7mm stw with 195 Eol Berger load info.

How much Reloader 26 are you guys using?
I have 1 STW with a 28 inch Kreiger barrel 76.5 grains of 26 3,055 on lab radar great groups. I have only shot this one out to 973. this one is chambered for 195
Mcwhorter 26 inch carbon in stw sendero light w/titanium action 75.5 grains of 26
great groups .shoot 180 vld in this one. shot this one out to 830 last yr. in Wyoming. 18 degrees f ,24mph almost direct crosswind and performed flawlessly.
one son has a mcwhorter 26 inch hart barrel, titanium action. shoots the 195 @ 3,050also he shot a cow elk last yr @ 524 in the head. enough said 75 grains of 26.
The other son has a STW w/26 inch benchmark/ defiance action, Manners eh-1
shoots 180 vld 3,075 w/75.5 grains of 26.
I didn`t do any ladder testor anything ,have only been reloading about 5-6 yrs.
Started out using h-1000, Retumbo, but when I received a starting receipe from the guys at Mcwhorter using reloader 26 everything just got noticeably better. After that happened I made me a trip to Georgia to meet the guys at McWhorter and bought my first one. We now have 4 in the family. These guys love the STW. Have a nice day.

Retumbo in the STW (or any other cartridge for that matter) was never consistent, nor did it produce any good groups for me. Still got some sitting on the bench collecting dust. I have found that 7977 when testing with my .300 Ackley (similar design and capacity to the STW) was producing an ES of 14 FPS and an SD of 7 FPS.
H100 or RL33 with the heavies.

Personally I see no point in toing to such a heavy bullet for a 7mm. If I want to shoot 180's or heavier I break out the .300's or .375's.

The STW is at it's best with the 162-180gr class bullets.

H100 or RL33 with the heavies.

Personally I see no point in toing to such a heavy bullet for a 7mm. If I want to shoot 180's or heavier I break out the .300's or .375's.

The STW is at it's best with the 162-180gr class bullets.
We'll have to agree to disagree on bullet weight's for cartridges...I always lean towards the heavies (you know that :D). I have big .30's in the safe as well, but the STW & .28 Nosler with the 195's are ballistically phenomenal, with lower recoil than the big .30's or larger caliber bores. I'm not recoil sensitive, but for those that are, that would be a positive check mark for the STW.

That's like saying the .308 Win is at its best when you shoot 168-175 grainers... When ballistically, the 210's and 215's are holding their own against all the faster "flatter" 6.5's. Bryan Litz used a .308 Win with 215's to beat out everyone with 6.5's at his very first FTR comp. :cool:

Now, I'm not saying that other cartridges don't have validity, I'm just saying that thanks to technology, lots of these older cartridges have now found new life, and are more relevant than ever. It's good to see the revitalization of the older cartridges, and watching them hold their own against all the "new" cartridges.

We'll have to agree to disagree on bullet weight's for cartridges...I always lean towards the heavies (you know that :D). I have big .30's in the safe as well, but the STW & .28 Nosler with the 195's are ballistically phenomenal, with lower recoil than the big .30's or larger caliber bores. I'm not recoil sensitive, but for those that are, that would be a positive check mark for the STW.

That's like saying the .308 Win is at its best when you shoot 168-175 grainers... When ballistically, the 210's and 215's are holding their own against all the faster "flatter" 6.5's. Bryan Litz used a .308 Win with 215's to beat out everyone with 6.5's at his very first FTR comp. :cool:

Now, I'm not saying that other cartridges don't have validity, I'm just saying that thanks to technology, lots of these older cartridges have now found new life, and are more relevant than ever. It's good to see the revitalization of the older cartridges, and watching them hold their own against all the "new" cartridges.
I just can't see turning a 600yds lazer into a 1,000yds mortar.

Trust me, I get where you're coming from, just saying that I prefer the heavies. And as for a 1,000 yard mortar, just about any cartridge pushing any true LR bullet that far is going to be a mortar...Especially those .338's and larger...

Trust me, I get where you're coming from, just saying that I prefer the heavies. And as for a 1,000 yard mortar, just about any cartridge pushing any true LR bullet that far is going to be a mortar...Especially those .338's and larger...
With essentially any practical hunting cartridge, you will have to adjust your elevation turret (if you dial) to make a hit much past 450 yards, even with the flattest shooting of cartridges. Due to that fact, it causes me no physical pain to turn my wrist a little more to add a few more clicks on my elevation turret (as well as a few less on my windage turret) to drop that heavy for caliber projectile in there, since I'm already dialing, to deliver a shot with much less wind drift, much more impact velocity, and much more energy to a target, not to mention extend the practical range if my firearm.

BUT, I live in Wyoming, with really open country, and ever-present wind. The average shot distance this year of everyone that hunts in my immediate family was over 600 yards, with the farthest this year being a pronghorn at 980. The story would be much different if I lived somewhere where my MAX distance may be 600 yards, and the average more around 300. In that case, I would search for a load that would give me my absolute farthest hold-on-fur trajectory, and not be as concerned with wind drift and retained velocity/energy, because most any high power rifle load will have enough at those ranges to do the job. As with most things with firearms, it is very much dependent upon your intended use!!

You should run some ballistics before you call a 162-180 gr a lazer and a 195 a mortar... less drop and more energy at the farther distances that the bullet this thread is about don't seem to fit the terms your using. I could see the argument for a guy with a 140 gr and a 400 yr zero but your terms/weights don't add up.

For the 180's I had great luck with Retumbo as I got a little more speed than H1000, yet my hunting partner had the exact opposite for his gun. For the 195's I run RL33 and have zero complaints.. the temp sensitivity had me some what worried but I've shot them in 70 degree weather all the way down to negative temps with the rounds sitting in the truck for several days before hitting the range and I didn't have a change.
I run RL26 in other guns and plan to give it a try with the 195's this winter when a new blank gets screwed on.

You should run some ballistics before you call a 162-180 gr a lazer and a 195 a mortar... less drop and more energy at the farther distances that the bullet this thread is about don't seem to fit the terms your using. I could see the argument for a guy with a 140 gr and a 400 yr zero but your terms/weights don't add up.
90% of my shooting is between 300-600yds.

Don't get me wrong now. I have not tried then 195 in my stw wrong twist.

But I have a 7 rem mag, 28 proof 195 vit n 570 3005 es of 5

With 69.5 gains

Much more efficient than the stw.

10" 3 shot at a mile.. yes it shoots

Don't get me wrong now. I have not tried then 195 in my stw wrong twist.

But I have a 7 rem mag, 28 proof 195 vit n 570 3005 es of 5

With 69.5 gains

Much more efficient than the stw.

10" 3 shot at a mile.. yes it shoots
No, it's not "more efficient" it's simply the law of diminishing returns. For any given bore size you simply get to a point where the return on increased case capacity dwindles.

The case capacity of the STW is at about that point where for 7mm's any additional gain in velocity for greater capacity is minimal. For all of the fire and fury of the 7mm Rum along with the recoil and muzzle blast there is very little return in increased velocity.

With the right powder and a 26-28" barrel, the STW will run rings around the 7RM with a gain of 150-200fps.

Lol. Yes I agree with half the barrel life. With today's tech. It's just a few more clicks..

Yes I have a rum and stw before lane s came out with it..

Lol. Yes I agree with half the barrel life. With today's tech. It's just a few more clicks..

Yes I have a rum and stw before lane s came out with it..
Half the barrel life? No, that's not remotely true either. If you don't run them hot and just keep shooting the STW's expected barrel life is about 2/3 to 3/4 that of the 7RM.

With the modern slow burning powders you can extend that even further. My original STW is closing in on 2000 Rounds and will still shoot MOA or better.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.