7mm stw grizzly load

I haven't used a Nosler Partition at 500 yds, I've used it at around 400, and did not have issues with accuracy or performance. I've not used them in a while.

I do have some 140gr, 160gr and 175gr in 7mm for when the need comes up

Never shot Partitions at long range either. BCs aren't very good and after a shot or two, the tips on the remaining bullets in the magazine have either been pounded flat or bent into a 90 degree angle. These defects don't seem to make much difference at a hundred yards but these variable B.C.s are going to have an effect at some distance.

Do yourself a favor (and the guide) Leave the 7STW at home and step up to the 30 cal for griz, at least a 300 Win Mag, loaded with 180-200 gr Swift A-Frame bullets, I refuse to take hunters with 7mm anything even for moose, just too many bears around to be undergunned and hate the idea of having to pump multiple shots into game, should ALWAYS be one and done ....

forget the Berger Hunting/Hybrid and Hornady ELDX-M bullets, while they do work and have been used successfully on griz and moose in 30 and 338 cal, you have to have an absolute perfect shot with zero margin for error and that is just not wise on a close quarters griz hunt, guides aren't too happy to go searching for a wounded bear in the last hour of light , or anytime of the day ..... or ever

Do you really think a 180gr out of a 300wm will be materially better than a 175 out of an 7STW? I think that is total BS brother...will it penetrate better? Break through bone better? No. Probably worse actually...

Do you really think a 180gr out of a 300wm will be materially better than a 175 out of an 7STW? I think that is total BS brother...will it penetrate better? Break through bone better? No. Probably worse actually...

Hi FIGJAM, from the Nosler manual #8 , essentially they are both pretty much on the same par of each other. The 7mm STW has just a slight edge in FPS over the 300WinMag when comparing 175gr vs 200gr bullets, but "maybe" 100fps if that; I didn't check bullet energy but suspect that the 300WinMag 200gr will top the 175gr STW. Personally I would leave them both home and take "at least" 338WinMag. I've never been grizzly hunting, however have some friends who have been traveling to Beaver Mountain area of Alaska for decades for spot and stalk hunting for grizzly. They changed from 300WinMags to 338 WinMags the year following an incident where one of their hunting party was charged and mauled from a grizzly that was shot with a 300WinMag. These guys are all hardcore, seasoned, bear hunters, one of the group is a certified Alaskan guide. For me when dealing with personal safety one can "never" be overly cautious or overly protected. If I'm asking myself whether I'm carrying enough gun to protect myself or not, then I've already answered the question!! If I were confident in what I was carrying that question would not be in a thread with 4 pages and 50 responses to it. For the life of me I cannot figure out the reasoning behind carrying something that is minimal to protect oneself ("ought to be enough) over something that you know will get the job done; and, we're not talking about what bullet is better than the other.

Never shot Partitions at long range either. BCs aren't very good and after a shot or two, the tips on the remaining bullets in the magazine have either been pounded flat or bent into a 90 degree angle. These defects don't seem to make much difference at a hundred yards but these variable B.C.s are going to have an effect at some distance.

Excuse my ignorance Cross, how do the bullet lead tips get bent or damaged? I've never had this happen before. Is this using an external magazine?

I figured it was pretty common with Nosler Partitions. Standard internal magazine on a Remington Model 700. After a few shots the lead on the top of the bullets is deformed from slamming the front of the magazine box during recoil. I knew it happened to me but I started hunting with a guy from work who reported exactly the same thing. It's not just in magnums either. He was shooting a Weatheby Mark V in 300 Wby and I was shooting a Rem Model 700 Classic in 30-06. I might be able to find some examples around here for pictures but I moved to the Partition protected points 20 years ago so I may not have any around. I'll look.

I'm surprised you haven't seen the same thing. I guess I thought everyone had the same issue.

Cross

Last edited:
It's pretty common with Nosler Partitions. Standard internal magazine on a Remington Model 700. After a few shots the lead on the top of the bullets is deformed from slamming the front of the magazine box during recoil. I knew it happened to me but I started hunting with a guy from work who reported exactly the same thing. It's not just in magnums either. He was shooting a Weatheby Mark V in 300 Wby and I was shooting a Rem Model 700 Classic in 30-06. I might be able to find some examples around here for pictures but I moved to the Partition protected points 20 years ago so I may not have any around. I'll look.

Cross

That is new to me, learned something new today, thanks.

I haven't shot partitions in a while, I have a few of them but I usually hunt coues, mulies and javelina so not much need for them. And I have a few Accubonds and Interbonds for when and if I ever get drawn for elk.

Hi FIGJAM, from the Nosler manual #8 , essentially they are both pretty much on the same par of each other. The 7mm STW has just a slight edge in FPS over the 300WinMag when comparing 175gr vs 200gr bullets, but "maybe" 100fps if that; I didn't check bullet energy but suspect that the 300WinMag 200gr will top the 175gr STW. Personally I would leave them both home and take "at least" 338WinMag. I've never been grizzly hunting, however have some friends who have been traveling to Beaver Mountain area of Alaska for decades for spot and stalk hunting for grizzly. They changed from 300WinMags to 338 WinMags the year following an incident where one of their hunting party was charged and mauled from a grizzly that was shot with a 300WinMag. These guys are all hardcore, seasoned, bear hunters, one of the group is a certified Alaskan guide. For me when dealing with personal safety one can "never" be overly cautious or overly protected. If I'm asking myself whether I'm carrying enough gun to protect myself or not, then I've already answered the question!! If I were confident in what I was carrying that question would not be in a thread with 4 pages and 50 responses to it. For the life of me I cannot figure out the reasoning behind carrying something that is minimal to protect oneself ("ought to be enough) over something that you know will get the job done; and, we're not talking about what bullet is better than the other.

I am not arguing that a heavier bullet wouldn't be better - I have a hard time when somebody smirks at the OP wanting to use a 175gr bullet in a 7STW, but then turn around and say a 180gr bullet in a 300 wm is "ok". That doesn't make any sense to me and really seems like an ignorant comment. Those bullets are so close in weight and the sectional density goes to the 7mm 175gr as does the velocity...seems like the 175gr 7STW might actually be superior to a 180gr 300wm

Excuse my ignorance Cross, how do the bullet lead tips get bent or damaged? I've never had this happen before. Is this using an external magazine?

I've had the tips on Nosler partitions flatten out. The core material/lead appears to be soft, if you simply drop the loaded Nosler rounds into a plastic case the tips will deform/flatten out slightly. Or if they're loosely stored in your pocket while hunting the tips will/can flatten out slightly, at least for my 308 and 30-06 ammunition. I hunt with Ruger77s or Hawkeye, the magazine wells are slightly shorter that other rifles, recoil will also flatten the tips out unless the cartridge is pushed to the rear of the magazine well. For me the deformity or flattening has never been insignificant for the distances that I have been hunting at.

Any thoughts re: grizzly hunting with 458 Win Mag vs.458 Lott? I have a Win M70 in Super Express Grade in 458 Win Mag. Is it worthwhile to have it reamed to 458 Lott?

The 458 Lott is another hammer and would be worth the effort if you wanted something bigger than the 458 WM. The problem comes with managing recoil. (The Lott has plenty and I recommend a muzzle brake), At least for practice. A barrel nut can be installed for hunting if you don't like the brake for hunting.

You cant go to big in caliber as long as you can handle recoil. I would recommend a 416 or larger for the big bears, unless you just cant justify one.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

If you're worried about the tips on Partitions (or any soft point bullet) flattening out from recoil on the magazine well, just hack 'em off even with the copper jacket using a razor blade. Maybe 3 or 4 grains loss in weight, no change in accuracy but you might lose a point or three of b.c. And they work as usual. Had it happen at the range, bent a couple over pretty good after topping off the magazine, got out the Leatherman tool & fixed 'em! Both shot into the same group, so no worries. The front portion of a Partition is pure lead, the base I don't know. Never had one turn around & seperate from the jacket. I've only heard two complaints regarding Partitions, 1. They just won't shoot in some rifles (personally, I've sold rifles that wouldn't shoot them) and 2. At shorter ranges they sometimes work too well. Had a buddy in Tucson pop a mid sized coues at about 50 yds with a 270 Wby with a 130 Partition and it totally destroyed 1 shoulder & a few other bits. Poor little thing was a mess! Sure didn't go anywhere, tho!
Cheers,
crkckr

Would provably be an issue in my 7mm-08 with the short magazine space, but on my 7 Rem Mag I have enough space left so no worries there. While on an ammo box as I read on another post yesterday, use foam or cotton balls to protect them.

Absolutely .........

I have a 7mm Norma Mag Imp (7mm LRH) and still would not choose it over even a 30-'06 and 180 gr Swift AFrame bullets when looking for griz ... 30 cals kill better than any 7mm every time and always will

Had a 7mm Rem Mag and absolutely hated the damned things failure to drop moose, It was always a multiple shot affair or search mission, my old man still uses it but I've gotten tired of searching and now always shoot his moose after his shot, got last Septembers moose on video, 7mm shot through lungs and heart at 50 yards, moose takes off towards steep thick brushed impenetrable canyon, My 338 barked and a 270 gr Badlands bullet smashed the bull into the turf

go ahead and take a 7mm on a griz hunt, rest assured it won't be happening in my camp .... no 7's , 30-'06 and up, no exceptions

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.