7mm STW Reloading Thread

Anyone ran Cutting Edge bullets in their STW? I'm going to order some 160 MTH and was wondering where to start with them. I haven't been able to find a lot of hand loading information on them besides seating depth.

I just loaded some h870 up with 175 gr sierra game kings 83.1 grs hoping to get at 2800 book says 3000 fps we will see

I don't even bother accuracy testing with lesser charges anymore with heavies in the 7stw and 50 bmg type ball powders... I go straight up to 86 grains (after pressure checking at lower charges, of course). I do like the stick powders better, though. We just ran a test of the 180 sierra in my pop's 7stw last weekend and it ran poorly accuracy wise with 8700 and the bullet. I wish I had some 5010 or rl50 under it; it would have likely fared much better... We may have to do that in the next few weeks, but my 7rum likes the 180 with retumbo so l.d. may be over with that bullet.

I load by the book but I've never under stood why people hot rod there bullets and then complain when they burn the throat out. If you want speed load a lighter bullets.

It's more about powder burn and actually getting to pressure than hot rodding in this case. Those super slow powders burn very dirty unless you get a bit of pressure on them; even then they aren't that great. I got 1400 rounds out of my last 7stw and she was still shooting though the throat was getting a bit tired. I've got 1500 rounds on my 300win and she still looks good inside. I don't have a problem with burning throats or hot rodding.

Last edited:
Do any of you guys have about 30 pieces of STW brass you would sell or KNOW of anyone or anyplace that has some available?

If so, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

James

Cabelas and midway had the nosler brass in stock a couple days ago, I know the price blows but it's good brass. Or if you're so inclined you could buy a couple boxes of their loaded ammo for damned near the same price and have some fun emptying it.

I tried to find some pet load here last night to no avail. Retumbo and 180 bergers is what I was looking for. The problem is my oal for the gun is so much longer than my mag box. I know butter bean says they like a jump so I'm gonna try it. Just thought I'd see if anyone has a retumbo load that I can start at and move up.

Thanks.

Mario

I tried to find some pet load here last night to no avail. Retumbo and 180 bergers is what I was looking for. The problem is my oal for the gun is so much longer than my mag box. I know butter bean says they like a jump so I'm gonna try it. Just thought I'd see if anyone has a retumbo load that I can start at and move up.

Thanks.

Mario
. 74.5 gr of retumbo @ 3.625 ..... Look for numbers in the 2900s

Who makes the best dies for the STW. I have been running the Hornady dies for a while now and find them to be really finiky. Any help is appreciated.