7mm STW Reloading Thread

Hi i'm new to the site and was curious if anybody has some good loads and data for 160 grain bullets . right now i'm using double taps which are nosler accubond with ballistics of 3305fps -3882 ft/lbs 26.0 " bbl Rem 700. granted i'm shooting a winchester model 70. Double tap is out of stock and i purchased the new burris eliminator 3 and need to get a good load before elk hunting in a few weeks

Hi i'm new to the site and was curious if anybody has some good loads and data for 160 grain bullets . right now i'm using double taps which are nosler accubond with ballistics of 3305fps -3882 ft/lbs 26.0 " bbl Rem 700. granted i'm shooting a winchester model 70. Double tap is out of stock and i purchased the new burris eliminator 3 and need to get a good load before elk hunting in a few weeks
I have been running 81.5 GRNS. of H1000 in my custom 7 stw with the 160 accubond Lr. Has dropped several elk DRT. Might start a bit lower as that is fairly hot in mine but a super accurate load for it

I have been running 81.5 GRNS. of H1000 in my custom 7 stw with the 160 accubond Lr. Has dropped several elk DRT. Might start a bit lower as that is fairly hot in mine but a super accurate load for it

Do you have any data on that load?

I shot a ladder today with R26 and 143 Grain Hammer Hunter bullets. Loaded mag length, using Federal 215 primers. Gradous 7Stw, 1:9.5 twist Krieger, 28" barrel.

Weather 80 degrees - 90 percent humidity - 30 feet above sea level.

I started at 76 grains and had pretty heavy ejector mark on brass at 82 grains. Still no sign of pressure in bolt lift, but I stopped there, and will pull the bullets that I loaded with higher charges.

My Labradar missed a number of shots, which it doesn't normally do. I don't know if it was due to the all copper bullets, the speed, the drizzly rain, or something dumb I did.

Anyway, this combo is much faster than I expected, and looks to have very nice accuracy potential.

80 Grains 3557 fps - No pressure signs
81 Grains 3601 fps - No pressure signs
82 Grains 3643 Pressure - ejector mark on brass & poi jumped up 4" at 600 yards

79-81 Grains were all within 2" vertically and 3" horizontally at 600 yards.

Going to load a bunch at 80 grains, which should put me in a nice wide accuracy node, well below pressure in this rifle, at about 3550 fps.

Not a good time to be a wild pig, when I test terminal performance.

Just got back from the range. Thanks for the information. 81.5 of
of H1000 dialed me right in for my Winchester. Heading for colorado tomorrow.

28" 1-8 twist Broughton 5c 180 lapua scenars 75.4 Retumbo 2850fps on the Magneto speed...no pressure signs. 1/2 inch grp for 5 rnds
80 degrees- 68 hum.

28" 1-8 twist Broughton 5c 180 lapua scenars 75.4 Retumbo 2850fps on the Magneto speed...no pressure signs. 1/2 inch grp for 5 rnds
80 degrees- 68 hum.
You should be able to increase that substantially with RL26, RL33 or H1000. RL26 seems to give some crazy high velocities with the light and mid range bullets up to around 175gr.

I'm shooting The Peregrine VLR5 153gr (prototypes) and if my numbers are correct we're somewhere around 3,450-3,500fps. Terminal performance is like hitting them with a lightning bolt. I have yet to have a big boar or a deer take even one step after being hit decently with that load.

You should be able to increase that substantially with RL26, RL33 or H1000. RL26 seems to give some crazy high velocities with the light and mid range bullets up to around 175gr.

I'm shooting The Peregrine VLR5 153gr (prototypes) and if my numbers are correct we're somewhere around 3,450-3,500fps. Terminal performance is like hitting them with a lightning bolt. I have yet to have a big boar or a deer take even one step after being hit decently with that load.

I have some RL33 and will try it with the 180ELD-M i just picked up.

Thanks

Should work well for you. Rl33 is particularly good wit the heavies. Much cleaner burning than Retumbo but otherwise very similar results. 26 typically runs better velocity wise but I haven't even looked to see if therest any data for it with heavies in the STW.

I've been way too busy with work to finish working up a load for my Mark V. Have figured out it doesn't shoot the heavier bullets well, so focusing on 140 gr end of scale. That said, I did get an end of season whitetail hunt in with the STW since the scope on my old reliable 700 .270 is broken. Shot a nice 8 point buck with factory Nosler ballistic tip 140 at a little over 100 yards. Bullet went smooth through his chest and didn't expand or drop the deer. Didn't run far, but expected DRT, feet up results. Any suggestions on a bullet that will work for close quarters work?
IMG_20190104_102607.jpg