7mm stw grizzly load

It's a shame that there are very few round nose bullets available any more Because they are absolute hammers on dangerous game. We are partly responsible for this because of the distance we like to shoot, we need high BCs but when most were shooting 300 yards on average you could choose the bullet stile.

J E CUSTOM

It's a shame that there are very few round nose bullets available any more Because they are absolute hammers on dangerous game. We are partly responsible for this because of the distance we like to shoot, we need high BCs but when most were shooting 300 yards on average you could choose the bullet stile.

J E CUSTOM

You are absolutely correct, it seems like many have forgotten or have ever been exposed to the benefits of those long, round nosed bullets from yesteryear. I used to reload for a friend who hunted with a Karl Gustaf, 6.5 X 55mm Swedish Mauser. The rifle had the original open sights with an 18 inch (?) barrel; it was a short handy rifle. My friend liked the heavy 160gr, round nose bullets for deer hunting in Maine. Every deer he ever shot with that round was one shot DRT performance. I think that those bullets were an inch long of better. The other old reliable was the round nose, 180gr Cor-Lokt 30-06 ammunition, out to a 100 yards they were deadly on any game. This is a LRH forum so don't expect that there will be too much interest in these long, round nosed bullets, but they do work well for 100-200 yard hunting situations.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I'll be hunting interior grizz in Alaska this fall. They are North Slope bears so not giants. I do a ton of bear black bear hunting in lower 48 and my 160 grain accubond out of my stw do the trick. im thinking of loading a 175 eldx or 180 grain Berger but just curious what you guys think would be best round for grizz. I'm pretty new to reloading so sorry for sounding clueless.
Check out "Hammer Bullets" website. He is a very knowledgeable fella, and bullets are the real deal!

For a 7mm on a grizzly I would be shooting 175 A-Frames. While I don't believe they necessarily produce the most dramatic results on impact, I do believe that nothing will out perform them on penetration, especially when you hit heavy bone. I love all the other bullets mentioned but if I absolutely, positively wanted to be able to break both front shoulders within a couple hundred yards, that would be my first choice.

Cross

Any thoughts re: grizzly hunting with 458 Win Mag vs.458 Lott? I have a Win M70 in Super Express Grade in 458 Win Mag. Is it worthwhile to have it reamed to 458 Lott?

I'm a dyed in the wool Partition guy and they are the only bullet I hunt with when it comes to big game. Nearly every bullet manufactured today is compared to the Partition when it comes to terminal performance. This is especially true when it comes to critters that can bite back! I will also be the first to admit the Partitions won't shoot well out of every rifle. Still, in my not so humble opinion, they should be the starting point for anyone contemplating hunting anything that might bite you. Next choice would be the A-Frame, and then the higher weight mono's as a last resort. You might as well start this quest with what is potentially the best possible bullet you can buy! Yes, it's just my opinion, maybe worth what you pay for it, but it's based on years and years of results from a lot of hunters who didn't want to take a chance on being bitten! While I've personally never taken a bear, I have some 250 Partitions loaded up in my .338 WM just in case the opportunity ever came up! I trust Partitions, with my life in this case. While it *always* comes down to shot placement, these bullets will 'CYA' as well as any bullet can.
Cheers,
crkckr

For a 7mm on a grizzly I would be shooting 175 A-Frames. While I don't believe they necessarily produce the most dramatic results on impact, I do believe that nothing will out perform them on penetration, especially when you hit heavy bone. I love all the other bullets mentioned but if I absolutely, positively wanted to be able to break both front shoulders within a couple hundred yards, that would be my first choice.

Cross

Agree and I would add the 175gr Nosler Partition as the only other option.

Bonded bullets are very good but they are not a partitioned bullet, period. And you dont need a high BC bullet for this, you aren't shooting at the bear at a 1,000 yd

Monolithics do not cause a wide wound channel like a partitioned bullet either.

175gr Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame, plain and simple.

Partitions create a wicked and deep wound channel. The 175 partitions would be a super choice.

Thanks everyone. I think Im gonna workup a round with the Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame. I traditionally have shot the Nosler Accubonds well out of my STW. I will try one of those 2. Thanks so much for all your help!

Just an outside thought as a new reloader. Its to bad you cannot order smaller portions of bullets, especially for something like this. To bad you cannot get like 10 or so of several bullets to try them out and see what you like

Just an outside thought as a new reloader. Its to bad you cannot order smaller portions of bullets, especially for something like this. To bad you cannot get like 10 or so of several bullets to try them out and see what you like
Go to the classifieds on this site and post a want to buy. I dont have any of the bullets you are looking for but somebody will have some partial boxes laying around.
Lat month i sent a guy 15 each of 7 different .284 bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts