the dot past my crosshairs so it might actually be shooting better than it printed.

Thanks BB, much appreciated.

IMG_0835Medium_zpse143b71a.jpg

Wapiti Bob,
Could you tell me how far you are from the lands with your 3.640" OAL? I've been trying to work up a good load for the 140 TSX with RL-22 & IMR 7828 SSC with only fair results. I just got my hands on some RL-25 & H1000 today and want to set up some test loads. I've been seating them .05" off the lands. I've had great results with that distance from the lands using the 150gr TTSX. Thanks for your help in advance

Doug

Yea, gimme a day. I didn't bother with that measurement. I just did exactly what ButterBean told me to do. I'll stick a bullet in a case and check.

Took the wife to the range a cpl weeks ago and told her to "send two down to that plate with the red dot on it", 700 yards. The one out of the group is mine.

IMG_0860%20Small_zpsrtkyovlb.jpg